..::IZMone::..
+1|6657|Rotterdam, The Netherlands
It is almost imposible for infantry to play the game in a fun way. My opinion is that they should reduce the arty strike to a limit of 4x. The unlimmited arty strike fucks up the whole game.

It is also my opinion that a commander should take more care of his troops then try to get a high score by bombing the whole map. Let infantry do there work end dont mess it up with a arty strike. Dont you (commanders) see that when several infantry troops are fighting over a flag...... we have fun doing that???
That is the whole meaning of YOUR infantry.... capping flags by going to battle.

I always get pissed when you are in a tight battle and a commander drops is arty right in the funzone :-(

Thats why i think they should drop a limmit on the arty....... so the commander will use it when IN NEED and he can put more time in commanding his troop and help them by giving them supplies when asked for!!!

Gr. Izm

Last edited by ..::IZMone::.. (2006-02-25 06:54:42)

he_who_says_zonk
+17|6691
The commander doesn't get any points for an arty strike, good or bad.

Personally I wish artillery worked like in bf1942, where a player would be sitting on the ranged guns, and a sniper class would spot targets for them, that was awesome.

And I wish there were no commander assets in SF because to me that defeats the purpose of it being about special forces. Especially on the night levels. Are we supposed to believe that the artillery was set up by elite special forces logistics / engineering crew who infiltrated the map and secretly built massive guns on it?

But in vanilla I don't mind it, I just wish it wasn't automated and was more like 1942 / dc.

Another thing to remember is that artillery strikes, if they kill a lot of enemies, are a fast effective ticket bleed. If the game is extremely close, a well-placed artillery strike will win it.
evillbill
+-1|6705|West Oz

he_who_says_zonk wrote:

Another thing to remember is that artillery strikes, if they kill a lot of enemies, are a fast effective ticket bleed. If the game is extremely close, a well-placed artillery strike will win it.
Amen to that.

As for the first comment, it's not the arty, it is the commander that is at fault. If his troops are getting owned by enemy arty then he should direct a squad over to sort it out. A medic+support+spec_ops usually does the trick. If he is bombing his own, then try go commander yourself, or go to another server.

I have found that removing the enemy assets for 5 minutes or so at the beginning of the game on most maps make it difficult for the other team to win.
Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6618
Personally I dont mind getting kicked by arty at all - it's part of the game and I'm not playing it to pick flowers right next to the enemy flag. If it starts to rain, seek cover and if you get killed... respawn and do it again!
On a sidenote it's not only infantry getting asskicked by arty - vehicles, choppers (and prolly planes) dont exactly like arty as well
Rathji
+1|6654

..::IZMone::.. wrote:

It is almost imposible for infantry to play the game in a fun way. My opinion is that they should reduce the arty strike to a limit of 4x. The unlimmited arty strike fucks up the whole game.

It is also my opinion that a commander should take more care of his troops then try to get a high score by bombing the whole map. Let infantry do there work end dont mess it up with a arty strike. Dont you (commanders) see that when several infantry troops are fighting over a flag...... we have fun doing that???
That is the whole meaning of YOUR infantry.... capping flags by going to battle.

I always get pissed when you are in a tight battle and a commander drops is arty right in the funzone :-(

Thats why i think they should drop a limmit on the arty....... so the commander will use it when IN NEED and he can put more time in commanding his troop and help them by giving them supplies when asked for!!!

Gr. Izm
Smurfs make great Arty fodder, don't be a smurf.
JimKong
+31|6613|Ohio
If anything there should be more arty. You must suck pretty hardcore if arty makes maps hard for you. BTW, the commander could have all the time in the world to "command" but that doesn't mean squads will actually listen to their orders.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6642
I have been playing commander alot.   Ihave noticed alot of the rounds are won by a good commander.

However very few people accualy listen to them (Or are not in a squad).  I didn't, until playing commander for a while..  When scaning, I can see what the enemy plans to do, and when I say "Attack/defend here", it's because I know something you don't.

Now I listen to the commanders. 

*Tip* If your going to be a commander, use you comms, it's helps.
{RS}Diamonddog
+6|6613|Weymouth, England
I wish i could play without arty half the time. It's a pain when your on karkand and at first mec flag your constantly getting arty'd over and over. It's alot more fun when the arties been taken out then you can concentrate on the game and not worrie about it. It would be nice to have it as a sever option not to have arty.
frankie4fingers08-2
+0|6724
have over 130 hours as commander and I think the arty is necessary... you can push the enemy back so your guys can go in can cap a flag or gain real estate.   i know there are many more, but if your squads dont listen or follow orders, what other fun does a commander have, but to bomb the shit out of guys.   

personally, I tend to support squads that take flags and follow orders...  More uav over their areas, priority on supply crates, stuff like that, spotting for them as they move to a CP.

FYI,

Frankie
BVC
+325|6666
If anything, I'd prefer to see the UAV powered down, or maybe some maps with no/limited commander assets.  eg. A "bad-weather" map with no air power, or UAV/sat
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6800|Denver colorado
you learn to deal with it or BLOW IT UP. thats why bf2 is cool. if there is a think watching you you can bomb it blow it up or just kill it
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6725
A good commander doesnt simply use artillery to kill a large number of enemies, but to protect flags that are uninhabitted (So only a whole squad can take a flag, not an individual, So the game is more about TEAM WORK), strike an area to force enemy forces towards your own side, to take out well dug in snipers & infantry who are causing harm to your team but arent being taken out by your ground troops.

Of course it sucks getting hit by artillery, but it sucks just as much to get hit by a tank over & over or be shot over & over. If artillery is the only thing that is killing you when your infantry, you should consider yourself lucky.
imortal
+240|6635|Austin, TX
Actually, as a former redleg (I was a US Army Field Artillery Fire Direction Controller- and that is the short title), I kind of wish artillery was a vehicle in the game.  The commander points where on the map to shoot, and you shoot it.  The opposing commander gets to see where the arty strike came from.   You drive around, right-click to see the map, mouseclick the target, and SHOT!  SPLASH! and rounds complete!   long reload time, and just to be fair, give you an f2 position witha  .50 cal for close defense.  The driver then gets the kills for his shots, not the commander. 

Wait, the commander doesn't get any points for his kills.  Well, someone could get them, now. 

Oh, and yes, the driver would get TeamKills as well.  You pays your money, you takes your chances.  You are also depending on the commander to tell you accurately where to target your arty barrage.  The arty vehicles would also make it a bit more.... interesting for the Spec Ops to take out... bring on the anti tank and the vehicle raid.

I know it is a pipe dream, but I can hope, right?  Anyone wanna make fun of my idea?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

Arillery is part of the game, and a pretty wicked part too. No, it's not accurate. I once placed an artillery strike symbol above an enemy Sniper's head and he lived through the strike.

So we get killed by artillery sometimes, who cares. We're in the wrong place at the wrong time - it happens. If you die in game you're at the wrong place at the wrong time, it's as simple as that. For example a moving target Sniper shot. I didn't shoot you, you ran into my bullet.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
yerded
Bertinator
+255|6607|Westminster, California
Yup,
More players should squad up and interact with the commander. Playing commander when you have two or three crack squads demanding orders and following them makes it quite challenging and fun. I've gotten into pitched arty battles with opposing commanders as we try to take out each others assets and each other. Good stuff. I've also been in rooms where people initiate a mutiny after ten seconds of game play because their bitter I guess about not being commander, don't form squads or follow orders. I find that in those situations people shouldn't comlain about commanders fighting and using assets for their own gain.
     I like the foul weather server settings ideas far as Sat. and UAV,  but arty is not limited by weather and having spotters is an option now as players can usually call in artry strikes.

If your not in a squad you shouldn't be able to start a mutiny.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado
Thats a good idea about the artillery having to be maned...
FirePhoenix
+18|6610|hamilton, scotland
i like artillery and thin its a necessary part of the game, if my sqauds are the type who dont listen to me yet still manage to capture flags then boviosuly they aint go the the flags to protct them however i can still arty that flag to protect it.
i guess most people dont listen to commanders most of the time cause they do suck.
Once i decided to do all of my commanders bidding and got the highest point in the game just running aroung capping flags.
DSRTurtle
+56|6656
I love arty. You can do so much with it.  If your on my team and your capping flags and killing bad guys, you get all the support I can give you.  Including arty strikes on the flag time to finish falling as you arrive in the area.  If your 1 on 3 or 4, well you can expect an Arty strike to defend the flag. 

Lonewolves are on their own.  I will occassionally support you if I see an advantage for the whole team in doing so.
DTAC
+9|6711
Squading make it's much easier for commanders esp witgh arty. A lot of times I see the enemy grouping to take a flag and as I am about to launch an attack I see some lone wolf decide to go it alone. If I arty him, it's a near guaranteed munity vote.
frankie4fingers08-2
+0|6724

DSRTurtle wrote:

I love arty. You can do so much with it.  If your on my team and your capping flags and killing bad guys, you get all the support I can give you.  Including arty strikes on the flag time to finish falling as you arrive in the area.  If your 1 on 3 or 4, well you can expect an Arty strike to defend the flag. 

Lonewolves are on their own.  I will occassionally support you if I see an advantage for the whole team in doing so.
great point about the lonewolves... i dont give them much by way of support, unless they are capping flags or giving a good attempt.....  Its so much better either making a squad and locking yourself in or joing a squad.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard