Poll

Should cluster munitions be banned?

Yes32%32% - 39
No57%57% - 70
Don't care9%9% - 12
Total: 121
mikkel
+383|6602
Chemical and biological weapons have been banned with reasonable success. Mines have been banned with reasonable success. Most weapons that are potentially dangerous over long periods of times and likely to harm civilians long after fighting has ceased have been banned with reasonable success. Any nation using weapons known to leave volatile residue dangerous to civilians should revise the morality of their views on warfare. There's no excuse for this.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

They should be banned until they can get the number of them that don't explode, which battlefield research has shown to be a way higher number than the manufacturers claim, right down. If having unexploded cluster bomb munitions was not an issue then I'd have no problem with their use.

The issue is not with them being a big dangerous indiscriminate weapon. It is because unexploded ones lie around for ages and can end up randomly killing civilians.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6494|N. Ireland
I think weapon control should be more focused on civilians rather than military, frankly.
RECONDO67
+60|6637|miami FL
cluster bombs are good against military target but they are useless against insurgents and unfortunately that is the kind of war the US is bound to fight for the up coming decades
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6715|US
No ban, just better submunitions.

Yes, UXOs are bad.  However, you don't ban weapons out of the fear that they won't work.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

DUBLIN: UN chief Ban Ki-moon called yesterday for a "visionary" global deal to ban claywhoring noobs.
/howiinterpretthis
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Bound their acceptable use, but don't ban them.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
mikkel
+383|6602

RAIMIUS wrote:

Yes, UXOs are bad.  However, you don't ban weapons out of the fear that they won't work.
No one is talking about banning people out of fear that they don't work. People are talking about banning weapons out of fear that they can kill civilians many years after they've been dropped.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6715|US

mikkel wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

No one is talking about banning people out of fear that they don't work. People are talking about banning weapons out of fear that they can kill civilians many years after they've been dropped.
HUH?

I perfectly understand what is being promoted.  I am of the opinion that more reliable submunitions should be used to reduce the UXO problem.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

iamangry wrote:

Yeah, we should definitely ban cluster bombs.  And stealth planes.  And TV missiles, satellite imagery, and anything else that America uses to generate a strategic and tactical advantage over it's adversaries.  Because that's what the UN is all about... leveling the playing field so wars last extra long.  Oh, and giving people food in exchange for oil, which is really a way of saying "bribing tyrants with access to valuable natural resources while making your own people think you're doing it for the starving children... and getting a little kick back for yourself."
Shut the fuck up k? You clearly have no idea of the damage these things can do.

You have to consider what kind of weapon this is. A weapon that kills, months after the conflict is over? Hmmm...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Commie Killer
+192|6388

Spark wrote:

iamangry wrote:

Yeah, we should definitely ban cluster bombs.  And stealth planes.  And TV missiles, satellite imagery, and anything else that America uses to generate a strategic and tactical advantage over it's adversaries.  Because that's what the UN is all about... leveling the playing field so wars last extra long.  Oh, and giving people food in exchange for oil, which is really a way of saying "bribing tyrants with access to valuable natural resources while making your own people think you're doing it for the starving children... and getting a little kick back for yourself."

You have to consider what kind of weapon this is. A weapon that kills, months after the conflict is over? Hmmm...
Everything can do that, and who the fuck gave you the right to tell him to shut the fuck up? Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California

Commie Killer wrote:

Spark wrote:

iamangry wrote:

Everything can do that, and who the fuck gave you the right to tell him to shut the fuck up? Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I give you the authority to tell him to STFU.  Git 'er done!

I think he may have confused UXO with XO or something;  unexploded ordnance vs. executive officer?  just a guess! lol
SealXo
+309|6537
quit being wimps
i think we should still have napalm and flame throwers

war is fucking war im tired of this "Humane war"
what the fuck is that shit.

especially when they use crazy shit like that on us, lets do it to them.
IRONCHEF
+385|6492|Northern California

SealXo wrote:

quit being wimps

Fire/Napalm is cool and all, but we don't need it when we got THIS!

Imagine a spectre gunship using metal storm...

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2008-05-23 16:10:46)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Commie Killer wrote:

Spark wrote:

iamangry wrote:

Can it? Can other weapons just lie around in the millions, looking like anything else, waiting for some kid to pick it up and get blasted?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
SealXo
+309|6537

IRONCHEF wrote:

SealXo wrote:

quit being wimps

Fire/Napalm is cool and all, but we don't need it when we got THIS!

Imagine a spectre gunship using metal storm...
yeah but you cant run up to a bunker and burn em out.
Wallpaper
+303|5995|The pool

Spark wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Spark wrote:

Can it? Can other weapons just lie around in the millions, looking like anything else, waiting for some kid to pick it up and get blasted?
Pretty much, yeah. Though being kids, no matter wtf it is, if its laying in a field chances are theyll be curious, and go jump on it, or something

EDIT: For the OP, hell no they shouldnt be banned.

Last edited by Wallpaper (2008-05-23 22:11:40)

NantanCochise
+55|5979|Portugal/United States
Long Live Cluster Bombs...
Laika
+75|5945
I liked what IRONCHEF said about keeping war as nasty as possible, so that way people aren't inclined to resort to war so quickly.

However, the fact that the cluster bombs are killing people after the conflict is over makes me think it would be better to ban them. We can always use other weapons.
Commie Killer
+192|6388

Ataronchronon wrote:

I liked what IRONCHEF said about keeping war as nasty as possible, so that way people aren't inclined to resort to war so quickly.

However, the fact that the cluster bombs are killing people after the conflict is over makes me think it would be better to ban them. We can always use other weapons.
But thats just the thing. Nothing is guaranteed to explode. Why dont we just ban everything else until only the other side has the weapons, and only the other side uses them. Seriously, like someone else said, wtf is this with humane war, what are you guys trying to do, make it easier to understand, to partake in? What happened to scaring the shit outta the other guy so bad that there isnt a war?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

All weapons have a certain number of UXOs (ie, "duds"). So should we ban ALL weapons? I think not.

If you're talking about the GATOR system (aerial dispersed mines), then your argument should be about anti-personnel/materiel mines, not CBUs.

Last edited by FEOS (2008-05-25 10:22:11)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5962|Washington DC
We should at least try to minimize UXOs.
Commie Killer
+192|6388

HurricaИe wrote:

We should at least try to minimize UXOs.
Im pretty sure thats already being tried. I think the military prefers shit that explodes, its not like they want them to be duds.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6464|Tyne & Wear, England
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6494|N. Ireland
That was scary. Live from Washington on the news today - Cluster bombs banned.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard