Poll

UK residents, what is your stance on a possible UK breakup?

I'm English and I support an independent England33%33% - 12
I'm English and I support the United Kingdom36%36% - 13
I'm Scottish and I support an independent Scotland2%2% - 1
I'm Scottish and I support the United Kingdom5%5% - 2
I'm N. Irish and I support an independent N. Irleand2%2% - 1
I'm N. Irish and I support a united Ireland8%8% - 3
I'm N. Irish and I support the United Kingdom2%2% - 1
I'm Welsh and I support an independent Wales0%0% - 0
I'm Welsh and I support the United Kingdom5%5% - 2
I'm still undecided2%2% - 1
Total: 36
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6467|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
I agree that Wales, Scotland and Northern ireland will become poorer without England, but come on people seriously, this is GREAT BRITAIN, we all grew up and know it as one...change now is unthinkable.
The union should stay solid!!
BVC
+325|6688
Null voted as requested.

As a citizen of a commonwealth country with many, many ties to the UK I'm keeping an eye on this, though I don't really know enough about the situation to offer commentary or opinion.

What do UKians think would happen re: the commonwealth?  Ties of friendship and diplomacy lie with the UK as a whole, not it's individual components.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

Id be happier with a free state of Northern Ireland. Uniting Ireland used to be something I was extremely passionate about. The government in the Republic is rotten and only cared about the North when it made financial sense to them. Now it doesn't, they cut us loose and showed their real colours. Fuck them, doesn't matter anyway. Europe will encroach on each countries sovereignty bit by bit until we are all one supper state anyway. That makes me ill.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

JahManRed wrote:

Id be happier with a free state of Northern Ireland. Uniting Ireland used to be something I was extremely passionate about. The government in the Republic is rotten and only cared about the North when it made financial sense to them. Now it doesn't, they cut us loose and showed their real colours. Fuck them, doesn't matter anyway. Europe will encroach on each countries sovereignty bit by bit until we are all one supper state anyway. That makes me ill.
There are many down here who still care passionately about the occupied six counties JahMan - but you're right: the further south you go the more self-indulgent mé féiners you get...

However, a good friend of mine is big in Fianna Fáil and he assures me that Brian Cowen is a very different fish from Bertie Aherne. He's a through and through Irish Republican for a start.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-05-21 02:07:03)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

ELITE-UK wrote:

I agree that Wales, Scotland and Northern ireland will become poorer without England, but come on people seriously, this is GREAT BRITAIN, we all grew up and know it as one...change now is unthinkable.
Great Britain only encompasses Scotland, England and Wales...
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

CameronPoe wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

There are many down here who still care passionately about the occupied six counties JahMan - but you're right: the further south you go the more self-indulgent mé féiners you get...

However, a good friend of mine is big in Fianna Fáil and he assures me that Brian Cowen is a very different fish from Bertie Aherne. He's a through and through Irish Republican for a start.
http://www.myspace.com/captainmoonlightkilkenny       Click on Dirty C$%ts in the player.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6456|Tyne & Wear, England

Pubic wrote:

What do UKians think would happen re: the commonwealth?  Ties of friendship and diplomacy lie with the UK as a whole, not it's individual components.
I think the commonwealth would still exist for Scotland, England and Wales, we would just become separate nations within the commonwealth as I see it.  N. Ireland, if re-united with Ireland would not however, as Ireland wanted nothing to do with the commonwealth.

I wonder what would be the fate of all of the colonial flags.  You know the Union Jack in the top left, would you guys keep them as being part of your history?
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
PureFodder
+225|6278
To be quite honest I really don't care much. I can't see it making much difference to me either way. Personally I'd like to see Britain becoming a closer part of Europe, which would negate a lot of the point of British devolution.

I'm English btw.
syndicat111
+39|6671|UK
Agreed, it would make little impact on me if the Scottish became independant, and if they really want independance, let them have it.  Dunno why some English people have a desire to keep the UK completely unified in all honesty, Scotlands not exactly a desirable place to live unless you enjoyed being stabbed 
Im more in favour of a greater focus on the Commonwealth, so that whilst we still hold an influence over say Scotland and Wales, they would be more free and have greater independance.

Last edited by syndicat111 (2008-05-21 07:32:51)

Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge

Bertster7 wrote:

I reckon it'd be good for England
I tend to agree.  I think a quote from my first link in the original post sums it up well.

"The Union had a purpose in 1707 but it doesn't now"
But what about our cushy permanent seat in the UN Security Council?  Or the G8?  I wouldn't just assume that they would plump for England.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

KILLSWITCH wrote:

But what about our cushy permanent seat in the UN Security Council?  Or the G8?  I wouldn't just assume that they would plump for England.
Of course they would. What's the population of England? 50 million? And Scotland and Wales? 5m maybe? WHo holds all the power? London.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-05-21 08:14:31)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6642
I just wish they'd all adopt the same fucking law system. Would have potentially given my opportunities to study British law in Scotland although I don't know why I'd do that. I was thinking about applying to Ireland but it's just too expensive to study there. Cam Poe do something about that man
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6493|so randum
I voted option 6.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

CameronPoe wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Of course they would. What's the population of England? 50 million? And Scotland and Wales? 5m maybe? WHo holds all the power? London.
There military credibility would take a pounding though.  There is a disproportionate amount of arms kept in Scotland, the nuclear naval base is located up there, the MOD's new navy destroyers and I think the carriers are already ordered and to be built in Glasgow (HMS diamond launched end of last year and there well into the next one, of six in that class).  Are they going to pull the rug from under them? 

Fazlane I think would cause problems.  Salmond wants all nuclear weapons out of Scotland, but I dont see them simply giving them to England (or indeed wales), though nor do I see them being allowed to keep them as a 'going away present'.

Theres also infastructure (like the refineries) and all sorts that England to keep its status as a world power would need to invest in, I cant see Brown/Cameron (who are both pro uninion) doing to well when he anounces major cuts in spending on schools and hospitals in order to rejig the whole country.  It cost the lot of us a fortune to go independant.

If it was as black and white as England subsidising Scotland and Wales I think we would of been broken up years ago.

Martyn
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6467|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND

CameronPoe wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

Great Britain only encompasses Scotland, England and Wales...
You know what i mean though.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge

CameronPoe wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

I'm not talking about nations from the former UK.  I mean up and coming nations, from around the world.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6100|Birmingham, UK
Fine, i support a break up.

Don't come crawling to England though when the other countries get in trouble.
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6651|South West England

ghettoperson wrote:

We'd be a lot richer without the Scots. That said, it works as it is, I don't see the point in changing it.
Pretty much my thoughts as well currently.
However that said, Scotlands statistical effect on Englands economy and politics aren't something I know enough about to make an finalised informed decision.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

XanKrieger wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

We'd be a lot richer without the Scots. That said, it works as it is, I don't see the point in changing it.
However that said, Scotland's statistical effect on England's economy and politics aren't something I know enough about to make an finalised informed decision.
The rest of the UK owes a debt to the Scott's. We grew for decades with the gas extracted from their waters. Now its gone, it seams its time to cut them loose.
Scotland and Wales will be fine. They have a relatively low population and unspoilt countryside. Tourism.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6642

JahManRed wrote:

XanKrieger wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

However that said, Scotland's statistical effect on England's economy and politics aren't something I know enough about to make an finalised informed decision.
The rest of the UK owes a debt to the Scott's. We grew for decades with the gas extracted from their waters. Now its gone, it seams its time to cut them loose.
Scotland and Wales will be fine. They have a relatively low population and unspoilt countryside. Tourism.
Except that despite the money they bring in from oil (and presumably gas as well) we're giving them far more money than they get from all the drilling. As I said though, no one would win by splitting it up and GB would find something else to waste the extra money on.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6346|West NY

jsnipy wrote:

I null voted out of respect.
Lol...what a great man you are.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard