YouWantFriesWithThat
+3|6639
Gee Bob, dat is da noicest lookin toaster I did ever see.
Can I have mine brown on both sides please?

No, but seriously dude, you should have bought some PC to go with that Ram.....

Im now thinking of changing my name....

How'bout   "YouWantRamWithThat?"

NO LIFE NITRO
Banned
+0|6639|Sydney, Aus
lol has it even got a GPU?
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6767|Tenn
try reading the posts bro...he already sed he had put a 7800 gt in there but it would over heat
KiLLMasTer
+3|6781|West Va (USA)
Very Very Nice....... /me can't stop looking at the Pics LoL
paladin
+0|6710|Phoenix, Arizona
So where is that beast getting colocated? What kind of connection and commit rate
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6722|Toronto, ON, CAN

Binximus wrote:

i wouldnt exactly call that server drool factor x1000... chuy why didnt you opt for optical scsci thatl shit all over any sata or basic scsci by miles!!

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/bladecenter/ now these things are fucking impressive since you can run like 15 of them in tandem!!! ...
Maybe because Chuy is in San Fran, where the electric bill costs more than the gas for his Hummer !!! =P

Everytime he would power the thing up, he can watch all his neighbors lights dim...
Not to mention that this is a server, he would have it online for us dweebs to check our stats every hour, 24 hours a day... he would need to have this in a cement bunker, just so he could get some sleep!
(edit: that would be if he had this at home, and not in a "secure facility"... sounds like the plant I work in... except most of the racks here have Sparcs in them, and some Juniper systems for Military use, oh and the 12 bay Lucent switching frames that we build for the customer... and for cooling, we produce our own liquid nitrogen at the plant, it saves hundreds of thousands in shipping costs.)

Props to you Chuy, I think it was a good choice. I think this would suffice for 6 months or so, then the ad money can pay for the memory upgrade to 64Gb...

Keep clicking those ads boys! Pappa's got to get some memory! =P

Last edited by SunTzu (2006-02-24 12:26:29)

ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6719|Las Vegas
I make it a point to click the ads every time I visit the site.  Those clicks are free and they help to pay the nut for this site.  If I could request one thing from Chuy it would be to PLEASE add more [unobtrusive] add content.  IMHO he should not only be breaking even for all his efforts but should also be making a tidy profit. 

I have no problem with any non popup ads from Crucial, OCZ, AMD, Intel, etc. which would insure the longevity of BF2S and also enrich Chuy for all of his efforts and out of pocket expenses.  Nothing wrong in my opinion for making an extra buck or three as an end result of his efforts.

Chuy: Please step aside from your pride (which is admirable) and embrace some targeted but unobtrusive advertising (which is profitable).  I for one would be much happier if you were making some extra cash from all of the time and expense your are putting into the site and not worrying where the next months bandwith payment is coming from ( in fact if I were to hear that you bought a new ride from the site profits I would be proud as hell to have contributed through my site usage...) Just a thought for whatever it's worth.

Anyone here agree?

Last edited by ShotYourSix (2006-02-24 18:37:58)

chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6847|"Frisco"

ShotYourSix wrote:

Anyone here agree?
/me raises a hand.

I'll probably increase the adsense viewableage in the future, as a most likely scenario -- they are doing fairly well.
LOWrider_NL
+1|6636

chuyskywalker wrote:

16 x 1gb sticks -- should do for a while. At least till I decided to upgrade them to 2gb sticks
lolz. you can't put 32GB in it cause AMD CPU's cant handle more then 16GB RAM. that wil save you some money
Whitegreek
Sniping with the pistol...
+4|6845

chuyskywalker wrote:

ShotYourSix wrote:

Anyone here agree?
/me raises a hand.

I'll probably increase the adsense viewableage in the future, as a most likely scenario -- they are doing fairly well.
With this new server does it mean that you'll be throwing more ads onto the website to pay for the server? If yes that'd really suck the only reason I saty on BF2s is the lack of ads and the clean look of it.

I think your real next plan of attack after getting this new server going is to address the signatures, surfing the internet and seeing the ugly "signatures not wokring" line is really starting to peave me off.
AD_Kensan
+7|6785

Whitegreek wrote:

With this new server does it mean that you'll be throwing more ads onto the website to pay for the server? If yes that'd really suck the only reason I saty on BF2s is the lack of ads and the clean look of it.

I think your real next plan of attack after getting this new server going is to address the signatures, surfing the internet and seeing the ugly "signatures not wokring" line is really starting to peave me off.
You are basically saying, give me a lot more but I don't want to give you anything for that. If we have learned one lesson by now it's the following: nothing is free, not even on the internet.

Chuy will not plaster the site with ads and pop-ups etc. He will integrate them into the site etc which is ok. With his attention to detail I am sure we will not be bothered. I think it's more than fair that the creator of this site whos putting in a ton of work and effort would get something more concrete in reward than just the "fame" and respect.
Whitegreek
Sniping with the pistol...
+4|6845

AD_Kensan wrote:

Whitegreek wrote:

You are basically saying, give me a lot more but I don't want to give you anything for that. If we have learned one lesson by now it's the following: nothing is free, not even on the internet.

Chuy will not plaster the site with ads and pop-ups etc. He will integrate them into the site etc which is ok. With his attention to detail I am sure we will not be bothered. I think it's more than fair that the creator of this site whos putting in a ton of work and effort would get something more concrete in reward than just the "fame" and respect.
Your right in saying but he'll only get paid for links that are clicked on, links that are intergrated and don't stand out won't get as many clicks.

It them becoems a thing of money vs. looks
Andrew
+2|6694|Birsbane, Australia
I am just a new random guy here all i can say is that so many people like your site. And the people who like it better do bother to get active in your fourms, and read it. So might i suggest you put 1 clean pop up on the link to vist the fourms. I am sure it won't do many people harm and if they really do like this site they will actually agree with the popup so they can 'give' something inreturn instead of always 'Receiving.' If somebody does not like that popup to the fourms then they are the ones doing wrong not you. Most people have a popup blocker anyway.
Andrew
+2|6694|Birsbane, Australia
From most of the things i have been reading you seem like a very good person. So if you do put a popup on the bf2 stats page might i suggest you do give like 50% to a charity and also note that on the page in the google adsence area. I am sure many people will like you very much for that.
Luke911
+0|6644
i could tap that
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6847|"Frisco"

Ew -- popups blow. Fuck that.

It's likely I'll increase the adsense viewability(?) by including it on a few more pages -- but those "few more pages" will be new features. So, I don't think anyone is really going to complain
FuzzBuck Fuzz
+1|6635

chuyskywalker wrote:

Ew -- popups blow. Fuck that.
Quite right.

Have u considered blogging your BF2 experiences?

There's a revenue to be made there. You could even do a community blog for regulars.

Please forgive me if you've commented on this elsewhere in these forums - i didn't search... 

It is relevant tho....
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6847|"Frisco"

Blogs only make money through ads just like this site does -- there's really no difference than if I put ads in the forums. *shrug*
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6707|NL
Maybe this is already asked...i tried the search function but i only get the topic and if its 7 pages long im NOT feeling that good to read them all...

Where did you get the money from to pay the new server?

Donations?
google links?
or did you pay it yourself and you hope some day you will earn it ALL back...

i'm just curious cause 4,000 bucks aint sh!t...

Last edited by Poncho (2006-02-27 11:26:59)

=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6820|Belgium

If I have it correctly it is a combination off:

Google adds / Donations / His folly to... provide the best...

So that'll be $5 for the your pall the paypall
R
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6847|"Frisco"

Donations paid for about 1/2 of it, ads covered the rest (and hosting.)
AuSFinN
+1|6688

AuSFinN wrote:

heres the new system im building

Motherboard: nForce 4 something something yadda yadda (dont ask)
CPU: Dual AMD athalon 4400
Video card: nVidia 7800GTX PICE   -  ooooh yeah
sound card: intergrated high definition (came with motherboard)
250Gb hard drive
2Gb RAM PC3200 DDR

its gonna rock!
Well, i got my new system. I can play BF2 on high graphics, AA-4X, with no hassles. OOOhhhhh yyyeeaaaahah. lol
beerface702
+65|6693|las vegas
WHAADDA THAST COST YA A GOOD 55K?

what cpu is runnin it. i didnt feel like readin every post

we had a 8 gb server rack at the community college..well 6 of them in one room. each rack was insane.

they ran 2.6 xeons at the time. it was a while ago

the timings are insanly loose
Rugmonster
+1|6737

beerface702 wrote:

WHAADDA THAST COST YA A GOOD 55K?
$4k...in the original post about the new server.

beerface702 wrote:

what cpu is runnin it. i didnt feel like readin every post
Dual AMD Opteron 2.0Ghz. Post ==> here. It would be wise to avoid asking questions if you are too lazy to look at the post.

beerface702 wrote:

the timings are insanly loose
What the hell does that mean? The timings were loose, so it didn't work? And what is a 8 gb server rack? Do you mean a rack of servers each with 8gb of memory, or possibly 8 servers with 1gb of memory each. By the way, that's absolutely nothing impressive either way. Go take a look at a small datacenter sometime. If you're impressed with a "8 gb server rack", whatever that means, you'd crap your pants walking into any data center worth it's salt.

Now for something that's worth a damn, looks nice Chuy. You did good picking something geared toward what you need. So many people would be stupid and throw RAID 5 on a system like that for no reason.
general_rookie
Get off my lawn, whippersnapper!!
+6|6695
Hell, I play LAN games at my brother's work.  3 - 100 terabyte servers, partial T1.   He bought every part and built it himself.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard