tkoi
Utahraptor!
+148|6148|Texas
Backstory: In one of the hallways at my high school there's a big mural that was painted by students about 5 or 6 years ago. It contains images representative of the history of Bastrop (my town) and of many different cultures.

https://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/02/40/60/image_7060402.jpg

Recently, some local christians have spoken out against the mural and want it taken down from the wall. Their arguments are that it promotes drug use and abortion, that it portrays blacks in a bad light, and that, get this, it "could be confusing to Christian students."

https://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/01/33/60/image_7060331.jpg

First off, drug use? Come on, it's a native american peace pipe. Abortion? It's Shiva dancing on top of a demon. Disrespectful to blacks? I suppose you mean the images of slaves picking cotton. Personally, I think that it makes whites look a lot worse than blacks. Confusing to christians? Here's the whole quote:
"When she showed it to me, I was like, 'Oh my gosh,' " said Hansell, who added that the mural presents a new age idea of peace and unity that could be confusing to Christian students.
Is it just me, or is this statement made purely of fail? We don't want our beloved christian students to be exposed to that kind of garbage, now do we? I mean, 'peace and unity'? What is this world coming to?

An article about this controversy was printed on the front page of the Austin American Statesman. You can read it online here.
BASTROP — A mural meant to bring people together is causing a rift in the Bastrop community.

The painting in question, a student project completed in 2003, adorns a wall in the corridor leading to the Bastrop High School gym. It depicts the sometimes unpleasant history of the town, showing scenes of a Mexican and Comanche raid and slaves working in a cotton field, as well as unifying visions of children of different ethnicities reaching out to one another.

Bastrop school board members were surprised when almost a dozen district residents who signed up to speak at a community forum Tuesday evening wanted to talk about the mural, some calling for its removal on religious grounds and others with arguments for keeping it up.

Trustees hadn't heard of the controversy — district offices first received a complaint a couple weeks ago — but high school hallways are buzzing.

Patty Green, the art teacher who coordinated the project, said she doesn't understand why the issue is coming up now. Austin muralist Raul Valdez organized a group of Bastrop students to paint the mural using a $10,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Bastrop Association for the Arts.

"It sat up there for five years, and nobody had a problem with it," said Green, the head of the Bastrop association.

Bastrop resident Lauren Hansell, who made the original complaint, homeschools her children but visits the school on Fridays to pray with students at the flagpole.

A Christian, Hansell said she wants the mural removed because of the war and slavery scenes and depictions of Buddha and ancient gods. Hansell said girl's basketball coach Dee Deshay pointed out the mural as a potential problem.

"When she showed it to me, I was like, 'Oh my gosh,' " said Hansell, who added that the mural presents a new age idea of peace and unity that could be confusing to Christian students. Hansell said she'd also like a more positive image of African Americans. "It doesn't even represent even a fingernail of the faith here in Bastrop County and what (residents) believe."

Among the images on the mural are an Aztec sun, ancient Egypt's King Tutankhamen, Buddha and Shiva, a Hindu deity, dancing on a demon of ignorance.

Hansell, who at first interpreted Shiva's dance as a message in favor of abortion, said laws that bar Christian symbols from public schools should apply to the mural.

The First Amendment, which bans government-sponsored religious activities even as it protects religious expression from government interference, allows students to pray during school in informal settings, according to U.S. Department of Education guidelines. The guidelines say students have the right to "express their beliefs about religion in the form of homework, artwork, and other written and oral assignments free of discrimination based on the religious content of their submissions."

Valdez, the muralist, said the purpose of the project was to represent the history and cultural unity in Bastrop. Although no one symbol can represent a culture, he said the students chose the mural's imagery to represent unity.

"It just so happens (the symbols) were religious," Valdez said.

Former school board member Carol Schumacher, whose daughter helped with the mural, said the attempt to take the painting down is an indication of a pervasive Christian influence in the schools that also manifests in the recitation of prayers before school board meetings.

Bastrop High School senior Ashley Crawford said that when she looks at the mural, she thinks about history. Crawford said the mural has been left free of graffiti, which she sees as a sign of respect.

However, some students have signed a petition asking that the mural be removed.

As Mandi Colvin, a sophomore at Bastrop High, sees it: "It's breaking the First Amendment. It needs to come down."
This is bullshit, amirite?
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA
urrite
Stimey
­
+786|6121|Ontario | Canada

CommieChipmunk wrote:

urrite
second
­
­
­
­
­
­
agent146
+127|6388|Jesus Land aka Canada
their trying to be famous.
Knifey
Beast.
+21|6206|California
If i were you i would "Fight the power" and try to get them to keep it...i get where your coming from that's so fucking stupid of them to tear it down.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6230|NSW, Australia

tell them to gtfo and stfu

edit - nice painting by the way

Last edited by Nappy (2008-05-16 19:37:32)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5962|Washington DC
lawl religious fanatics
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6157|Vancouver | Canada

Nappy wrote:

What he said.

I can't stand the stereotypical Christian.
Defiance
+438|6672

This is better when in my history class, some kid tore down a propaganda project saying, while more eloquently, "If you drink you'll burn in hell."

All the rest of the period all I could hear was how he was 2 months sober, his parents were alcoholics, and he blames genetics for his problems. All of them, not just the flask.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6149|San Antonio, Texas
*sigh* Nothing could express the stupidity of those dolts. Oh wait . . .

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com … picard.jpg

Yeah, that just about sums up my opinion of the mental-incapacity of the group.

Last edited by Cyrax-Sektor (2008-05-16 19:56:02)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

That mural looks really cool, I like it. America makes me dislike religious people a lot, despite being religious myself. Go kick the asses of people that complain.
aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6351|Iowa...

DefCon-17 wrote:

Nappy wrote:

What he said.

I can't stand the stereotypical Christian.
it's only the stereotypical Christian because everybody associates us with idiots like these.
jamiet757
+138|6623
OMFG I am so confused by those images, I think I might need to kill myself, I am not sure what to do....

for fucks sake it is a fucking painting, grow the fuck up christians.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT
For the Christians complaining, seeing how anything relating to their religion is pounced on and removed when displayed in public, they are understandably annoyed when the symbol of another religion is allowed to stay. I'm not necessarily saying its right to complain, but please try to consider the viewpoints of others before you go around calling them names.

It is, to be honest, a bit intolerant.
Spider1980
#1 Commander
+92|6543|Washington
Christians always seem to cause drama at any little chance they get.
Makes them feel like their doing something for the community in a positive way and feel better about their imaginary friend addiction that so many others seem to share... They seem to think everyone else should follow there way like a cult, kinda like that Mormon polygamy shit.

Last edited by Spider1980 (2008-05-16 21:37:14)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6646

Spider1980 wrote:

Christians always seem to cause drama at any little chance they get.
Makes them feel like their doing something for the community in a positive way and feel better about their imaginary friend addiction that so many others seem to share... They seem to think everyone else should follow there way like a cult, kinda like that Mormon polygamy shit.
dont blame ALL the Christians its the the ones no one likes
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6723|Oregon
http://mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar … /804180344

im not a huge harry potter fan, but its an amazing idea/execution.

Last edited by [TUF]Whiskey_Oktober (2008-05-16 22:10:02)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

History confuses christians, because they think the Earth is only a few thousand years old. lawl.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
CrazeD
+368|6674|Maine
Why is it okay to talk about evolution, mythology, etc in school, but as soon as a Christian speaks up, ohh booy, he just crossed the line!

Hypocritical fucks.
tkoi
Utahraptor!
+148|6148|Texas

CrazeD wrote:

Why is it okay to talk about evolution, mythology, etc in school, but as soon as a Christian speaks up, ohh booy, he just crossed the line!

Hypocritical fucks.
Uhh, perhaps because evolution is fact?
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6578|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

CommieChipmunk wrote:

urrite
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6624|Little Bentcock

GGF0RCE wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Hypocritical fucks.
Uhh, perhaps because evolution is fact?
Theory. Evolution is a theory.

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2008-05-16 23:45:17)

dtacs
say that 2 my face fucker not online
+126|5836|Australia
So is christ walking on water, etc.

However: are the Christians feeling discriminated against? If not, then they have no right to change a school mural.
https://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com/public/profile/bf3/kit-icon-recon.png?v=3173239
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5932|Somewhere out in Space
Lol, godfag debate.

fail.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)

Acreta wrote:

So is christ walking on water, etc.
Is what?

Fact? I don't think so - there's not even any real proof the Jesus even ever existed, let alone him performing miracles.

Theory? Again, I don't think so - there's a big difference between 'scientific theory' and 'something someone just made up'.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard