Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6676|Moscow, Russia
Omg, the lovely tankwhores are coming out of their dark holes!
Binximus
+8|6653|Australia
is 3.65 considered crap with 8h 45m been hidin out in armor??
luckybaer
+10|6775| Going Feral
I hate being in the stupid tank on Karkand.  It is way, way, way too damn slow.  I like the APC, because I can zoom past the "Hey Diddle Diddle Straight Up the Middle" HOTEL, and try to cap a couple of other flags (like the Market or the Square).  Sometimes I'll get crazy and try to cap the Gatehouse or the flag on the 64 player map where the MEC's armor spawns. 

Once I cap 2 or 3 flags, I'll go to where the action is hottest.  I sometimes hang out in the streets around the HOTEL if the knuckleheads on my team INSIST on hurling themselves into a giant meat-grinder, but I really enjoy it when they decide, "FUCK the hotel.  Let's go do something else."

My ratio is less than 3.5:1, so I guess I should start spawn raping more...
OpsChief
+101|6677|Southern California
Congrats on your good K/Ds.

If you have to pick the best tanker in a line up, taking the K/D ratio alone is not going to return the best in every case. BF2 doesn't capture data in a way to evaluate this concept anyway.  In basketball you might have the highest point per game or rebounds but if your team is in last place the honor is kind of dubious, or selfish at best. Conquering armies don't usually celebrate the enemy's heros.

It is the mobility and speed of armor (and later airmobile/airborne) that took the 19th century linear battlefield into a modern 360 degree battlefield. Armor when used well can win battles by more than killing and surviving, just like in chess it is the position of the pieces that wins not how many times the knight killed pawns. Being in the right place at the right time is the art of armored warfare.

A quick Flank Guard Mission by Blocking a road to prevent the enemy from outflanking your team returns few kills but may win the game. Running a flank to draw enemy armor out in the open may be suicide but disrupt the enemy momentum. An armored raid into the enemy rear area bases will pull enemy infantry away from the front allowing your infantry to outnumber enemies locally. A strategic asset maintenance sweep, if you're engineer, takes time away from kills but helps win games. Finally, Rear Area Security patrols to pick up the infiltrators will also add to the wins but reduce kills.

A stat tanker can rack up the high kills and should when the tide is clearly in your team's favor but a teamwork tanker helps his team mates do their job better and "shares the wealth" of available kills until that time.

This game is great and it has many valid individual approaches, personal statisticians (stat focussed) are one end of the spectrum and teamworkers (win focussed) at the other end, and game winners all hopefully...

have fun out there
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6788|Hanging onto the UAV

chitlin wrote:

yeah im not the least bit impressed because a. you only play infantry maps and raping infanty with tanks is lame and b. your account started in aug which makes me think this is your 2nd "inflating my ratio by raping infantry with a tank" account

go play some pla maps and fight tanks choppers planes then come back talking shit
Tanks are designed primarily as anti-infantry weapons. So crying that people use them on infantry maps is complete horseshit: that's what they're designed for.

I personally take great pleasure in shooting errant attack and transport choppers out of the sky with the M1A2, but out of choice I'd not put armour against air-based weaponry.

My K is (at time of writing) 5.97, with over 100 hours in the tank and 400+ hours overall. I also agree with what Ops Chief said: it's not so much about the killing - it's strategic placement of assets that can win a battle. Over 100 hours in those unmanouvreable hunks of metal has definitely taught me a thing or two about strategic placement.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

LG-MindBullets wrote:

I noticed in a thread recently that quite a few players were claiming to be fairly good armor users, yet they only had KD ratios somewhere between 3 and 7. To me, these ratios don't seem that spectacular, especially considering the huge hit point advantage an armor driver has including immunity to small arms fire. A good armor driver should be able to stay alive for sustained periods of time, even under heavy fire where multiple targets are closing in on you.

I have a KD ratio over 11/1, which was actually 14/1 for quite some time until players finally caught on that you need to double or triple team as AT to take out an experienced tank driver. Anyway, I thought it'd be interesting to see the KD ratios of players who play armor a lot to get an idea of what an average KD ratio should be for an experienced armor driver. I know there has to be many players with much better armor KD than I have, but I also expect that there are many player who have played hundreds of hours in armor who have lower KD ratios.

I hope to get an idea for the average armor KD based on player response. This isn't going to be a scientifically accurate survey by any means but I thought it'd be interesting.

Here's my stats if you want to check them out:
http://bf2s.com/player/LG-MindBullets/
Congrats on your ratio dude.  And you've got respectable ground-pounding skills too.  But not to rag on you and all, but spawn raping (you've got tons of favorite victims) is one thing, going tank vs. tank is another.  Try going up against 1 shot kill tank vs. tank players like http://bf2s.com/player/44472188/ and let's see if you can keep that 11/1.  If I ignore the enemy armors, it' easy to get over 11/1 in Karkand.  But you should try 64 player Zatar and Cleansweep in armor.  11/1 KD is damn near impossible.
LG-MindBullets
+10|6722|Kirkland, WA
I didn't get quite as many people posting their KD's as I thought I would, but I did get a lot of feedback.

I noticed a lot of players saying that I don't play full rotation enough to claim that I've earned an 11+ KD ratio. Yes, this is partly true. I mostly play Sharqi, Karkand, and Mashtuur. However, when I play Sharqi, I usually try to get the Cobra or ground pound as medic or AT. I only usually go for the tank if its available and no one else on my team is taking advantage of it. Rarely do I go into rounds anymore thinking, "I'm just going to patrol in armor the entire round."

On the occasions where I do play heavy air asset levels I still perform equally as well in armor. I've dominated several times on Kubra Dam, Gulf of Oman, Clean Sweep, and Wake Island in armor, even with several jets and helis in the air. Just look at my Win/Loss ratios for those maps. My primary reason for not playing these maps often is that even though I can maintain about the same KD ratio as compared to city maps my SPM goes way down because of the huge distances between bases and targets. Hmmm.... Does this make me a stat padder?

Basically, air maps play slightly slower than city maps and usually consist of chasing the other team from flag to flag with only about 2/3's as many engagements. Yawn. On levels where there are greater numbers of opposing armor, helicopters, and jets I still hold my own. I've pulled out as victor many times when I've faced odds 3 to 1 against me in armor-to-armor conflicts. It's all about positioning, timing, shot placement, and a tactful use of smoke grenades. I've actually taken down jets many times with a well placed shot. Even prior to 1.2 I was able to consistently take down attack helicopters by positioning myself under cover and anticipating the pilot's attack.

In 1-on-1 battles against armor where the enemy driver and myself approach each other about the same time I'd say I emerge the victor about 19 out of 20 engagements. This would make you think that my KD should be much higher then, but the cause of most of my deaths in armor usually occurs when I get double or triple teamed by AT soldiers from drastically different positions. This usually occurs after I've adequately pissed off the other team enough to force a quarter of their team to choose the AT kit.

Sorry, I think I've said enough in my defense. I'd still like to stay on the original goal of this thread, which is to get an idea of what an average KD ratio for armor is among players who play it frequently.

Last edited by LG-MindBullets (2006-02-24 09:58:33)

Svenboy
+0|6658
mine is   10.38 and i will get better although im not playing so much in tank
Lt.Maverick|Lw|
youve now just been Pwned by the Mavster
+-1|6724
I love armour whoring although my kdr is shite
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

LG-MindBullets wrote:

I didn't get quite as many people posting their KD's as I thought I would, but I did get a lot of feedback.

I noticed a lot of players saying that I don't play full rotation enough to claim that I've earned an 11+ KD ratio. Yes, this is partly true. I mostly play Sharqi, Karkand, and Mashtuur. However, when I play Sharqi, I usually try to get the Cobra or ground pound as medic or AT. I only usually go for the tank if its available and no one else on my team is taking advantage of it. Rarely do I go into rounds anymore thinking, "I'm just going to patrol in armor the entire round."

On the occasions where I do play heavy air asset levels I still perform equally as well in armor. I've dominated several times on Kubra Dam, Gulf of Oman, Clean Sweep, and Wake Island in armor, even with several jets and helis in the air. Just look at my Win/Loss ratios for those maps. My primary reason for not playing these maps often is that even though I can maintain about the same KD ratio as compared to city maps my SPM goes way down because of the huge distances between bases and targets. Hmmm.... Does this make me a stat padder?

Basically, air maps play slightly slower than city maps and usually consist of chasing the other team from flag to flag with only about 2/3's as many engagements. Yawn. On levels where there are greater numbers of opposing armor, helicopters, and jets I still hold my own. I've pulled out as victor many times when I've faced odds 3 to 1 against me in armor-to-armor conflicts. It's all about positioning, timing, shot placement, and a tactful use of smoke grenades. I've actually taken down jets many times with a well placed shot. Even prior to 1.2 I was able to consistently take down attack helicopters by positioning myself under cover and anticipating the pilot's attack.

In 1-on-1 battles against armor where the enemy driver and myself approach each other about the same time I'd say I emerge the victor about 19 out of 20 engagements. This would make you think that my KD should be much higher then, but the cause of most of my deaths in armor usually occurs when I get double or triple teamed by AT soldiers from drastically different positions. This usually occurs after I've adequately pissed off the other team enough to force a quarter of their team to choose the AT kit.

Sorry, I think I've said enough in my defense. I'd still like to stay on the original goal of this thread, which is to get an idea of what an average KD ratio for armor is among players who play it frequently.
That's cool.  And now with all the snipers and PKMs out there, it's actually easier for us tankers.  I'm not a great tanker, but I do fairly well going against multiple armor.  I rarely bail armor, plus my noob days, thus my high death count.
37:16:26 2,230 620 3.60 134
Eckzack
The east-german Fuxxer
+37|6845|Germany / Saxony
A K/D ratio over ten is nice, but not for only Infantrie-Maps. In karkand a K/D over 20 up to 30 is nice.
If I would more often tank-whore on karkand, I would have some nicer ratio. Mine is over 6. But try playing lonesome tanker (cause the rest of your team consists of nubs, hanging out at the airfield waiting for a plane to respawn, that they can crash few seconds later) on vehicle maps like kubra or daquing, when you very often stand facing 3 enemy apc´s with some AT-soldiers jumping out. Or good luck when I´m in the SU30 on daquing, most "tank-whores" are on my fav. victims list....
https://bf3s.com/sigs/384f5f7318c23ecb5909f14b157d6d31e8b5a332.png

IRNV-Field 3... New School Shit...
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6828|Australia
im second ranked for amour in AUS. I cant beat the top ranked and the 'best' plus smiley.
i only have a ratio of 6 something. I hate going near the spawns of karkand i like to let my victims spawn and move out to thier doom.
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6828|Australia
im second ranked for amour in AUS. I can beat the top ranked and the 'best' plus smiley.
i only have a ratio of 6 something. I hate going near the spawns of karkand i like to let my victims spawn and move out to thier doom.
Ratio's mean nothing unless you know how to take out other amour, any one can spawnnnnn kill on karkand while the other tank is whoring the hill,, but not many cann work thier way around and stop the tank and two apc's without loosing health.

Last edited by kontrolcrimson (2006-02-24 16:57:23)

eusgen
Nugget
+402|6793|Jupiter
Honestly, if you dont want armor, go play Americas Army
elmer1082
To The Front
+4|6756|Columbus, Indiana

chitlin wrote:

yeah im not the least bit impressed because a. you only play infantry maps and raping infanty with tanks is lame and b. your account started in aug which makes me think this is your 2nd "inflating my ratio by raping infantry with a tank" account

go play some pla maps and fight tanks choppers planes then come back talking shit
Hey I just want to add something. Not all of us were able to buy BF2 the day it came out. My start date is Aug 29th and it's my one and only account. My late wife bought me "BF 1942" with "Road to Rome" and "Secret Weapons" for my birthday in 2004. She passed away 25 days later and I never had a chance to install it and never did, it's still shrink wrapped. Well I started reading about BF2 and I tried the demo the first week of August, he rest is history. Sorry for the long story but sometimes the enlistment date just means what it says.
-[HC]-TrippleB
+0|6704
I am 10.66 and rising....I had it lower from playing alot of Zatar wetlands and such, its harder to get a high KDR pre1.2 on those big field maps...

I think rankings should be based on Kills and KDR not just total kills, I see alot of guys ahead of me on the leader board with a tank KDR of 2 and it ticks me off, how are they better....like America's Army tracker rankings, should be a combo.
DeZwarteMaan
+10|6674|Texas

LG-MindBullets wrote:

I have a KD ratio over 11/1, which was actually 14/1 for quite some time until players finally caught on that you need to double or triple team as AT to take out an experienced tank driver. Anyway, I thought it'd be interesting to see the KD ratios of players who play armor a lot to get an idea of what an average KD ratio should be for an experienced armor driver.
Lets look at your stats in perspective.

Global Hours: 114

Tank stats:    Hours         Kills       Deaths
Armor           35:43:40    3,920     333

This score never shows the number of times the tank driver bailed from the tank to get a detah in his kit rather than in his tank. I consider this 'bailing' when dying to be a way for n00bs to raise their scores. not pointing a finger at you but its a fact that occurs.

I am a damn good tank driver. I've killed a handful of planes trying to bomb me and 20+ choppers (50/50 on attack vs transport) with the maingun while they were in flight. <not including using tank at airports>. My map times are basically...
Karkand  327
Wake      71
Sharqi     55
Oman      47
Warlord   34
DragonV  27
etc...

As you can see. I play a lot of maps with Enemy Air and the majority of my deaths recently have been from pilots getting better with their bombs. Once you get into these situations your KD lowers. Maintaining a 4 KD like I have is pretty hard when your tank is on a map with few targets and those enemy planes are aiming at you. On Karkand my clanmates are the tank drivers. I tend to play Tank busting kits. Expert in AT, Spec Ops and Engineer. I tend to work the map and make sure enemy tanks cannot run over us and/or soften them so my teammates can take them out. i dont jump from the tank. I want to die with it so I can get it back when I respawn. This is so it cant be stolen. Too often I see n00bs jump from their tank only to have me jump out of my tank and blow mine with theirs... just to steal it. Those who jump out trying to survive are risking their team winning. I dont look for personal score its about the win.

As you can see by my War college ribbon.. the tactics work. But it tends to weaken the KD ratios. Like I care?

My clanmate who is considered to be our best tanker has a KD of 4.79 11.5K kills and 2.4K deaths and 142 hours. But I havent seen anyone out Tank him 1 on 1. he's even taken a Tank and 2 APC's simultaneously. Granted.. n00bs were in the APC's and they werent great shots.

If I were to create a brand new character and start with fresh stats.. I bet my Ratios would be ultimately doubled. I spoent a lot of time goofing. I like having fun and "fun != score"
chitlin
Banned
+36|6763

AnarkyXtra wrote:

Tanks are designed primarily as anti-infantry weapons. So crying that people use them on infantry maps is complete horseshit: that's what they're designed for.
i dont know where you came up with that philosophy but i think its total bullshit.. a 120mm cannon was never designed with damaging flesh in mind.  in my opinion and from a teamwork perspective your job in the tank should be number one kill the other teams armor to keep him off your own teams infantry, number two choppers or transports, then number 3 the other teams infantry in that order...

again i dont care if you use a tank on infantry maps ... I SAID ONLY INFANTRY MAPS.. and theres a huge difference. last time ill say it.. take your tank out on a PLA map and then come back talking about how good you are with a tank.
RDMC_old
+0|6737|Almere, Holland
Well havin a K/D of 11/1 is pretty harsh mainly cuz when ur starting in a tank u suck and u mainly get more deaths than kills and then when u become better u get to the point u have that 11/1 k/d in a round but cuz u sucked in the beginnin ur k/d will slowly go to 11/1 so even 5/1 is good especially on karkand..or maps with planes!!
killaer
+41|6718

DeZwarteMaan wrote:

LG-MindBullets wrote:

I have a KD ratio over 11/1, which was actually 14/1 for quite some time until players finally caught on that you need to double or triple team as AT to take out an experienced tank driver. Anyway, I thought it'd be interesting to see the KD ratios of players who play armor a lot to get an idea of what an average KD ratio should be for an experienced armor driver.
Lets look at your stats in perspective.

Global Hours: 114

Tank stats:    Hours         Kills       Deaths
Armor           35:43:40    3,920     333

This score never shows the number of times the tank driver bailed from the tank to get a detah in his kit rather than in his tank. I consider this 'bailing' when dying to be a way for n00bs to raise their scores. not pointing a finger at you but its a fact that occurs.

I am a damn good tank driver. I've killed a handful of planes trying to bomb me and 20+ choppers (50/50 on attack vs transport) with the maingun while they were in flight. <not including using tank at airports>. My map times are basically...
Karkand  327
Wake      71
Sharqi     55
Oman      47
Warlord   34
DragonV  27
etc...

As you can see. I play a lot of maps with Enemy Air and the majority of my deaths recently have been from pilots getting better with their bombs. Once you get into these situations your KD lowers. Maintaining a 4 KD like I have is pretty hard when your tank is on a map with few targets and those enemy planes are aiming at you. On Karkand my clanmates are the tank drivers. I tend to play Tank busting kits. Expert in AT, Spec Ops and Engineer. I tend to work the map and make sure enemy tanks cannot run over us and/or soften them so my teammates can take them out. i dont jump from the tank. I want to die with it so I can get it back when I respawn. This is so it cant be stolen. Too often I see n00bs jump from their tank only to have me jump out of my tank and blow mine with theirs... just to steal it. Those who jump out trying to survive are risking their team winning. I dont look for personal score its about the win.

As you can see by my War college ribbon.. the tactics work. But it tends to weaken the KD ratios. Like I care?

My clanmate who is considered to be our best tanker has a KD of 4.79 11.5K kills and 2.4K deaths and 142 hours. But I havent seen anyone out Tank him 1 on 1. he's even taken a Tank and 2 APC's simultaneously. Granted.. n00bs were in the APC's and they werent great shots.

If I were to create a brand new character and start with fresh stats.. I bet my Ratios would be ultimately doubled. I spoent a lot of time goofing. I like having fun and "fun != score"
Dude, Bailing out to die in your kit a perfectly fine. Take a scenario like this. You're placed in a war. You've got a tank staring at you, and you know the next shot will blow your tank. You have two options.

A:Stay in the tank.
B:Try to get out

Hmm...tough choice.
chitlin
Banned
+36|6763
i agrree totally .. sitting there for certain death isnt brave its stupid
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6701

killaer wrote:

Dude, Bailing out to die in your kit a perfectly fine. Take a scenario like this. You're placed in a war. You've got a tank staring at you, and you know the next shot will blow your tank. You have two options.

A:Stay in the tank.
B:Try to get out

Hmm...tough choice.
Yes, but if the other tank driver has half a brain, he'll watch you get out and run away, and then drop his gunner off at your empty tank and steal it. I've seen countless tanks stolen by the enemy because the driver didnt have the cajones to sit there and die. On maps like Karkand, where you only get one tank, getting it stolen by the enemy can make the difference between victory and defeat. The ONLY time you should get out of your tank is if A. its on fire or B. you can destroy it yourself if the other tank doesnt do it for you. End of story.

And to the OP, as many people have pointed out its very, very easy to kill lots of people in armor on karkand. I notice you said you dont use the tank very much on Sharqi, which is actually good for your ratio. Sharqi is a harder map for armor, because of the difference in elevation and the attack choppers flying around. I'm not saying that killing lots of people is a bad thing, I'm just pointing out that getting an 11:1 ratio in armor, playing nothing but infantry maps, is not the same thing as getting that same ratio playing maps with many armor units on both sides and air power to suppress you. Personally I think the most dangerous place in the game is sitting in a tank on daqing oilfields.
doxed
+21|6647

LG-MindBullets wrote:

On the occasions where I do play heavy air asset levels I still perform equally as well in armor.
although those armor stats are pretty good, i'd have to say if a good pilot wants you dead -- you'll be dead. i've only got a 4.5 KD(i consider myself a decent tank whore) in armor but play maps with enemy air. you can be smart about exposing yourself but i've had pilots looking for me and on maps like Wake with very little cover except for some trees, they'll get you. with the good pilots, no time to bail unless i bail when i hear a jet which is ridiculous. the bombs hit and i asplode.
BlueScreen
I am the pwnage! Bitches!
+5|6739|Finland
Well good armor ratio mean sometimes really nothing. I see that you are playing mostly city maps which make it easy to get good K/D ratio (you can spawn rape and distances from flag to flag are not long). Some ones are playing with tank in maps like Oman, Oilfields, FuShe, Dragon etc. (there's choppers and planes) which make it much, much harder to get that high K/D ratio (and also you can't rape spawn that easy in this maps and distances from flag to flag are longer than in city maps).And I'm not blaming those "tankwhores" who's using tank only in city maps and gettin good K/D ratio just because that, in fact it's just one part of the game and there's no wrong with it, but it's just so much easier to get those kills while raping spawn than in those large plane/chopper maps which mean that good armor K/D ratio in city maps mean really nothing for me.
Riaz1985
+0|6754|Vermont
lol this is funny... "On the occasions where I do play heavy air asset levels I still perform equally as well in armor."

any pilot & gunner worth their weight, make getting an 11:1 k/d ratio impossible, when im gunner in chopper and infantry point out the location of a tank, i send a tv missile that way... weather my pilot is going there or not, and its harder to miss a tank then hit 1

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard