Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6754|Singapore
Was cycling to sch, notebook in a bag, took the notebook out, realised that the back was a little drenched. I still can on it but, how long must i on it so that its totally safe from water damage?

Rear of the lappy i am using..

https://www.notebookreview.com/assets/V1JpReview/V1JP015s.JPG

Note, the battery is inside though unlike the pic which has the battery removed.

Last edited by Ayumiz (2008-05-13 18:52:11)

jamiet757
+138|6643
How long must you "on it"?

What the fuck does that mean?

In any case, did water get inside, or just on the outside?

Wait a week or so until it dries out, keep it in a warm, dry place.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6402|the land of bourbon

jamiet757 wrote:

How long must you "on it"?

What the fuck does that mean?

In any case, did water get inside, or just on the outside?

Wait a week or so until it dries out, keep it in a warm, dry place.
agreed, and yes, definitely wait a while.  take it apart as much as you can to help the drying.

Last edited by steelie34 (2008-05-13 19:57:18)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
aimless
+166|6145|Texas
My friend once had is phone go through the washing machine. Once he realized his error, he tossed it in the freezer (or refridgerator, I forget), pulled it out a few hours later, and it worked fine. Not sure you should attempt this though.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6412|Southern California

aimless wrote:

My friend once had is phone go through the washing machine. Once he realized his error, he tossed it in the freezer (or refridgerator, I forget), pulled it out a few hours later, and it worked fine. Not sure you should attempt this though.
wow, that sounds riskey as fuck.

I would be afraid of water trapped up under/in something expanding and popping stuff off the circuit board/ cracking things.

If no current is running though it, its probably fine? Hard to short an inactive circuit just keep it off, and let it dry as much as possible.

Taking off all the little covers and devices that can easily be removed would probably help, as some one else said.

This scares the hell out of me, I got a backpack laptop case and take it to school...but I worry about rainy days, haven't had to deal with one yet though.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6590|Portland, OR, USA
do not put it in the freezer.

If you do anything, take the ram/HDD/battery if you can get at it out/off and cover them in a bowl full of rice.  Seriously.  If you ever put a cell phone through the washing machine or drop in in to toilet or something, take it apart and stick it in rice.  (probably wouldn't eat the rice afterwards if you did drop it in the shitter thought.. that's kind of dirty)
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6173|what

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Best advise ever.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
CrazeD
+368|6693|Maine
WD40 ftw.
{UK-US}Scotty
+12|6486
As a electronics engineer - I can safely say - DO NOT PUT IT IN THE FREEZER - most parts are specified to work at 0c - 70c - do becareful. What will happen is you will find more water (vapour) on the PCB and it will just add to the problem.  I have known people who have put HDD's in to the freezer as parts have fused - that could work I guess - but its not a solution.

If the Laptap swicthes on - it probably has no shorts - it has dried already.  The only danger I see is if the water starts to oxdise the IC's or the copper tracks  -which may shorten the life of the laptap - but I'm afraid there is not a lot that can be done now - use it while you can.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6218|Winland

CommieChipmunk wrote:

OI!

When I spilled tea on my lappy, I took it apart, wiped the worst off with paper, then let it dry with a couple of fans blowing at it for a couple of hours. Worked, and still works fine.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
{UK-US}Scotty
+12|6486

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

OI!

When I spilled tea on my lappy, I took it apart, wiped the worst off with paper, then let it dry with a couple of fans blowing at it for a couple of hours. Worked, and still works fine.
Indeed - best option IMO.  If it works - your safe - if it dont you are buggered!
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6611|Reisterstown, MD

The main thing is to dry water that may have gotten on the mobo.  Like others have suggested, simply air dry the parts that are only damp and gently use a towl or paper to get off noticeable wetness.  DO NOT turn on the laptop until everything is completely dry.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6514|N. Ireland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

OI!

Fans don't give out air at -5C though
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
+118|6411|Penrith,Nsw, Aus
LOL @ putting it in rice idk because hes from Singapore i lold.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6218|Winland

kylef wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

OI!

lolwut
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6435|Finland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

kylef wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

OI!

lolwut
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
jamiet757
+138|6643

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

kylef wrote:

lolwut
W?
T?

F?
Brasso
+1,549|6651

jamiet757 wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

lolwut
W?
T?

F?
i think he's referring to the refridgerator/freezer comment
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard