+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

Yay the sigs are coming back!
Whitegreek
Sniping with the pistol...
+4|6838

midgetspy wrote:

Whitegreek wrote:

engineer wrote:

16GB of RAM... man would by nice compared to my 512MB...
some servers have 64GB of RAM, and it's been known to go up to 128GB of RAM, but it depends on what the server is used for, generally public servers need 8+GB of RAM.
This is baloney, I have a "public server" serving tens of thousands of hits a day and it has 1GB ram. My personal "public server" has 256MB RAM.

Nic
Lets see Microsoft's progarm development and deployment servers run 64GB because of the load when working on a program directly on the server.
Rakasan
+7|6829|California, USA
Linux > M$ Micro$oft
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6833
Damn 16 gigs of ram...I want a super comp. like that so I could run bf2 with half a sec. loading.
kmkz
+7|6701
lol you probably wouldn't load it all that fast on his rig. First off you have a shitty ass graphics card. Second off you have a dual processor 2.0, but I doubt BF2 is optimized for a dual processor system, so you won't even be able to take advantage of that addition. The 16GB RAM is good, but BF2 could never possibly eat it all up, so it won't be taking advantage of that either. Therefore it won't actually help

You'd want a high speed processor, moderate amount of RAM (1GB), and a killer graphics card to take the BF2 load time down to 1-10 seconds.
{USI}_Zombie
+11|6766
I may have missed the announcement if there was one, but I just discovered on my stats page that the award info comes up on a roll over instead of having to click, and I gotta say, I LOVE IT.  Excellent development and addition, BZ to the admins for this one
StokoE
Losers-Server
+51|6833|UK
I donated my 5 quids
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)

kmkz wrote:

The 16GB RAM is good, but BF2 could never possibly eat it all up, so it won't be taking advantage of that either. Therefore it won't actually help
Yes it would (help that is) - whilst you're right that BF2 would never use the whole 16GB whilst running, it would allow you to install BF2 to a RAM drive - that's like a virtual HDD that resides in memory - i.e. the whole of BF2 - every map, every line of code, every damn thing would be resident in memory for the entire time! Load times? There would be no load time (well, obviously there would, but it would be like in the order of 0.00001 seconds, or thereabouts).

But this is all getting way off-topic...
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6840|"Frisco"

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

kmkz wrote:

The 16GB RAM is good, but BF2 could never possibly eat it all up, so it won't be taking advantage of that either. Therefore it won't actually help
Yes it would (help that is) - whilst you're right that BF2 would never use the whole 16GB whilst running, it would allow you to install BF2 to a RAM drive - that's like a virtual HDD that resides in memory - i.e. the whole of BF2 - every map, every line of code, every damn thing would be resident in memory for the entire time! Load times? There would be no load time (well, obviously there would, but it would be like in the order of 0.00001 seconds, or thereabouts).

But this is all getting way off-topic...
Note: I plan on doing this and posting a vid of it loading. So we can all drool and wish that REAL load times were like that. Fuck! Game makers need to figure out how to get rid of that. (And don't even get me started on "Menu now loading..."
Gulf_War_Syndrome
OMG ERYX HAX!
+62|6671|Adelaide, Australia
Everone's seen these things by now haven't they?

http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/hard_driv … yte/I-RAM/

Four DIMM slots, a SATA socket and a battery for retaining data while the system is powered down.
Basically a hardware RAM drive that plugs into your serial ATA ports.
Four 1GB modules, making a 4GB disk, is plenty for installing BF2 on!
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6668|Planet Seibertron ;)
Solid state drives would be interesting to see given the benefits it may have.  Although the price rate going for a 1GB module would be too much and not very practical... at least, for the moment.
N.A.W.NEO
+1|6701
chuyskywalker this site is the dog bollocks you have doon a f--king good job keep it up mate love it
=VEN= Squirrel
+0|6654
Question is, when will the stats be updating again? My entire leaderboard is over two days old, and some are three.

On the subject of award roll-overs, my personal opinion is that I don't like it. I much prefer the old system because of the fact that my hand has a tendency to continue moving the mouse while I'm trying to read, and because the new system only shows what's needed for the next achievement (i.e., you have basic knife, it shows only what's needed for vet, not for expert, too.).

I liked the old system, but I'm sure you won't get enough people saying that to go back to it.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6840|"Frisco"

=VEN= Squirrel wrote:

Question is, when will the stats be updating again? My entire leaderboard is over two days old, and some are three.

On the subject of award roll-overs, my personal opinion is that I don't like it. I much prefer the old system because of the fact that my hand has a tendency to continue moving the mouse while I'm trying to read, and because the new system only shows what's needed for the next achievement (i.e., you have basic knife, it shows only what's needed for vet, not for expert, too.).

I liked the old system, but I'm sure you won't get enough people saying that to go back to it.
It'll be fixed when EA fixes it on their end. *I* am not broken, the XML feed from EA is broken.

Also, as for not showing the vet AND expert reqs, that's a good point. I ought to fix that.
=VEN= Squirrel
+0|6654
Ah, okay. I had browsed around the forum a little bit looking for some sort of announcement that explained the absence of updates, and didn't notice one. I wasn't going to create a new thread, though; there had to be enough of those and everyone saying "go to the original thread and I won't explain while I'm flaming you".

chuyskywalker wrote:

Also, as for not showing the vet AND expert reqs, that's a good point. I ought to fix that.
[butthead] woah... cool.... site design influence.... huhuhu [/butthead]
raz
+22|6656|England, UK
Surely you must make profit on the website? Or you doing it out of the goodness of your heart?

I seriously can't believe the Google ads pay that much, not to mention how many HITS you get a DAY!!

What give the idea of making this website anywho?

P.s Do you have to ask EA for permission to feed you the stats? I know of other stats that EA have blocked, is this because they do not have permission and they are using up their bandwidth?

Last edited by raz (2006-02-06 16:46:05)

NM156
The H4xor Mod
+161|6839|North Texas

raz wrote:

What give the idea of making this website anywho?
http://bf2s.com/about.php
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6715|Toronto, ON, CAN

=VEN= Squirrel wrote:

On the subject of award roll-overs, my personal opinion is that I don't like it. I much prefer the old system because of the fact that my hand has a tendency to continue moving the mouse while I'm trying to read  ...
Because you knew it was coming.
Dude: if you need to point to what your reading, then might I suggest some reading tutoring? It can speed this up a bit. I'm picturing a bit of a Forest Gump moment here...
=P

Just teasing! On the topic though, I for one like the roll-overs, it is clean and fast, and works on any browser rendering I have tried (even my PDA picks these up!!! ). Another in a long line of tweaks that Chuy sends our way; he is sort of a "continuous improvement Sensei" . Next, he'll probably add mood lighting to the background, so if your stats took a nose dive in the past few visits, it starts to go Red with anger, or Green with envy...

Chuy: could we have a little easter egg as to some new Features? You brought it up!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard