Gam Man
+5|6729
Ok, I was reading up on the tweaks that help BF2 the most and I was trying em all out, when I noticed that Xfire did not work in game after renaming bf2.exe - but my scripting half kicked in and I found the cure, and because I have seen posts about it, I decided to share.

Rename BF2.exe
First, if you want anything in this topic to work, you need to rename the bf2.exe app.  No one really knows why this works, but it works well so I strongly recommend it.

-Navigate to the bf2 directory, typically C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefied 2
-Find the file BF2.exe.  It will most likely have the bf2 icon and titled only as bf2
-Right click and select Properties
-Type anything you want in the title box, I used BF21 for simplicity
-Click OK or click off the icon to finish!

Make Xfire Recognize BF2
Now that the app that runs BF2 has a different name, Xfire will not be able to recognize it, and thus you cannot use Xfire in game.  To fix this all you have to do is edit two lines of code.

-Navigate to the Xfire directory, typically C:\Program Files\Xfire
-Find the file xfire_games.bak and open it with Notepad
-Hit Ctrl+F and type LauncherExe=BF2.exe in the box and hit enter
-Replace the line with LauncherExe=BF21.exe (If you didnt call bf2.exe bf21.exe, change "bf21.exe" to what you used.
-Save and close
-Find the file xfire_games.ini and open it with Notepad
-Hit Ctrl+F and type LauncherExe=BF2.exe in the box and hit enter
-Replace the line with LauncherExe=BF21.exe (If you didnt call bf2.exe bf21.exe, change "bf21.exe" to what you used.
-Save and close

There you go, now you should get a performance boost and Xfire will still work!

Last edited by Gam Man (2006-02-24 12:20:58)

Mabec
Re-Member-Me
+6|6833
Why is this a "performance boost" ?
Sondar
701SQ Commander
+0|6717
cuz of the popups of xfire when friends play games and stop playing
Gam Man
+5|6729
The performance boost is not xfire related at all.

Renaming BF2.exe is thought to fool ATI and Nvidia controllers into thinking that what is being run is not the game and thus not start other processes related - thus giving more CPU to the game and better framerates.

The exact reason is unknown.

The second half is about getting xfire to work with BF2 after renaming.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard