BigOrangeArmy
Don't tase me, bro!
+12|6001|Dallas
So as some of you know, I'm trying to get internet access to my own computer (Im writing this at my parent's computer). Im a bit lost when it comes to networking, so can someone tell me how to connect my computer to his computer (which is plugged into the internet)? yes Im a noob at this...

I think it's something like this, but Im probably wrong....

My Computer-------------|
                                                                               |---------Router(ethernet)----------Internet?
                                           His Computer-------------|

We're both using a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. Do I just need to plug a USB cord into the ethernet? Or do I need to buy a wireless Adapter so I can do it wirelessly (Im about...30 feet/9.14 meters between from computer--computer)? Much appreciated, thx

Last edited by BigOrangeArmy (2008-05-10 08:08:48)

De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6532|Belgium

Just use a network cable and put it from your computer into the router too. It's the same kind of cable going from your parent's computer to the router

internet --- router ------your computer
                         \-------Parent's computer

If you don't have a router yet, you can either go for a hub/switch or router. Depending if you pay for a connection that allows 2 computers (hub (= easy and cheap)) or only 1 (router). Wireless is not required if you can put a cable from your computer to there, but depends what you prefer. I like cable more cause it gives less packet loss and you don't need to reset the damn thing every week.
If you want wireless, don't forget that your computer should have some wireless antenna device too so it notices the wireless network station. (usually standard in laptops, but rarely in desktops)
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6595|Reisterstown, MD

It depends.  You can either get wireless card for your pc or simply get a 30 foot cat 5e ethernet cable.  It really depends on what you want to do.  Also, if you go the wireless route, you will have to set up your router (if it is a wireless router) and secure it so no on spams DoS's to your network.  You will have to consider which one is more cost effective.  Ethernet cable is generally cheaper than a wireless card.  It sounds like wireless is probably the better of the two since you are 30 ft away.

Btw, your illustration is partly right.  Your pc will use either an ethernet cable or wireless to connect to the router...you don't connect to your father's pc.

Last edited by killer21 (2008-05-10 09:10:50)

-101-InvaderZim
+42|6848|Waikato, Aotearoa
All of the above. 1 Final point - for ease of use on the network, put ur PC the same workgroup as ur dad's.
Do this by going into Control Panel-->System-->Computer Name. To Rename this computer or join a domain, click Change. Change your computer from Workgroup to what ever ur dad's network is. Reset PC

Oh and i would recommend Ethernet over WiFi if ur gaming online. I used WiFi and experienced lots of packet loss, and lag spikes.

Last edited by -101-InvaderZim (2008-05-11 13:13:52)

Defiance
+438|6676

Boa, you're spot on with what you originally "drew." However you may have one missing piece.

Consider the wall socket, wherever you get the cable that goes in to the modem. I don't know if you have cable or DSL, but the modem will have the coaxial cable or phone cable going in to it and an ethernet cable coming out. That ethernet cable needs to be plugged in to the router. Then you plug your dad's computer in to the router, and your computer in to the router.

Your aiming for something like this:

https://www.home-network-help.com/images/home-network.jpg

Wall (poofy internet cloud) goes to modem, modem goes to router, router goes to all computers.

If you have: wall goes to modem, modem goes to your dad's computer, then you need a router.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard