gburndred
tiga tiga tiga tiga tiga woods ya'll
+95|6638|Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what is it that makes raptor hard drives so good.
Somebody told me that since they spin faster that they load everything faster.
Right now i have everything on my computer on a single 80gb hard drive.
I was thinking about getting a raptor hard drive but i wasn't sure if they load stuff faster.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by gburndred (2006-02-22 22:20:21)

-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6728|Australia
Raptor has 10000 RPM (vs normal 7200 rpm) that has 4 ms seek time, it can find data quicker on ur HDD than a nor mal HDD can, i dont really know how to explain it properly
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6700
Thats pretty much it. A hard drive can only read data as fast as the disk reading heads get around the disk, so spinning faster = faster reading from the disk.
gburndred
So, if it spins faster then it will load levels and such faster?
Will it reduce any lag problems?

And i've been seeing that lots of people install BF2 on the raptor and Windows on the other, what egactly does that do, preformance wise?
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6700
installing windows on one drive and battlefield 2 on the raptor just helps save disk space. Because the raptors read/write data faster than other drives, putting bf2 on the raptor means the data battlefield 2 needs to run will load faster.

Because windows doesnt really need to run very fast, putting it on the slower drive saves a bit of space.
gburndred
Ohhhh ok.
Thanks for all your input guys.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

The whole point is to make sure you have enough RAM so that the memory info is almost never swapped to the hard drive. That's what causes the most problems.

Still, I do like that 150GB 16MB cache Raptor.
terrafirma
Press 1 to Kill
+81|6654|Westminster, Colorado
WHen I upgraded to a Raptor I saw great improvements with load times.  I am now able to get into levels before most people and it helps being able to get a good jump on the level.
KyanWan
+0|6771

Skruples wrote:

installing windows on one drive and battlefield 2 on the raptor just helps save disk space. Because the raptors read/write data faster than other drives, putting bf2 on the raptor means the data battlefield 2 needs to run will load faster.

Because windows doesnt really need to run very fast, putting it on the slower drive saves a bit of space.
Bad advice.

Using your fastest drive as a datastore = bad idea.

Enterprise systems have all fast drives, with the best being the system drive - the more money the buyer has, the more fast drives they use.  Datastore goes on to a big sluggish archive or net storage / whatever.

If your OS is on the fast drive -> good performance from the OS component -> good performance all around.

Ideally, you'd have a setup like this:

SATA - Drive 1> OS
SATA - Drive 2> Swapfiles
SATA - Drive 3> Critical Apps
ATA133/SATA - Drive 4> Massive slower drive for archive files

The performance on a setup like that would be mind blowing. 

Well, if you can afford to have 3 really good drives with a fourth. 

What I do with my systems is grab 1 high performance drive, put my swap, apps (like BF2, and uh ... something else that speeds up BF2 for me ), and OS - then I've got a big slave drive on IDE for all my junk files ( movies, music, etc )

So - yeah - I do end up being one of the first people on all the servers @ round switch - capping flags before people even joined in. 

Not to mention - if you really wanted to go all out, you could set up a whip-ass SCSI system - with Seagate Cheetahs @ 15K.  Putting windows on that with whatever your most run apps are speeds up your system real nice.   

That stuff's on a whole different level.  Back in the day - I had a 160 SCSI setup ... oh man it was real sweet.  SATA barely beats the speed.  Yeah - to this day it's still a formidable setup, 7200 & 10K SCSI 160 - very nice.  Oh - not to mention ... SCSI's got real hotswappable capabilities.  LOL!  You can literally pull your drive out while it's running (yes, full out internal hard drive) - then put it back in and start right back up where you left off.  ( the trick is ... getting the hotswap cages and trays.  Usually - not too cheap. )

Very fun.
SuB
+50|6675
raptors aren't king anymore tbh
samsung spinpoints do a MUCH better job with FAR less noise. get those in raid 0 and ur sorted
blackcracka
+18|6770
Its all about raiding raptors.  Raid'ing uses 2 drives as one, so throughput is twice as fast.  Now THAT gives you fast loading times/ verifying client data. Might as well put windows on there too and It'll boot completely in 10 seconds FLAT.
Rofl_My_Waffle
+11|6691
raptors are only good if you have RAID them, because raptors have limited space a would recommend that you get a regular good 7200 RPM one simply because it has more space and is cheaper with moderate difference.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6700
I stand corrected.
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6681|Dayton, Ohio
Raptor drives are still the fastest non SCSI drives on the market.  the 74gig tops the 36 and is plenty of space for windows and game files.  Yes a raid 0 set will be fast but if either drive fails the whole thing is lost and you won't see a major diff in speed unless you are using raptors in the raid set.  the prices for the 74 raptors have dropped.  I bought the 74 over a year ago for almost 200 and it was worth every penny.  I am still one of the first 4 or 5 into every round.
FrEaK
+1|6782|Finland
just go to bios and put everywhere where there says: silenced-off worked for me.
Now running bf2 on medium/high settings and 780 megas RAM only, overclocked nvidia geforce 6600 and 3,2 ghz processor...I get on the server almost everytime at first and usually get the jet first
btw, NO LAG AT ALL

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard