Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6349|uk

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

GGF0RCE wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Any idea what's it does?

Oh, actually, is that so the game knows when to make the vehicles go faster?
No, it's where the road goes.
Eh? Do you not just paint roads in with a road texture then?
no.

Theres a road tool, once selected you draw on the the path of the roads on the terrain by CTRLALT + clicking. Once done, you choose one of the prexisting road templates (~40), and then connect the road together, and viola.

When the map is packed for release, the editor burns the textures onto the ground texture files.

Last edited by Titch2349 (2008-05-08 08:41:08)

Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6563|England

Titch2349 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

GGF0RCE wrote:

No, it's where the road goes.
no.

Theres a road tool, once selected you draw on the the path of the roads on the terrain by CTRLALT + clicking. Once done, you choose one of the prexisting road templates (~40), and then connect the road together, and viola.

When the map is packed for release, the editor burns the textures onto the ground texture files.
Fixed

Looks good...but Kubra is oversized as it is, and with 20 flags? I can see the action being too far spread out. Like others have said, less flags.
Weflect
wut?
+30|5927|Finland
When will this be ready?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

Snake wrote:

Titch2349 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

no.

Fixed

Looks good...but Kubra is oversized as it is, and with 20 flags? I can see the action being too far spread out. Like others have said, less flags.
Actually smaller than Kubra and not huge distances between, my main reason for the flag number was that one team couldn't suddenyl go and lap up the five avaliable flags. Designed to make the game last longer I suppose.

Weflect wrote:

When will this be ready?
Could be a while yet, the last proper map I made I kinda rushed it off, this one I'll take my time with .

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2008-05-08 08:57:08)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6763|Cambridge (UK)

Titch2349 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

What's with the freaky-deaky yellow lines?
Yellow lines connect objects to flags-> I.e spawns to flags, and objects to flags. The green cubes that are connected via yellow lines to the flags are the spawn points for players (they are also there for the objects, but the object mesh covers them over)

Red Lines is the "spline" of the road

Any thin blue lines you can see around flags mark the radius of the flag.

Any thick blue/ red line you see around the edge of the map is the combat area.

The bright green terrain on one of the screenshots shows unpainted surrounding terrain.

Nice map M.O.A.B- as always. Loads of detail, but I would consider (well.... I would), cut down on the 20 flags.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/513/highwaypm1.jpg - you've duplicated the spline by accident on the top screen.
Sweet. Thanks. I might have to have a play around with the map editor myself - how easy is it to use?

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-05-08 10:05:55)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Titch2349 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

What's with the freaky-deaky yellow lines?
Yellow lines connect objects to flags-> I.e spawns to flags, and objects to flags. The green cubes that are connected via yellow lines to the flags are the spawn points for players (they are also there for the objects, but the object mesh covers them over)

The bright green terrain on one of the screenshots shows unpainted surrounding terrain.

Nice map M.O.A.B- as always. Loads of detail, but I would consider (well.... I would), cut down on the 20 flags.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/513/highwaypm1.jpg - you've duplicated the spline by accident on the top screen.
Sweet. Thanks. I might have to have a play around with the map editor myself - how easy is it to use?
Long story short, its a real pain in the ass but I suppose it gets the job done.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6763|Cambridge (UK)

M.O.A.B wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Titch2349 wrote:

Long story short, its a real pain in the ass but I suppose it gets the job done.
sounds about right from my little experience with editors in the past.

also, as others have said - very nice looking map.
Very varied and the woodland path bit looks very atmospheric.
But it's hard to see how things fit together from those screenies.
Any chance of a shot of the whole map in one screeny? (or you not wanting to reveal too much?)
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6556|Hungary
MOAB better tell DICE that they should check your maps as soon they are ready and if they like it and if WE like it they could include them with a map pack thing jsut as Highway Tampa. Wow they dont wasted money on their players..as one player did it for free to the bf2 community.
Man it would be nice if this could work...
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6349|uk

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Because of the complexity you get with map editors, it does a lot of things- so it is hard to use to start off with, however things are generally where you want them to be, and things are done reasonably logically- so it isnt bad in that sense.

You do get tutorials that explain to you how to build a map, but I never enjoyed working from them, and so learned by myself, and by following tutorials for specific tasks- not by following a tutorial for a whole map.

I recommend creating your own map- the reward/ satisfaction you get at the end is like nothing i've had before- but creating a map takes months of dedication.

http://bfeditor.org/forums/ is a great source of information for mappers, and topics are availible that explain the steps needed to complete maps from start to finish (mine for example )
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

sounds about right from my little experience with editors in the past.

also, as others have said - very nice looking map.
Very varied and the woodland path bit looks very atmospheric.
But it's hard to see how things fit together from those screenies.
Any chance of a shot of the whole map in one screeny? (or you not wanting to reveal too much?)
I might make a wee vid showing how it flows from one bit to another . But there are little things dotted around the map that people will ahve to find , thing is I placed flags in good places so its likely you'll visit those general areas.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6563|England

Titch2349 wrote:

You do get tutorials that explain to you how to build a map, but I never enjoyed working from them, and so learned by myself, and by following tutorials for specific tasks- not by following a tutorial for a whole map.
I found the best way is to use tutorials to get the hang of it, then try building your own map without them, and use them for reference. When I did a bit of mapping for CSS, I built about 10 test maps before I went ahead and made my only CSS map...beachassault.
For BF2...I did one map, and I was on it Theres a lot of mundane and manual parts with BF editor though, i.e. minimap and vehicle drops.

Mapping for CS/HL is a lot harder as you have to create all buildings yourself out of blocks. But the hammer editor > BF editor any day.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

Snake wrote:

Titch2349 wrote:

I found the best way is to use tutorials to get the hang of it, then try building your own map without them, and use them for reference. When I did a bit of mapping for CSS, I built about 10 test maps before I went ahead and made my only CSS map...beachassault.
For BF2...I did one map, and I was on it Theres a lot of mundane and manual parts with BF editor though, i.e. minimap and vehicle drops.

Mapping for CS/HL is a lot harder as you have to create all buildings yourself out of blocks. But the hammer editor > BF editor any day.
At the moment everythings chugging along nicely, my main concern though is that the envmaps will work on the waterplanes, the scope reflections and base water do but not the planes. Also hoping that when it gets to lightmapping, the objects will do it as well for the full effect.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6563|England

They all usually do, envmaps are easy. If you are that worried, make a backup copy of the map before doing them. Ditto with lightmaps.

But if you look at the vanilla maps, they used a single envmap for the entire map. You can sit in the gas stations or on the viaduct and see the mosque reflection in the BH glass (was a topic on here somewhere)
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

Snake wrote:

They all usually do, envmaps are easy. If you are that worried, make a backup copy of the map before doing them. Ditto with lightmaps.

But if you look at the vanilla maps, they used a single envmap for the entire map. You can sit in the gas stations or on the viaduct and see the mosque reflection in the BH glass (was a topic on here somewhere)
lol, what I've notcied is that the Su30 needs to be manually introduced into the Init file, otherwise it wont spawn. Weird.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6349|uk

M.O.A.B wrote:

Snake wrote:

lol, what I've notcied is that the Su30 needs to be manually introduced into the Init file, otherwise it wont spawn. Weird.
Pfft, ill be surprised if thats the case

By introduced, do you mean that the run /su30.con command has to be included in the init, or the actual spawn location?

run commands for all vehicles in the map are done in staticobjects.con, try whacking it in there and it should work- but I dont' see why the editor will suddenly stop doing it itself, and IIRC if no run command has been executed, and a object is requested that doesn't exist, then the game CTDs-  not just "doesnt appear"

If its the spawn location, make sure your putting in in the right layer (if you've done layers)

ofc, if you've got it working, then it doesnt really matter- it works, but im 99.9% sure i've included SU30's in my maps and they work fine with no editing files.

Last edited by Titch2349 (2008-05-08 12:59:19)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

I've done it before, but for some reason they don't register by the regular placing of object spawns, had to place j10s then change to su30s.
Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6520|the Netherlands
creative man looks nice
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6270
very nice!
100% Irishpride
Banned
+81|6157|Dublin
Good work dude, put the jets as PLA 2 SU Bombers and as US a F18 and F15, that would be very fair.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

100% Irishpride wrote:

Good work dude, put the jets as PLA 2 SU Bombers and as US a F18 and F15, that would be very fair.
Currently got the one f18 and planned 2 sus, but may put in an auxiliary airfield for an f15
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6678|Disaster Free Zone
Tooooooo many flags tbh. It looks nice, but 20 flags is just stupid (unless there's going to be like 200 people on the map). All it does is make most of the flags undefended and then turns the game into a flag cap war, rather then a fight. I'd cut the number of flags down to about 6 (maximum), but also make them take longer to change.
100% Irishpride
Banned
+81|6157|Dublin
I was thinking of this today in school and... I think 1 SU + 1 J-10 on PLA is ok, if you stick 2 runways (with hangers) with an F18 and an F15, aswell as a vertical lift pad for a F35, that map would serisly pwn...
100% Irishpride
Banned
+81|6157|Dublin

M.O.A.B wrote:

100% Irishpride wrote:

Currently got the one f18 and planned 2 sus, but may put in an auxiliary airfield for an f15
Also, I would take the Chinese SU to be a more powerfull jet than the F18 and putting 2 more powerfull jets against 1 weaker dosnt really help, what you are doing here mate is pretty much putting the F35 vs the J-10(Wake Island) and nobody with half a brain wants that...
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6188|Roma
Looks good, and don't want to put you down, but I can't help feeling that you have thought of all the things you/people like to see in maps then put it ALL in. May be bad for a focus to the map and make it unbalanced in places. On one of the screenies for instance, the flag is surrounded by crates, when you notice on DICE maps the flag areas are fairly exposed with one or two bits of cover.
Good job though, I wouldn't have the patience.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Luigi
Sniper Whore
+97|6176|Wisconsin
Update? I can't wait...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard