Should the USA rejoin the commonwealth?

Yes26%26% - 17
No73%73% - 46
Total: 63
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Giant_Squid500 wrote:

Hell no, because as mentioned in one of my threads, Im not paying an old ugly lady and her ugly ass family to sit on there butt's and do nothing.
So, you'd rather pay George Bush and his bunch of overpaid advisers to either sit on their on arses, or let George make people hate America even more, or lok like a monkey more than any Chimp does. Yes it is possible, he's proven it!

Yeah, no-one likes the royal family. Their job is to have the final say on laws that are passed by Parliament and the House of Representitives. If they both pass the law, all she has to say is "Yay" or "Nay". She lives in castles and palaces for no good reason, her job is the easiest in the world yet they're fucking royalty.
I think a coup is in order, I mean in no way is their going to be another William the Conqueror, so we're stuck with the bloody Winsors forever. All men are created equal but some are more equal than others. If you're born into the royal family, you're sorted for life.

Same could be said of the Bush family as well I suppose...
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6706|US
Um...55,000 US deaths in the first Gulf War...where did you get that number?  That was the approximate number of US deaths in both Korea and Vietnam. 

Back on topic.  Uh, NO.  The US is its own country now, has been for a while.  Why would we want to join anyway?  To be protected by a strong military or to better our financial prospects...nope not that.

I respect you commonwealth, but I'll stick with the good old US of A.
NemeSiS-Factor
Favorite Weapon? Pistol
+29|6662|Everett, WA, US

Tyferra wrote:

So, you'd rather pay George Bush and his bunch of overpaid advisers to either sit on their on arses, or let George make people hate America even more, or lok like a monkey more than any Chimp does. Yes it is possible, he's proven it!
No.  No I wouldn't.  Thank you for your input.

I WOULD however, very much like to pay Bush to keep us in Iraq so we can keep on kicking ass.  There ARE asses there that need a good kicking.  Pakistan's next.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6664|Colorado
why stop there, why not have the whole world unite so we can accomplish some really groundbreaking stuff like colonization of other planets / moons.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6713|Sydney, Australia
I nearly choked on my drink when I read this.

Commonwealth countries are those that were colonised by the British as part of their empire. You can not just say "oh, oh, I wanna be in your commonwealth".

If the Montreal Comedy Festival "Just for Laughs" serves me correctly, weren't the first americans (Founding fathers?) kicked out of England because of their religious beliefs? The were kicked out of merry old England (and thus the empire, one would think). Alas, the Brits came after them and started governing, like America was a colony.

After a while, the Americans wised up, and started their war of independance. "Independance against what?" you say... Why it was independance from the British Empire.

So:
- If the Americans were originally kicked out of England.
- Fought the British for independance.

Do you think they would have a snowballs chance in hell of being in the commonwealth?

Now, lets think of the political implications if they did join...

-America would have to change its governmental system.

dictionary.com wrote:

Republic - A political order whose head of state is not a monarch and in modern times is usually a president
Therefore, el presidente would have to relinquish most of his power. I don't see that happening either.

Looks like you are stuck there...  darn
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6763|Atlanta, GA USA

mcminty wrote:

I nearly choked on my drink when I read this.

Commonwealth countries are those that were colonised by the British as part of their empire. You can not just say "oh, oh, I wanna be in your commonwealth".

If the Montreal Comedy Festival "Just for Laughs" serves me correctly, weren't the first americans (Founding fathers?) kicked out of England because of their religious beliefs? The were kicked out of merry old England (and thus the empire, one would think). Alas, the Brits came after them and started governing, like America was a colony.

After a while, the Americans wised up, and started their war of independance. "Independance against what?" you say... Why it was independance from the British Empire.

So:
- If the Americans were originally kicked out of England.
- Fought the British for independance.

Do you think they would have a snowballs chance in hell of being in the commonwealth?

Now, lets think of the political implications if they did join...

-America would have to change its governmental system.

dictionary.com wrote:

Republic - A political order whose head of state is not a monarch and in modern times is usually a president
Therefore, el presidente would have to relinquish most of his power. I don't see that happening either.

Looks like you are stuck there...  darn
I'm pretty sure the early settlers weren't kicked out of England.  They fled England because of persecution.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
more like should the UK become a state......just kidding I got the utmost respect for our allies,  especially the new footage in basrah of the POW's, beautiful.
NemeSiS-Factor
Favorite Weapon? Pistol
+29|6662|Everett, WA, US

atlvolunteer wrote:

I'm pretty sure the early settlers weren't kicked out of England.  They fled England because of persecution.
Thats pretty scetchy for most people.  It may be their persecution WAS being kicked out.  That must have been a bummer, *ehr "wanker."
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
The first american settlers were not "kicked" out of england.  Butr your describing the puritans and they werent kicked out either.  They left on their own first to holland then over here.  Funny you should be describing the settlers of our nation as rejects when in fact werent the first Australians god damn prisoners.  I mean tell me if im wrong, wasnt australia a penal colony.  I think thats about as far away as england you could too aint it.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
I have done alot of studying and the parliamentary system of government really works well, but, it would not work in the US sadly (or not so sadly)
hanny76
+1|6691
the only reason we won the revolutionary war was it was to easy to kill british soldiers (in there flaming red uniforms) while the were walking through the forest.

is it me or is mel gibson always fighting the british??? braveheart, patriot.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6636
and that is really terrible defenition of republic.....a republic is a form of representative government, not just a lack of a monarchy
OpsChief
+101|6668|Southern California
lol  Is the real question to extend NAFTA to the Commonwealth?

To say the U.S. was made up of persecuted Englishmen is anglo-centric and sort of time twisted too. The U.S. as it stands demographically today is not what the New England was in the commonwealth days or even what it was 50 yrs ago. The question is about rejoining the commonwealth, OK, whatever the reason, and there was no single reason, for various 'colonials' from Europe had for moving to the Western Hemisphere is long past being relevant. First is there were people already here. Then some Europeans and Africans came because they were slaves because of generational family debts or kidnapping and had no choice. Still others came to increase their wealth, while some wanted freedom from various church and government persecutory practices and beliefs. A number escaped the hangman's noose in Europe and came here to go into politics. A few were adventurers and scientists. Some were soldiers and their camp followers.

The real question about commonewealth is asking  "how do fit 10lbs of shit in a 1lbs bag?" The U.S. is too big to fit into a much smaller sociopolitical-economic structure.

Please contact the United States of America's Department of State for submitting your petitions for Statehood.
RingPirate
+0|6704|Berlin
Hm, how about this we (Germany) give you the Schwarzwald and all our Sauerkraut if you make New Zealand leave the Commonwealth and join Germany? As independ as now of course (they can even keep playing their weired sports games). We would also agree on shipping over some decent beer for a number of years. What do you say? I don't have a flag to go with my proposal but whatever.
BVC
+325|6687

RingPirate wrote:

Hm, how about this we (Germany) give you the Schwarzwald and all our Sauerkraut if you make New Zealand leave the Commonwealth and join Germany? As independ as now of course (they can even keep playing their weired sports games). We would also agree on shipping over some decent beer for a number of years. What do you say? I don't have a flag to go with my proposal but whatever.
Black forest chocolate is nice, but I'm not a fan of saurkraut, and we've already got decent beer here but I'm sure some more wouldn't hurt

My grandfather would turn in his grave if he read this, but if we were to go join another country, I'd rather it be Germany than the USA.  You wouldn't be likely to get us involved in a war, and all the German women I've met are hot

OpsChief wrote:

lol  Is the real question to extend NAFTA to the Commonwealth?
Well we DID negotiate for a Free Trade Agreement with you lot, but apparently you don't want it unless we drop our anti-nuclear laws...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

If anything, the US flag would be in the upper left corner of Great Britain's. And then every country with a British flag icon would have to update it with a tiny US flag, too.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-02-23 13:50:19)

mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6713|Sydney, Australia

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

and that is really terrible defenition of republic.....a republic is a form of representative government, not just a lack of a monarchy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic wrote:

...in its broadest sense the idea of a Republic can include almost any form of government that is not a Monarchy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_republic wrote:

Usage of the term republic is inconsistent but, as a minimum, it means a state that does not have a monarch as head of state.
-----------

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If anything, the US flag would be in the upper left corner of Great Britain's. And then every country with a British flag icon would have to update it with a tiny US flag, too.
That doesn't work. If anything, the british flag would be in the top corner of the USA flag...

Last edited by mcminty (2006-02-23 23:29:51)

shspunkrockr
+0|6745
This has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard anybody come up with.. That is all.
Rathji
+1|6675

bigelectricat wrote:

if america folds back into the commonwealth the first thing we will do is abolish it and give the crown jewels back to the people. the english monarchy had discriminated against "lower class" citizens for hundreds of years and yet through all that she is still regarded as "upper class". the queen and her people can take their obsession with social class and shove it up their behind. nothing has come out of that palace but scandal and corruption. do you people of the commonwealth want to be represented by that kind of trash? i will never bow to an old fart who sits on a throne.
Ok, Karl. Let me know when you write your manifesto
shspunkrockr
+0|6745

Giant_Squid500 wrote:

Hell no, because as mentioned in one of my threads, Im not paying an old ugly lady and her ugly ass family to sit on there butt's and do nothing.

Plus we owned you with a bunch of n00b farmers some 200 years ago, and you were base raping us, I think we earned our freedom.
I literally got close to pissing my pants when I read that. LMAO
JimKong
+31|6634|Ohio
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/jaykuh/wrstthvr.jpg
Xaritix
Banned
+1|6617|Somewhere near Beverly Hills
Bush is a complete idiot anyway
general_rookie
Get off my lawn, whippersnapper!!
+6|6687
We left the 'commonwealth', because they suck.  if i wanted incest and bad teeth, i'd move to kentucky.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

What people don't understand is that the US is essentially the continuation of the Empire, only we drop food on our enemies.
coldtoast
+12|6610|uk
the queen is for tourists, the US revolutionaries fought gorrilla and mel gibson is gay. Brits dont have bad teeth - austin powers was a "film"...  since we've got arnold schwazenegger as govenor of cali, why dont we have david hasselhof as pres or the guy from different strokes.  Any one who can at least talk, preferably with loadsa money and contacts with big business should make it easy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard