Poll

ATI or NVIDIA???

Ati33%33% - 31
Nvidia65%65% - 60
Other1%1% - 1
Total: 92
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6737|Australia
You might flame me for this, but i think im the smartest 15 yr old techie here, and i think both of them are good, ok?

ATi have rock solid technology
nVidia have rock solid technology, but with more advertising on EA games

Both are good

Both have their better bits, but both are really good

Both have cards to compete against each other, one is usually a LITTLE better than the other, thats just the way it is
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725
nvidia drivers are still better lol
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA

NM156 wrote:

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

I am still right. Nvidia IS better than ATI when it comes to games
Do you know why that is for some games? Because Nvidia pays the game developers to make the games work better with their products. Why do you think all these games come bundled with NVidia spam??

This is an endless argument. Meh..
hes right
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6704|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

nvidia drivers are still better lol
holy shit your a fanboy all i see is you saying, nvidia pwns etc etc

heres my 2c, you can't really compare the 2 companies, but only there respective cards, ATi has good clock speeds on cards but nVidia has more pipelines, Nvidias drivers are more matured for bf2, I've heard alot of people complaining with issues about ATi's drivers, so if i had the choice between the 7800GTX card from nVidia or the X1900XTX from ATi purely on the drivers for nVidia
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6852|Waikato, Aotearoa
Yeah ummmm how the hell can you have "other" as a video card choice?? what other video card is there??
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
there are smaller and imean very small other video card manufacturs
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6737|Australia

Maj.Do wrote:

there are smaller and imean very small other video card manufacturs
well, yea, there are, but they suck

Intel? - Tehy cant reder a 3d cube without lagging
Sis? - They havnt released anything that could compete with the top we've got atm
3DFX? - Theyre not meant for gaming
Via? - Shit
OaksMokedBacon
+0|6716|Dundee, Scotland

sapoisk wrote:

ohh yeah and btw another thing i forgot.. when talking about BF2 then nvidia cards got an advantage over ATI since BF2 is made for running on nvidia cards roughtly said..

if you take two cards one from ati and one from nvidia with exact same specs (if it was possible but now we take it in logic) the nvidia card will beat the ati..

thats also something to take into consideration...
2 things,

1. BF2 is directx based, which ati has alway out performed nvidia on, after recently reading benchmark reviews to decide on a gfx upgrade this is what i ahve seen. thos saying that even with opengl the difference is negliable.

2. doubtful. Like i said above they have their strengths and weakness in different engine types + they render shaders, and textures differently. for example Ati is regularly known to ourperform nvidia when it comes to rendereing full screen AA and AF, but the picture quality is higher on nvidia, though i doubt any of our eyes would notice the difference.

I've had both types of card, my gf3 ti500 is probably the best gfx card i ahve ever owned, but my x800xt PE is growing on me and its 2 atis in a row now, a 9800pro and x800xt pe. Just read the reviews and judge for yourselves.
Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6697
ATI = Canadian thats a plus = superior to Nvidias cards in performance and reliability.
Ziggy_79x
+4|6694
Nvidia is the card to go with at this point in time if you are in the midrange market. Their 6600gt and 6800gs/gt cards are all very good buys for around $120 and $200 respectively. The options for an ATI card in the same price range are the X1300, X700, and X800 and X1600. The Nvidia cards destroy the ATI cards in almost every game and benchmark and they have more futureproof features like Pixel Shader 3. It really does come down to a matter of personal preference but in my opinion Nvidia cards, specifically the ones I mentioned are a better buy right now.

Last edited by Ziggy_79x (2006-02-18 19:37:44)

-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6737|Australia
An Everlasting Flame war
bigelectricat
+3|6700

mjw wrote:

I have seen a thread about ati owning nvidia but this is slightly different.
I have just bought a x1900xt this month and i think it really kicks ass, but i also liked my 6800gt from nvidia which i just upgraded from.
Thing is i dont like the ATI catalyst control center and i had to download third party software(ATI tray tools), which makes me slightly angry at ATI as when you spend that type of money on a product you dont expect to have to mess around with it.
Also ATI's drivers suck. I have seen numerous threads on other forums about how bf2 looks much worse with ATI and also has graphical issues, such as getting no Anti Aliasing or getting shadow corruption on vehicles.

So what do you think, ATI or NVIDIA???
if you really dont like the catalyst control center then download the last version of the regular control panel for ati video cards. i think they stopped releasing the regular control panel on version 5.90. if you can find it online download it and use it instead of the control center. its much better and more stable.
bigelectricat
+3|6700
i forgot to clarify. if you dont want to use the control center from ati but want to use the latest video card driver you have to download the device driver and wdm driver separately. dont download the full install which contains the control center.
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

An Everlasting Flame war
so true
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
preheats the oven or am i too late
Crosell
+0|6679
I had a 9800 pro and the control center would always crash when I tried to use it, I had to get some third party stuff for me.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6680
Yup, it's personal preferance.

Personaly... I have used both, and I LOVE Nvidia.  Cannot go wrong with them period.
nelson496
+3|6793
I've always been an ATi fan since the 8500 series but as new games come out I slowly leaned over to Nvidia.  Ati makes great cards except I wanted SM3.0 and I didnt want to wait until the ATi X1xxx series to come out.  So I bought a 6600GT which is a great over clocker.
JohnM^{Outlawz}
+1|6646|United States
I have a 6600GT, it kicks
emperorphoenix
+5|6783|Westeren Australia
ati drivers suck nvidia 4 the win
KyanWan
+0|6779
I started off with ATI - their drivers sucked.  I had so much headache with my "top of the line" ATI card ... lack of OpenGL support, bad drivers, etc etc - ahem, in 1996/1997 - that I gave up on it.

I was strictly Nvidia - from TNT onwards. 

After my GeForce (3,4?) was getting old - I was wondering about all this ATI hype - they're so good, maybe I should give them a try.

I have 3x ATI 9600 series from my experimentation ( mainly, because I got free copies of HalfLife 2 with 2 of them), and 2 Nvidia cards:

6800 vanilla <- my "other" gaming system
6600 GT <- my current gaming system

Needless to say, the only cards I have that I really care about - are the Nvidia cards. 

HOWEVER.  I've got to admit, this 9600SE that I have (yeah, I know.  It blows) can actually -run- BF2 pretty good ... other than the graphics failure every so often (mostly on 64 player SF maps, like Warlord)

Needless to say, I'm impressed at that to say the least - it can actually perform.

ATI's got a history of crappy drivers.  Nvidia's got good drivers & support - but sometimes the hardware is ... meh ... you know (can anyone say FX series?).

If you really want my opinion, take the current offerings into consideration.  Look over the problems of each line.  Take price into a consideration - potential ATI problems > price of Nvidia => go with Nvidia.

Here's another factor - I have no idea if it applies to anyone here ..
- If you don't ever foresee yourself needing Linux support, then you can definitely consider an ATI.
If you think you may run Linux for any reason, don't bother with an ATI - unless you'd like to relive the days of those ULTRA POWER COLOR 32BIT VESA 1MB 64K SVGA CARD!!! ZOMG WOOHOO!!  UPGRADABLE TO 1.5MB!  OMG ELITE!  EYE SEW WANTE WAN!  ( in other words, ATI does not support Linux for crap. )
Ballistix5
+36|6783|Forster NSW
Depends Wether you like red or Blue I think :p

The thing is, Battlefield 2 was Built on Nvidia cards. So will MANY games to come
the only games beeing built for ATI are the Valve collection (CS: S, HL2 etc.)

I would go for the 7800, there goin down in price sooner than the X1900 and there pretty much as good.
in a few months when they drop a hundred bucks or more u can get another one
Martijn_KMC
+0|6686|The Netherlands
I have an ATI card because this was in the PC that I bought. I don't really care about the graphics I have the setting as low as possible because the game runs good with that. The graphics suck then but I don't care about i want to play the game and not watch it as a painting.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6684|Planet Seibertron ;)

Martijn_KMC wrote:

I have an ATI card because this was in the PC that I bought. I don't really care about the graphics I have the setting as low as possible because the game runs good with that. The graphics suck then but I don't care about i want to play the game and not watch it as a painting.
Now that's what I call HARDCORE!   Play the game, worry not of the graphics and the card rendering it.  Wish I know more people who has that idea.  "If it runs, it runs.  Who cares if it ran like crap?"
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
when i ran my 5500 that was my state of mind, atleast im lucky enough to play the game, now i have a gtx and another on the way

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard