CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine
Sniping is basically useless except for urban maps.

I was playing operation clean sweep tonight, as USMC. I snuck over to their airfield at sat by a rock at the end with the M95, waiting for someone to jump into the jet so I could shoot them out. But, I got killed 3 times by their commander, 3 different spots.

I wish commanders would just command. Isn't that pretty much cheating, being able to pin-point someone then come kill them? That's really stupid. Commander's shouldn't be able to have a weapon.

Not much point in sneeking off onto enemy lines, in a spot that no one would possibly see you, then getting stabbed in the back of the head by the fricken commander.

Infact, having a ghilii suit is stupid too, because the commander can just zoom into his little scan screen and come kill you.

It'd be one thing to have just a scanner, but to be able to zoom in and see exactly where a guy is, hiding or not, then come kill them... I dunno, seems like cheating, or a very unfair advantage. Commander could just run around with his little zoomed in map on him wherever he goes, and find people then stab them in the back.
[FB]Eraser
Back in battle after 3-year break
+39|6720|Switzerland
When I'm commanding at Clean Sweep on MEC side, I'm mostly located at the airfield. If I see someone hanging around, when I'm scanning, I go for him at send him a clip of rounds.

That has nothing to do with cheating! I don't know what class you are and that you just camping. It could be possible to, that you are waiting for a good moment to cap the flag or try to hunt me down.

Last edited by [FB]Eraser (2006-02-23 00:38:41)

CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine
Yeah, because a sniper's primary objective would be capping flags.. I must have forgotten.

I didn't say commanding was cheating. What I meant was, it is extremely unfair that the commander can see EXACTLY where someone is, then come kill them. That's stupid. IRL, the guy with a satellite image of someone/something like that isn't gonna jump out of his chair and knife them.

"I don't know what class you are and that you just camping."

Not quite sure what that was supposed to mean, but if I'm complaining about sniping, isn't it obvious I was a sniper?
Urlor J'kron
Medic Whore
+0|6683|Alabama, USA
I believe his point was while in game he doesn't know what kit you may be using.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6671|Colorado
quit whining & get even...
DuVeL
+2|6668|New Gitland, the Netherlands
You forget one of the most important rules of the sniperkit aswell: Don't stay on the same spot to much.
Als commanders in RL could do heatscans on which they can see you very clearly.
If I see someone near my base as a commander and no squad takes him out, I'll do the job myself.
CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine

DuVeL wrote:

You forget one of the most important rules of the sniperkit aswell: Don't stay on the same spot to much.
Als commanders in RL could do heatscans on which they can see you very clearly.
If I see someone near my base as a commander and no squad takes him out, I'll do the job myself.
I went to a different spot every time.

I realize commanders in real life can zoom in like that with satellites and such, but my point is they're not going to hop up and come kill you themself. They're in a nice air condition room with a computer, not out in the middle of a battlefield.

It'd be one thing if they had spotted me and someone killed me... I don't mind that, but when he can just zoom in and know my exact location and direction... that's so unfair.
The0wner
+0|6652
commanders should only be able to look threw commander view and tell people where he is so he cant pinpoint theyre exact location
[FB]Eraser
+39|6720|Switzerland

Urlor J'kron wrote:

I believe his point was while in game he doesn't know what kit you may be using.
Thank you, Urlor. That was exactly my point!

CrazeD wrote:

Yeah, because a sniper's primary objective would be capping flags.. I must have forgotten.

"I don't know what class you are and that you just camping."

Not quite sure what that was supposed to mean, but if I'm complaining about sniping, isn't it obvious I was a sniper?
Keep your sarcasm for yourself. As you probaly can see, I have edited my first post. I have done this, to take out my sarcasm about your complain, because it's finally not very constructive. I just tried to explain you, what the reason is, if I go and kill someone in my enviroment, when I'm commanding.

As a commander, my first objective is to support my team and I'm in the commander screen about 99% of the round. But when I see some red dots (just red dots!) close to me, then I go for them, because im not in the mood to die!

Last edited by [FB]Eraser (2006-02-23 01:14:14)

Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6654|Brisbane, Australia

snipers show up as snipers on spottings, the rest is *Infantry*
[FB]Eraser
+39|6720|Switzerland

Sarrk wrote:

snipers show up as snipers on spottings, the rest is *Infantry*
That's correct, but only if you point them with the mouse on the commnander screen and "spot" them. If you just scan, it's nothing more than a red dot. And if this red dot is to close to my position, I go for it, regardless what class it is.

Last edited by [FB]Eraser (2006-02-23 01:12:38)

Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6747|Mark it zero.
use your sound... and also claymores work good
CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine

Kamikaze17 wrote:

use your sound... and also claymores work good
Yeah, claymores don't work well against tanks.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6672|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
So your moaning about, getting knifed while picking people off from a distance they can't see you at an "uncapable" flag?  Saying that cos the comm can see you it isn't fair?  The people your sniping at, they can't see you either.

You'd have more fun if you sneaked ya way round the back of the hanger and placed some clay's by the front entrance of the hanger. You may have more fun with a diffrent kit and probably find your name at the end of a round on the ladder rather than at the bottom out of sight. (top 20 show on a 64 man game)

Rather than just camping there, try "attacking" with a sniper. Get in a squad and be there eyes from a distance.  You may have some protection from a sneaky knife aswell.  The biggest fun you can have with the sniper kit (imo) is on Karkland with claymores.  You'll probably get the "explosive" badges there aswell.  Failing that be a commander whilst having sniper kit chosen and go give them simular treatment.  As mentioned already at least protect yourself by placing mines down (call in for supply crate aswell) and don't keep yourself in the one posistion, kill someone and move on, focus your sights on your last posistion and take the sneaky knifer out.

Now onto the subject of moaning. If I didn't like say for eg, Macdonald's burgers, I wouldn't write and tell them, or moan to somebody about it. I'd probably go to Burger King instead.  Same applies for the game, if you don't like something, don't upset yaself by doing it again. Move on and picksomething else, this game offer's something for everyone regardless of taste.

When I'm a commander I usually protect my "assets" which were near your sniping posistion by the sounds of it.  Or I attack the enemies assets with c4.  The comm could of wiped you with arty in one hit but that would be a waste.  By coming after you he protected his assets and troops enetring vehicles., whilst still having a full arty load at his disposal.
CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine
I wasn't at an uncappable flag for one.. I was sitting at the end of the runway at operation clean sweep. "small airbase" is the flag name.

I'm not saying what he did was wrong or unfair, I'm just saying the ability to view opponents with a live video feed is unfair. I'm not saying he used this neccasarily, but I'm just saying, on a different note, that this is unfair.

But whatever, I'm over it.
*ToRRo*cT|
Spanish Sniper-Wh0re
+199|6742|Malaga, España
@Crazed: It isnt smart to kill a Commander on your own when he is sitting on his ass and using his assets. leave the commander alone. its a Worthless kill. he spot you easier then you spot him and ur a sniper and probally he's a Support or anything with a automatic gun.

and about my experience dont hang on the same spot too long a commanders loves to waste his arty on u being a sniper.

just kill whats running past ur scope.

about my experience as a Commander. mostly i dont use the tottally zoomed view...i only do it when my scanners picks up a red spot too close for me being comfortable with it and ofcourse i kill it...he could cap my flag, kill me personally , steal a vehicule or use himself as a spawnpoint for his teammates.

Last edited by *ToRRo*cT| (2006-02-23 03:54:56)

CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine

*ToRRo*cT| wrote:

@Crazed: It isnt smart to kill a Commander on your own when he is sitting on his ass and using his assets. leave the commander alone. its a Worthless kill. he spot you easier then you spot him and ur a sniper and probally he's a Support or anything with a automatic gun.

and about my experience dont hang on the same spot too long a commanders loves to waste his arty on u being a sniper.

just kill whats running past ur scope.

about my experience as a Commander. mostly i dont use the tottally zoomed view...i only do it when my scanners picks up a red spot too close for me being comfortable with it and ofcourse i kill it...he could cap my flag, kill me personally , steal a vehicule or use himself as a spawnpoint for his teammates.
Where did I say I was trying to shoot the commander?

I said, if you read it, that I was going to shoot people out of the hanger and out of the jet when they got in it. Never did I say I was going to shoot the commander.
SierraKilo9
+0|6745|Sydney
Hate to throw the dagger of reality into the fray (and I'm quite sure reality is not a major component of BF) but thermal imaging is a tool on a real batllefield be it sat or helo based and I'll argue to those interested that it's AWAC's generation enabled aircraft also.

As has been outlined in previous posts you are mad if you take the same position for any length of time (say 2-3mins). 

Don't know about you but when playing commander I run scans and keep my teams briefed constantly.

Keep moving, use cover and above all take your opportunities when available - It's your neck mate.

Rock'N'Roll.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6735

CrazeD wrote:

but to be able to zoom in and see exactly where a guy is, hiding or not,
Wow, I guess you have never played SF:Warlord, ever noticed that the palace has 4 stories (including roof) and that the Sat. Scan/UAV does not provide a 3D image. Good luck in locating them!

Last edited by Bernadictus (2006-02-23 04:16:32)

aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6791
Worse is Iron Gator - scan and uav are pretty much useless once MEC gets onto the boat.

And saying IRL the commander isn't going to jump out of his chair and kill you himself - no, he's not.  He's going to have guards on the airbase and direct them to your position.  Then either they will shoot you or they'll set attack dogs onto you.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6672|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Sorry Craze I thought you men't the usmc airbase where there arty was. Hence me saying uncappable, if you would of included that I certanly wouldnt of got confused, neither of us is to blame. There are of course 3 runways on the map.

I don't agree with you on the subject of having a live video feed is unfair.  If only one team had this advantage I'd agree and also say thats unfair, but not when it's the same for both teams. Your commander could of warned you with an "enemy spotted" but Im sure he was busy elsewhere. I feel that for eg, having a blackhawk on Maashtuur is unfair because you look at the other team and they have a flying hippo with the same fire power as a spud gun.

I'm sorry you got owned by the commander but Im glad to read your over it, I for one have read enough posts moaning about the patch etc, my biggest moan is about cheats and hackers, I fucking hate them. Im now finding myself moaning about moaners.
FrEaK
+1|6781|Finland
if you are a sniper then just shoot the commander, u can propably kill him before he kills you...
DSRTurtle
+56|6684
Sniping is not useless.  It can help a team win a round.  Killing a good pilot just before he gets in a vehile.  Kill a commander when's he in the command screen giving orders.  There are a zillion other good reasons to be a sniper.  Some maps a good sniper can protect their team's assets from spec ops players. 

I use my claymores for different things depending on the role I am playing as a sniper. 

As to getting killed by a commader.  Tough Luck pal.  When a commander doesn't have an uncappable base, He has 2 choices:  Be Mobile or find some way out the way spot to hide and command.  Being a mobile commander is one the toughest things to do in BF2 if not the toughest.  So if you get killed by him, don't compalin. go back and kill him.  You will be helping your team.
=FDX=VEga
Carlos Hathcock Jr
+7|6710|'Ull, Yorkshire, England
It pisses me off when i'm having a good run as a sniper and Artillery lands on my head (yes I move after every couple of shots) I personally think that the commanders radar scans shouldn't show up snipers, I also think that enemy snipers shouldn't show up with a red tag on your screen - in my opinion this feature negates the purpose of a ghillie suit.

On the other hand, maybe you should quit whining and actually do something that benefits your team - a good sniper team can easily turn the tide of a battle -

https://img322.imageshack.us/img322/2185/screenshot00050ua.png

In this round i got more kills assists and flag defends than anyone else, I also personally took 49 tickets from the enemy team, i spent the entire round spotting enemies and directing artillery fire - thus helping my team.

Your camping at an airbase does very little to benefit your team and if the commander hadn't come to kill you, the pilot you snipe from his beloved Mig probably would have.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6695|Germany
Sniping isn't useless at all...

The best job for a sniper is defending a flag,I did this yesterday on Zonghua.
Put claymores at the spots where you expect the enemy to sneak along and keep your eye on the flag,if it is a key position you are guarding you can be sure that the commander will support you with UAVs and supply drops.

Another example is Kubra Dam where you can see several flags at once,sure,they are quite far away but that's the idea of being a sniper..long range kills.
On Kubra Dam I get insane shots with the L96A1 or the M24,it's pratically aiming at single pixels + calculating bulletdrop.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard