Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6591|The Land of Scott Walker
This week we find ourselves at Talladega for the Aaron's 499!  Coverage starts at 12pm CST on FOX.  It's a toss up between this track and Daytona for my favorite track in NASCAR so I can't wait til Sunday!  Jeff Gordon won both races at this track in 2007 so expect to see him and the other Hendrick boys up front.  Roush seems to have figured out the new cars much better this year, so Edwards, Biffle, and Kenseth will be a factor, too.  Don't forget about RCR either, Jeff Burton is the points leader and doesn't want to give that up any time soon. 

Completed : 1969
Distance : 2.66 miles
Shape : Tri-oval
Banking : 33° turns
16.5° frontstretch
2° backstretch
Frontstretch : 4,300 feet
Backstretch : 4,000 feet
Seating : 143,231

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/TalladegaSuperspeedway2.jpg/800px-TalladegaSuperspeedway2.jpg
https://www.stagefronttickets.com/nascar/TalladegaSuperspeedway.gif
https://www.hotelsbycity.net/images/travelguides/usa/alabama/talladega-big.jpg
i g
Banned
+876|6010|GA

woooot! can't wait

i'm definitely going to try to make the fall race this year
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6639|N. Ireland
Oh man - I can't wait! As a UKer I will have to wait on a torrent, but I should be watching the race by this Wednesday or so (3 days after main race). I can't wait!
Stingray24
Stingray24
Just heard on NASCAR Now that Tony Stewarts wants out of Gibbs Racing before the final year of his contract.  Go back to a Chevy team Tony!  You don't belong behind the wheel of a dirty Toyota!
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6564|Florida

Stingray24 wrote:

fap, fap, fap.
i g
Banned
+876|6010|GA

Stingray24 wrote:

Just heard on NASCAR Now that Tony Stewarts wants out of Gibbs Racing before the final year of his contract.  Go back to a Chevy team Tony!  You don't belong behind the wheel of a dirty Toyota!
yeah i saw him on that armor all commercial drooling over the corvette
Stingray24
Tony's a car guy, you know he respects Chevy waaaay more than Toyota.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719

Stingray24 wrote:

I've heard rumblings of this for a week or so, but tbh, the sources havent been exactly what I would distinguish as "trust worthy" so I took it kinda in stride.
Today, I hear it from a source I trust, and it went something like this:
Tony and JGR are/were in negotiations for a contract extension, terms arent being met. (for whatever thats worth) My source tells me Tony is looking elsewhere and could (by some) be considered a free agent.  Tony's current contract is up at the end of 08'.
Sounding a bit familiar gentlemen?

Lets look at this a second before we get all up in a tissy about Tony leaving JGR...

1. Tony wants more moolah and JGR isnt getting off of it.
    Tony goes and say a few choice words in a few choice ears about not being happy *boom* free agent rumors abound, make it back to JD Gibbs and all of a sudden, JGR may be in a more generous mood.  (Yes, its been done before hehe)

2. Tony doesnt get along well with Kyle ( oh duuhhhh...) and whats as far away from that snot nosed punk as he can get.
    Tony hasnt really gotten along with Denny for 2 whole seasons now...thats important too.
    Tony isnt the BDOC at JGR anymore...

3. Tony's cars this year have been utter shit.  No questioning that little fact.  Tony doesnt really get hot until mid-late season, but geezus, his season thus far has been dismal at best.  And why is his newfound team-mate running so bloody well?  This cant be making "joy for Gibbs" with Tony atm either...

4.  Tony just wants out of the stinking Toyota.  Well, its kinda like this...Tony still has other race teams that he owns (midget, sprint etc etc) that are Dodge powered.  This can and will be again a conflict for Tony and both of his factory sponsors.  I see no good comming from that what-so-ever.

Just my 2 cents on the Tony/JGR thing.  I'll be very interested to see how this plays out.  Tony doesnt strike me as the kind of person that would blow smoke up your ass, just for the pleasure of doing so.  He may very well be serious, only time will tell.

*keeps ear to the ground*
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719

Stingray24 wrote:

Tony's a car guy, you know he respects Chevy waaaay more than Toyota.
No question about that.  Have you seen some of the stuff he owns??!? Omg what a collection this man has...
Stingray24
Though I'm sure Chevrolet would love to have Tony back in one of their cars, I agree that Dodge is more likely his direction given his other teams.
Stingray24
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719

Stingray24 wrote:

Though I'm sure Chevrolet would love to have Tony back in one of their cars, I agree that Dodge is more likely his direction given his other teams.
Yeah, I agree on both counts cat.  Know any Dodge team that may want Tony?  hehehe

Gillette/Evernham...
Penske...
Gnassi/Sebates...

Imagine THAT lol Tony and Juan Pablo on the same team lol that would be like amonium nitrate and diesel hehehe

GEM need a driver of Tony's calibre...
Penske just need a driver hehehehe
Gnassi/Sebates need a driver of Tony's calibre...

I see wolves licking thier chops very soon, if not already.
Strngs012
+40|6564|Florida
Just read this at Jayski. It doesn't really say much. Jayski used to be so cutting edge before he sold out to ESPN.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719

Stingray24 wrote:

Check this out:

http://www.nascar.com/promos/talladega/
Yeah, thats cool stuff...I almost rented a scanner at Bristol this year.  Shoulda done that...

at any rate, yeah stuff like this is great to have.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719
Update to the Tony Stewart rumors.  They arent rumors anymore

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlin … index.html

And where in hell did I get Dodge as his USAC engine supplier??  According to this article, they are GM powered...I dunno, my brain, it gets old hehehe

Haas/CNC has approached him...be the next best thing to a Hendrick car if there is no room at the inn...so to say

This story has leggs for days, I think this will be an issue for months to come.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719
I hate to be posting 3 times consecutive...you guys need to get up earlier hehehe

ah well...

just read this little snippet about Jr.  Thought I would share

*text courtesy o NASCAR.com*

Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s talent on the plate tracks is unquestioned. It was said of his father that Dale Earnhardt could see the draft, and Junior has "inherited the wind." Little E was untouchable from fall 2001 through fall 2004, finishing first or second in seven consecutive races, including a remarkable streak of four consecutive victories. In one of the two races he lost, it was his then-teammate Michael Waltrip that took the checkers. Unfortunately, when that streak ended, it was abrupt and decisive. In his last six attempts on this track, Earnhardt has failed to record another top-five and finished outside the top 20 four times, but that will change this Sunday. With Hendrick Motorsports power under the hood and a new lease on life, Talladega fans will witness his return to the front of the pack and only cruel lady fate can stop him from finishing in the top five.

cant wait
DSRTurtle
+56|6832
Tony to RCR?  Why not.  They are adding a 4th car with a driver to be named later.  RCR is running much better than HAAS or the Dodge guys.  Right now the best Dodges out there are Kahne and Newman and they aren't exactly setting the world on fire.  Tony's season has been his usual start to the season.  Top 10's except for Las Vegas where a blown tire ended his day. 

I suspect that some of Tony's unhappyness is from the fact he hasn't been to Victory Lane yet while both his teammates have.  All 3 are extremely talented drivers who want to win.  Time will tell what happens.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719

DSRTurtle wrote:

Tony to RCR?  Why not.  They are adding a 4th car with a driver to be named later.  RCR is running much better than HAAS or the Dodge guys.  Right now the best Dodges out there are Kahne and Newman and they aren't exactly setting the world on fire.  Tony's season has been his usual start to the season.  Top 10's except for Las Vegas where a blown tire ended his day. 

I suspect that some of Tony's unhappyness is from the fact he hasn't been to Victory Lane yet while both his teammates have.  All 3 are extremely talented drivers who want to win.  Time will tell what happens.
Yeah, agreed.  All very valid points, and destinations...Tony's contract isnt up till the end of 09'.  But as well all know, there are ways around that hehe.

Indeed, time will tell.
Strngs012
+40|6564|Florida
According to the guys on speed during practice, Tony is just listening to offers. Some of the offers include a percentage of ownership. All this while JGR works out a multi year contract offer for him. I think in Tony's position it's would be foolish of him to not listen to the offers.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6719

Strngs012 wrote:

According to the guys on speed during practice, Tony is just listening to offers. Some of the offers include a percentage of ownership. All this while JGR works out a multi year contract offer for him. I think in Tony's position it's would be foolish of him to not listen to the offers.
Yeah, I agree, thats just good bussiness really.
Stingray24
Front Row Joe takes the poll in his Hendrick powered Chevy!  

Cool paintjob too.

https://www.ndptf.org/press_room/resources/NDPNASCAR2790.jpg
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6639|N. Ireland
Won't be viewing this thread until Tuesday ish whenever I have the torrent done! Can't wait!
Stingray24
Woohoo!  This track is so much fun to watch, even on the Nationwide!
i g
Banned
+876|6010|GA

Stingray24 wrote:

Woohoo!  This track is so much fun to watch, even on the Nationwide!
fuck yeah!!!!!!! wait til you see it in person

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard