Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

lowing wrote:

I want to buy my wife a cookoo clock while I am there,  any suggestions for German quality and craftsmenship and reputation?
Aren't they Swiss?
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6523|Portland, OR USA
If you want a serious grasp of the scale of the Jewish slaughter, go to Dachau.  You don't even need to look at the pictures or walk around.  All you have to do is stand there.  It's still a palpable presence 60 years later.

EDIT:  On a much more positive and happy note, I spent considerable time in Ganderkesee which was awesome and even performed in the Koeln (Cologne) Cathedral.  I also travelled the Romantischestrasse (Romantic Road) and was particularly fond of Rotthenburg.  It still has it's city wall.  It's a beautiful city.  I highly recommend all these things.

Last edited by PuckMercury (2008-04-24 11:24:40)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

I want to buy my wife a cookoo clock while I am there,  any suggestions for German quality and craftsmenship and reputation?
Aren't they Swiss?
Yeah I was educated on that earlier in this thread. So I guess I gotta go to Switzerland. Oh well. How is travel from country to country in Europe, is it easy to get around, or very expensive??
CameronPoe
+2,925|6551

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Aren't they Swiss?
Yeah I was educated on that earlier in this thread. So I guess I gotta go to Switzerland. Oh well. How is travel from country to country in Europe, is it easy to get around, or very expensive??
Rent a high powered car and do the Nurnbergring - no speed limits on German autobahns...
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6734|The Hague, Netherlands

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Aren't they Swiss?
there are high speed trains going all over the place

ICE in Germany
Eurostar: Paris - London
Thalys: Paris - Brussels - Amsterdam
ICE (NS): Amsterdam - Cologne

but to Switserland, I dunno.

or are you thinking about renting a car? (international driver licence?)
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Pierre
I hunt criminals down for a living
+68|6671|Belgium

lowing wrote:

So I guess I gotta go to Switzerland. Oh well. How is travel from country to country in Europe, is it easy to get around, or very expensive??
Remember Switzerland is not an EU member, so you'll be checked at the border. Have your papers ready. Inside the EU (Schengen countries) there is no control at the borders anymore. If you would like to visit Antwerp to taste some of our beers, pm me.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6515|Πάϊ

CameronPoe wrote:

Rent a high powered car and do the Nurnbergring - no speed limits on German autobahns...
Dude the Nürburgring is very dangerous for noobs. People die every day is what I've head because their cars are not prepared for track, or they don't know the turns etc

Must be 
ƒ³
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6507|Gold Coast
tl;dr.

Get yourself to Berlin. Go on the English speaking walking tour of Berlin. Its pretty damned good. I went on Christmas Day 2006 and our guide was an Aussie called Penny or something. Its worth the time, trust me.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA
I am finding all of this very useful and am passing it on to my friends/co-workers as well. Thanks again
JahManRed
wank
+646|6624|IRELAND

lowing wrote:

I am finding all of this very useful and am passing it on to my friends/co-workers as well. Thanks again
"D&ST.............The community that just keeps on giving"

Except for Braddock...........he likes to "receive"
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6837|Cologne, Germany

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Aren't they Swiss?
I didn't say that. The Black Forest industry has a long-standing tradition in clock-making. I am confident you'll find a clock that meets your expectations in germany. All I said was that some consider the clocks made in Switzerland to be of better quality.
Wether that is true or not is for everyone to see for themselves, I guess. Some of it may be wishful thinking on part of the swiss clock makers...

It's a limited market after all.

But I guess since those clocks seem to be popular in the states, there is a chance there will be some information available on the base.
I don't think you'll be the first guy wanting to buy a clock....

I find it funny btw that a lot of Americans coming to visit germany actually think that bavaria is a valid representation of germany as a whole. Not you, of course, but some really seem to believe bavaria = germany.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6526|The lunar module
If engineering / machinery / historic aircraft are your thing, one of the best places in the world for that kind of thing is the Deutsches Museum in Munich. Haven't been there myself, but several respectable sources have reported to me that it is magnificent.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6219|Escea

oug wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Dude the Nürburgring is very dangerous for noobs. People die every day is what I've head because their cars are not prepared for track, or they don't know the turns etc

Must be 
Safest road network in the world.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6837|Cologne, Germany

apollo_fi wrote:

If engineering / machinery / historic aircraft are your thing, one of the best places in the world for that kind of thing is the Deutsches Museum in Munich. Haven't been there myself, but several respectable sources have reported to me that it is magnificent.
QFT
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6515|Πάϊ

M.O.A.B wrote:

oug wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Must be 
I know. I'm talking about track days at Nürburgring.
ƒ³
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6647|USA
Ok, I am in Bad Windsheim and I must confess. I absolutely love it here. The people are friendly,and courteous, the town is clean and old. I do not want to go back to the states. I find it fascinating here. No one is in a hurry, no one is rude to one another. The history is mind blowing. One building has a cannon ball still lodged in it from 1643. The countryside is breath taking (Just got back from one of the local vinyards).

For any American that comes here, you will find yourself ashamed of your gluttony, manners, and lack of respect. I have fallen in love with Europe. You guys truely know how to live with a quality of life most Americans will never appreciate.

It is not Eurotrash, it is indeed Ameriatrash.

More to come
CameronPoe
+2,925|6551

lowing wrote:

Ok, I am in Bad Windsheim and I must confess. I absolutely love it here. The people are friendly,and courteous, the town is clean and old. I do not want to go back to the states. I find it fascinating here. No one is in a hurry, no one is rude to one another. The history is mind blowing. One building has a cannon ball still lodged in it from 1643. The countryside is breath taking (Just got back from one of the local vinyards).

For any American that comes here, you will find yourself ashamed of your gluttony, manners, and lack of respect. I have fallen in love with Europe. You guys truely know how to live with a quality of life most Americans will never appreciate.

More to come
Account hack????
PureFodder
+225|6281

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

More to come
Account hack????
Labotomy?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

PureFodder wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

More to come
Account hack????
Labotomy?
Awakening
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Aren't they Swiss?
The trains and busses shuttles all over Europe but for max pleasure you should rent a car and drive around if your US license is valid in Europe - be aware though that many countries like Switzerland, Austria and Italia have fares for driving on the Autobahn (highway)

Almost every town has a information office or Tourist information that can guide you to whatever town you would like to visit, often they can also book tickets and such for you in advance
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6734|The Hague, Netherlands

Varegg wrote:

lowing wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Aren't they Swiss?
The trains and busses shuttles all over Europe but for max pleasure you should rent a car and drive around if your US license is valid in Europe - be aware though that many countries like Switzerland, Austria and Italia have fares for driving on the Autobahn (highway)

Almost every town has a information office or Tourist information that can guide you to whatever town you would like to visit, often they can also book tickets and such for you in advance
thought he needed an international driver licence

http://www.idlservice.com/

not sure tho.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

oug wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

oug wrote:

Must be 
I know. I'm talking about track days at Nürburgring.
You'll get a global ban from Hertz if they find out you've taken one of their cars on it. I'm assuming most other rental places are similar. Might not be worth it...
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6627|Finland

lowing wrote:

I absolutely love it here
Welcome to Europe.
I need around tree fiddy.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire

Varegg wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Account hack????
Labotomy?
Awakening
Interpol have obviously detained him and obtained his login details by waterboarding him and are now using his account to spread Euro propaganda!

Just kidding, I'm glad to hear you like our continent. It's always good to see how the other side live; I myself loved it when I was in America despite the fact that many people probably imagine me as a Euro-Communist, terrorist sympathising, America 'hater'!

Be warned...things will be noticeably less efficient the minute you leave Germany!
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire

JahManRed wrote:

lowing wrote:

"D&ST.............The community that just keeps on giving"

Except for Braddock...........he likes to "receive"
Hey...I'm a pitcher, not a catcher!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard