Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7358448.stm
Saudi women 'kept in childhood'
Saudi women are being kept in perpetual childhood so male relatives can exercise "guardianship" over them, the Human Rights Watch group has said.

The New York-based group says Saudi women have to obtain permission from male relatives to work, travel, study, marry or even receive health care.
Their access to justice is also severely constrained, it says.
The group says the Saudi establishment sacrifices basic human rights to maintain male control over women.
Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world where women are not allowed to drive.
Saudi clerics see the guardianship of women's honour as a key to the country's social and moral order.

The report, Perpetual Minors: Human Rights Abuses Stemming from Male Guardianship and Sex Segregation in Saudi Arabia, draws on more than 100 interviews with Saudi women.
Farida Deif, women's rights researcher for the Middle East at Human Rights Watch, said: "Saudi women won't make any progress until the government ends the abuses that stem from these misguided policies."
The report says that Saudi women are denied the legal right to make even trivial decisions for their children - women cannot open bank accounts for children, enrol them in school, obtain school files or travel with their children without written permission from the child's father.

Human Rights Watch says that Saudi women are prevented from accessing government agencies that have no established female sections unless they have a male representative.
The need to establish separate office spaces for women is a disincentive to hiring female employees, and female students are often relegated to unequal facilities with unequal academic opportunities, the report says.
Male guardianship over adult women also contributes to their risk of exposure to violence within the family as victims of violence find it difficult to seek protection or redress from the courts.
Social workers, physicians and lawyers say that it is nearly impossible to remove guardianship from male guardians who are abusive, the group says.
"It's astonishing that the Saudi government denies adult women the right to make decisions for themselves but holds them criminally responsible for their actions at puberty," said Ms Deif.

"For Saudi women, reaching adulthood brings no rights, only responsibilities."
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command
Cut and paste, badly miss-spelled title with no commentary of you own.

1.5/10
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
Cut and paste, badly miss-spelled title with no commentary of you own.

1.5/10
Which bit did I spell incorrectly?
The title was the commentary, and I wasn't looking for points.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England

ATG wrote:

stale copypasta is stale

1.5/10
fix'd

---

Although yeah, I can't wait for the day we're no longer (over) reliant on Oil, or need Oil at all. I don't see how hard it can be.

Step 1: Remove all oil/fossil fuel power plants. Replace with Nuclear/Wind/Hydro/Natural Gas/Fusion (Fusion power is a-comin soon y'hear)
Step 2: Replace all cars with electric (which will be generated using said power stations)
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Saudi Arabia/Middle East no longer needed/important. PROFIT.

Easier said than done, but that's my vision for the future. Once batteries become better than a fuel tank, and electric engines become better than an ICE (we're already pretty close) then it's easy. We're not that far off anyway.

Of course, you'd still need some oil for lubrication/plastics etc.. but, not as much and you can derive that from other non-sandy sources too.

Or am I just chatting shit?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

ATG wrote:

stale copypasta is stale

1.5/10
fix'd

---

Although yeah, I can't wait for the day we're no longer (over) reliant on Oil, or need Oil at all. I don't see how hard it can be.

Step 1: Remove all oil/fossil fuel power plants. Replace with Nuclear/Wind/Hydro/Natural Gas/Fusion (Fusion power is a-comin soon y'hear)
Step 2: Replace all cars with electric (which will be generated using said power stations)

Easier said than done, but that's my vision for the future. Once batteries become better than a fuel tank, and electric engines become better than an ICE (we're already pretty close) then it's easy. We're not that far off anyway.

Of course, you'd still need some oil for lubrication/plastics etc.. but, not as much and you can derive that from other non-sandy sources too.

Bring me a car with batteries that is as fun to drive as a car that uses oil, and I'll agree with you.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

sergeriver wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

ATG wrote:

stale copypasta is stale

1.5/10
fix'd

---

Bring me a car with batteries that is as fun to drive as a car that uses oil, and I'll agree with you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_roadster

Electric cars are no longer crappy 10mph cars with a range of 10 miles that take 48 hours to charge. Give it a few more years and you'll soon see proper practical cars that are just as good as their ICE counterparts.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

fix'd

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_roadster

Electric cars are no longer crappy 10mph cars with a range of 10 miles that take 48 hours to charge. Give it a few more years and you'll soon see proper practical cars that are just as good as their ICE counterparts.
Ok, I should have said "bring me an electric car, that doesn't cost a million bucks, and it's fun to drive".
Mekstizzle
WALKER

WAIT A FEW YEARS I SAIDS

And it's not that expensive.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

WAIT A FEW YEARS I SAIDS

And it's not that expensive.
I still prefer my Murcielago and my F430.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6460|Gogledd Cymru

100K isn't that expensive.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

sergeriver wrote:

Bring me a car with batteries that isn't worse for the environment during production as fun to drive as a car that uses oil, and I'll agree with you.
Fixed.

The production of those batteries (and other components) is as bad--if not worse--for the environment than running a gas-guzzler for years.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6498|Portland, OR USA
Personally, I'm placing my faith in hydrogen.  It's obscenely available and if the efficiencies can be worked out (research) then all you'd need to do is just add water to your tank and you're done.  Water in, water out.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL

PuckMercury wrote:

Personally, I'm placing my faith in hydrogen.  It's obscenely available and if the efficiencies can be worked out (research) then all you'd need to do is just add water to your tank and you're done.  Water in, water out.
https://www.failuremag.com/images/hindenburg.jpg

the electrolysis of water consumes more energy than the combustion of hydrogen, a car cannot run on water.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526
Everything should be electric, powered up using centrally dispatched power from a vast network nuclear power stations. Then sit back and wait until uranium runs out....

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-04-22 07:56:50)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6498|Portland, OR USA

S.Lythberg wrote:

PuckMercury wrote:

http://www.failuremag.com/images/hindenburg.jpg

the electrolysis of water consumes more energy than the combustion of hydrogen, a car cannot run on water.
Oh I know I know, ergo "... if the efficiencies can be worked out ... "

I'm not saying let's do it now or that is even IS ultimately feasible.  I maintain hydrogen as my personal favorite.  Petrol is combustible too ... I mean that's rather the point.  If these fluids were not combustible they wouldn't really work.

CameronPoe wrote:

Everything should be electric, powered up using centrally dispatched power from a vast network nuclear power stations. Then sit back and wait until uranium runs out....
Hydrogen can solve that too.  Wait ... don't you work for an electric company?

Last edited by PuckMercury (2008-04-22 07:59:38)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL

CameronPoe wrote:

Fast breeder reactors

Uranium -> Thorium -> Uranium

It will be thousands of years before the supply of uranium runs out, and there's even more thorium in the soil than uranium.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

FEOS wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Bring me a car with batteries that isn't worse for the environment during production as fun to drive as a car that uses oil, and I'll agree with you.
Fixed.

The production of those batteries (and other components) is as bad--if not worse--for the environment than running a gas-guzzler for years.
It's not just about the environment. It's about not being addicted to these states Oil. Also, the production of these batteries aren't as bad as.

- Fossil Fuel Power plants spewing out shit
- Oil Tankers causing leaks
- Cars spewing out shit

etc etc..

Also, FEOS. Don't give me that crap, I know what type of guy you are, you don't really care about the environment. I'm amazed that so many people are opposed to ideas that are actually beneficial to a whole load of people (except the Middle East)

I'm asking for an Oil-Phase out

Like Shveeden are doing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_phase-out

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-04-22 08:32:17)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina
This car won the 2006 edition of Le Mans.

https://img261.imageshack.us/img261/681/audir10bielaleadsallanbs2.jpg

Btw, it's a diesel Audi.

Last edited by sergeriver (2008-04-22 08:41:38)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard