Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6567|USA

Ataronchronon wrote:

Hmm, no that wouldn't work because even if you had a 100% efficient hydroelectric power station (impossible), you would still need more energy to pipe the water up than you could generate with hydroelectric power stations on the down runs.
correct, but it still saves energy, which is the best we can hope for in any real situation.
Laika
+75|5940
I'm not sure if it would save energy either, I don't care to look it up or anything but I would imagine that the water would lose more kinetic energy going through a turbine than it would gain going through a pump powered by the electricity the water generated by going through that turbine.
san4
The Mas
+311|6684|NYC, a place to live
It has to be a closed pipeline instead of an open canal because everyone would piss in it as it went by.

I know I would.
topthrill05
+125|6574|Rochester NY USA
If it's going to California, I might join ya.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6567|USA

Ataronchronon wrote:

I'm not sure if it would save energy either, I don't care to look it up or anything but I would imagine that the water would lose more kinetic energy going through a turbine than it would gain going through a pump powered by the electricity the water generated by going through that turbine.
no it definitely would save energy. you can't dissipate energy like that. the amount lost will equal the amount gained.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

By the time you foot the bill for the maintenance of that giant aqueduct, you might as well have used trucks. How about some of the southern states get their shit together and build reservoirs?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-04-21 19:46:59)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY

Ender2309 wrote:

no it definitely would save energy. you can't dissipate energy like that. the amount lost will equal the amount gained.
You could recoup some of the energy, but not anywhere near 100% of the energy spent pumping water up the mountain.  There are too many inefficiencies.

Regardless, the idea itself is impractical.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

By the time you foot the bill for the maintenance of that giant aqueduct, you might as well have used trucks. How about some of the southern states get their shit together and build reservoirs?
How dare you suggest intelligent forward thinking!

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-04-21 19:48:18)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
I think he was being facetious.

Nuclear desalinization (and power) makes a ton more sense, but unfortunately, environmentalists are too narrow-minded to see past their irrational loathing and paranoia of it.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-04-21 19:49:31)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6538|Texas - Bigger than France

SenorToenails wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

How dare you suggest intelligent forward thinking!
Alright....but time out.   There's lots of reservoirs.

An example:
You have the Colorado River Basin.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Colorado_watershed.png

Managed by the Colorado River Compact.  Aqueducts serve: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Tucson, San Diego, Phoenix, and much of southern Cali.  Has about seven dams on it, including the Hoover.

The Compact decides how much water each state gets.  Usually, this is not a problem.  However, due to the population growth in different areas, the amount of water available is rationed.  It used to be that cities like Phoenix and Vegas didn't need too much, but not anymore.  Plus you have California growing.

So here's the problem - the river isn't running as high as it once was because everyone is tapping into it.  And the West is getting drier.  Each state is apportioned it's own water (million acre feet/year), which used to not be a problem.  Say Utah didn't want to use their limit...so California just used it.  But as the demand grew for the other states (Phoenix and Vegas are examples of massive demand growth outside of California) there's less water available for the other states.

So the crappy reality is water availability in the West is only going to get worse.  The reserviors are like 50% or less fill already.  WHo knows what's going to happen.

So I'm not too sure what the Southern states can do, if you are referring to this area...its not good.
Laika
+75|5940

Ender2309 wrote:

Ataronchronon wrote:

The energy would be dissipated as it encountered inefficiencies in the turbine, wires, and pump. So basically, the system you describe will only take kinetic energy from the water, turn it into electrical, and then put less kinetic energy back into the system than it took out due to the inefficiencies involved in the whole process. The water would retain more energy if you just let it flow, which, because this aqueduct isn't feasible in the first place, would still not be enough to travel over the rocky mountains.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

Ataronchronon wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

Ataronchronon wrote:

The energy would be dissipated as it encountered inefficiencies in the turbine, wires, and pump. So basically, the system you describe will only take kinetic energy from the water, turn it into electrical, and then put less kinetic energy back into the system than it took out due to the inefficiencies involved in the whole process. The water would retain more energy if you just let it flow, which, because this aqueduct isn't feasible in the first place, would still not be enough to travel over the rocky mountains.
The Romans simply cut through the rock and made the Aqueduct water flow on a steady decline, but again you'd be wasting a lot of energy in cutting through all that rock in the first place if you wanted to give the water the best possible kinetic energy over such a distance.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Laika
+75|5940
That and there's the fact that the start point of this proposed aqueduct is lower than the end point.

Even then, the Romans used many smaller aqueducts for a smaller population. It just wouldn't be feasible to construct a single aqueduct large enough to carry all water the southwest needs.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
One mistake in over 50 years of using it for power and its demonized to the ground.
That and the fact there is still no solution for waste which will be dangerous for 10,000 years.

The energy would be dissipated as it encountered inefficiencies in the turbine, wires, and pump.
So use a siphon, duh!

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-04-22 02:52:17)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6523|Portland, OR USA

SenorToenails wrote:

ATG wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Nuclear desalination.  That would provide two sorely needed things-- electricity and water.
Is that possible?
Yes.  People are afraid of anything with 'nuclear' in the name though.
Abso-freaking-lutely.  Fusion reactors are the way to go for the near term.  Much less radioactive waste and the reaction itself has been going on for eons in the sun already.  H + H = He  <shrug>
BVC
+325|6691
When the aquaduct is dry you could race 1950s cars down it!
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY

PuckMercury wrote:

Abso-freaking-lutely.  Fusion reactors are the way to go for the near term.  Much less radioactive waste and the reaction itself has been going on for eons in the sun already.  H + H = He  <shrug>
In actuality, nuclear energy is the way to go in the short term.  Fusion can be the long term goal, but it has yet to create more energy than it takes in the lab.  And when it finally produces net energy, it will be a while before fusion reactors can become mainstream.

Dilbert_X wrote:

That and the fact there is still no solution for waste which will be dangerous for 10,000 years.
Much of the truly dangerous waste can be reprocessed by fast breeder reactors.  Yes, there will still be nuclear waste, but at least it's not the kind that gets stored in the body (like Iodine) and the half-lives of the products are around 100 years, not 100,000.  Yes, there is still some long-lived waste, but not the really dangerous kind.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard