{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6549|Florida
Hey everyone, I just thought I would post up a problem that Im having with my desktop PC and see if anyone has any ideas to help me narrow down the problem.  The PC worked fine before I left for my deployment, and worked fine up until about a month ago.  My neighbor had used my computer to download music since he does have one, and ironically, soon after, my PC started getting screwed up.  My guess is there is a virus that has completely jacked it up.  Now Im home, and Im pissed because Im having COD4 withdrawal, and cant play or do anything because the PC is screwed.  Heres whats up.....

1. Two days ago, the PC would load up to the desktop, then freeze, then crash.

2. Today, the PC will turn on, and it goes through boot process, once it starts the Windows XP logo it crashes and starts over.

3. I can enter the BIOS settings, and make changes, which I did to remove the floppy drive because during boot process it notated an error with it...so I removed it.

4. When I try to boot with the Windows CD, it reads it, and tells me "To boot from CD, press any key" - no matter how many keys I hit, it acts like the keyboard isnt working.....but I can use the keyboard to enter and navigate BIOS.

5. Ive tried booting into Safe Mode, but again when I get to that screen to select Safe Mode, the computer wont register that Im hitting keys on the keyboard.

Part of me leans towards it being a MOBO issue because of the keyboard stuff.....but thats only about 3% of me, the other 97% of me leans towards a dead HD.  Let me know what you think, if you have more questions ask, and I will answer.

Thanks for the help
**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6126|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Are you using a USB Keyboard, if so, try enabling Legacy USB Support in the Bios.
Otherwise I Dunno.
signa
~~~~~
+50|6699|Michigan, USA
I fixed a friends computer with a similar problem, turned out the mobo was dying.  he had problems with the usb keyboard working, boot errors, and when we finally could get into windows, it was so slow it was useless trying to do anything.  you could try not using usb and using a ps2 keyboard and see if that works.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6549|Florida
Ill give the keyboard a shot and see if it works.  Thanks for the input about the mobo.  Ill let yall know what happens with the keyboard.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard