CameronPoe
+2,925|6546
I'd like it explained to me because quite frankly I don't get it. I've seen some people speak of him extremely dismissively and disparangingly. He has more integrity and a greater sense of morality than most of his predecessors and successors. Please explain.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-04-18 04:08:14)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6518|Portland, OR USA
Honestly, I think that may be the reason in itself.  There was no fatal flaw really and therefore nothing to point to and ridicule.  We love to cut down our leaders.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6364|Kyiv, Ukraine
Reagan's campaign in '79-80.  This was the first time the religious right, the corporatists, the war party, and the libertarians joined forces so incredibly well to further each others interests.

As a by-product of this campaign, a certain "branding" occured wherein the Democratic candidates were basically demonized as being "weak effiminate elitist whiny girly-men" and the Republicans were branded as "salt-of-the-Earth marlboro cowboy everyman men".  Carter was possibly the first victim of this kind of branding, and it has been re-inforced with every telling of the tale.
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6635|Camoran's Paradise
Mostly the Iranian hostage crisis I believe.  That little debacle was trumped up to highlight his entire career.  Other than that, I can't find anything wrong with him.  Hell, he gave the soldiers a 17% pay raise if I'm not mistaken.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6364|Kyiv, Ukraine

Ganko_06 wrote:

Mostly the Iranian hostage crisis I believe.  That little debacle was trumped up to highlight his entire career.  Other than that, I can't find anything wrong with him.  Hell, he gave the soldiers a 17% pay raise if I'm not mistaken.
Clinton did the same thing with soldier pay raises and benefits trying to at least get Sergeants with families off food stamps...ironically one of the first things canned by Bush supporting the troops.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6619|IRELAND

Maybe he didn't start a war?
The same people who demonise him are probably the same people who think Bush Co. has done a great job in the middle east and strengthened the US economy. So I wouldn't loose much sleep over it Cam.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6520|Global Command
15% interest rates.
Gas lines.
Buffoonish response to Iran.
Mortgage crisis.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6546

ATG wrote:

15% interest rates.
Gas lines.
Mortgage crisis.
And gas lines were his fault why now?
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX
Interesting why everyone posting from outside the US like him, while the americans don't.  You guys like him, YOU elect him as your leader.  WE tried it and regretted it. 

Remember the Misery Index? http://www.miseryindex.us/indexbypresident.asp
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

CameronPoe wrote:

ATG wrote:

15% interest rates.
Gas lines.
Mortgage crisis.
You miss the point.  He was talking about the gas lines during his predidency.  There is nothing like that going on now.
https://www.aliciapatterson.org/APF0403/Donovan/Donovan02.jpg
https://www.projectbronco.com/History/78_79_History/gas_lines_01.jpg

Last edited by imortal (2008-04-18 06:52:37)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6385|The Gem Saloon

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

ATG wrote:

15% interest rates.
Gas lines.
Mortgage crisis.
You miss the point.  He was talking about the gas lines during his predidency.  There is nothing like that going on now.
like actual lines to wait for access to gas pumps, cam.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6533|Texas - Bigger than France
I can't really remember an ex-president that was universally loved.  Or a current president for that matter.  And I'm old.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6281|Éire
Doesn't he go around the world claiming that all these "evil" dictators, like democratically elected Hugo Chavez, aren't as evil as Bush and his buddies make out by actually observing the election processes in these countries?...Might have something to do with it. He also employs daring negotiating tactics like 'actually talking' with people like Fidel Castro and Kim Jong-Il.
ATG
Banned

CameronPoe wrote:

ATG wrote:

15% interest rates.
Gas lines.
Mortgage crisis.
He imposed price controls.

Oil companies cut down production because they were not able to but rape the consumer, like they are now.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6546

Parker wrote:

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Did that not have more to do with OPEC than Jimmy Carter? He isn't a magician ye know. The gas you buy today costs you vastly more than a couple of years ago both in dollar terms and in terms of American soldiers lives.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
I thought the reason for the gas lines would have been the Oil Embargo, wasn't that around the same time. I dunno I'm just using various dates off the top of my head and guessing they all fit together

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-04-18 06:55:00)

imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

CameronPoe wrote:

Parker wrote:

imortal wrote:

Did that not have more to do with OPEC than Jimmy Carter? He isn't a magician ye know. The gas you buy today costs you vastly more than a couple of years ago both in dollar terms and in terms of American soldiers lives.
But we associate that with him, and that is enough.  You asked us to explain it, not to justify it.

...actually, not in dollar terms.  When accounting for inflation, gas during the Gas Shortage reached about $5 a gallon.  In terms of american lives; keep it clean, Cameron.  There are other posts for you to vent your spleen about our "American Imperialism" on.

Last edited by imortal (2008-04-18 06:56:58)

Parker
isteal

CameronPoe wrote:

Parker wrote:

imortal wrote:

i know that, but the normal every day, god fearing american doesnt.

just like the Iran hostage deal....somehow that winds up on carters lap.
even though there WERENT SF aviators tasked to the operation (hell, 160th SOAR didnt even exist yet)....even though there were mechanical problems and crashes that limited the number of helicopters to five, instead of six (the minimum for Eagle Claw to have been successful).

the blame still gets placed on him......

edit for tard spelling.

Last edited by Parker (2008-04-18 07:01:13)

imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

Braddock wrote:

Doesn't he go around the world claiming that all these "evil" dictators, like democratically elected Hugo Chavez, aren't as evil as Bush and his buddies make out by actually observing the election processes in these countries?...Might have something to do with it. He also employs daring negotiating tactics like 'actually talking' with people like Fidel Castro and Kim Jong-Il.
...and that is also why we regard him as a joke.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6281|Éire

imortal wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Why because he actually takes the trouble to independently observe election processes in countries being accused of corruption and attempts dialogue with people before trying to start fights?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6546

imortal wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Carter brokered the Camp David peace accord between Egypt and Israel - two sworn enemies - he certainly is not a joke.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

He won the Nobel Peace Prize, which is certainly something I hope all Presidents (or future anyway) aspire for.

And those who don't like him, how can you stay mad at such a face as this?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Jimmy_Carter.jpg/169px-Jimmy_Carter.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Parker
isteal

TheAussieReaper wrote:

He won the Nobel Peace Prize, which is certainly something I hope all Presidents (or future anyway) aspire for.

And those who don't like him, how can you stay mad at such a face as this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … Carter.jpg
Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize also. the value of that award decreased to the worthiness of a paperweight.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6456|Melbourne - Home of Football

ATG wrote:

15% interest rates.
Gas lines.
Mortgage crisis.
You are hilarious, look what happened to the rest of the world at the time, there was this thing called the oil shock, right. Oh but it was all Jimmy Carter's fault, that explains it.
ATG
Banned

<BoTM>J_Aero wrote:

ATG wrote:

15% interest rates.
Gas lines.
Mortgage crisis.
You are hilarious, look what happened to the rest of the world at the time, there was this thing called the oil shock, right. Oh but it was all Jimmy Carter's fault, that explains it.
I wasn't talking about the world wide oil shock. I was talking about what happened in Merica. You're not hilarious, rather ignorant tbh.

The governments responce under Carter was to impose price controls.

Whenever the government jumps in to solve a problem it gets worse.

Which is why they shouldn't be talking about health care.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard