blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641
what should u tell the employer when they ask u how much do you want to get paid?
mikkel
+383|6597
However much you feel that you're worth.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6569
Thats a pretty difficult question to answer without further info.  Many factors influence pay scale.  Can you elaborate a bit?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6563|NYC / Hamburg

$100'000 per day
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641
k thx Ill karma all those who help  (out of karma now)

Last edited by blademaster (2008-04-17 12:16:25)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641

TC.Troy wrote:

Thats a pretty difficult question to answer without further info.  Many factors influence pay scale.  Can you elaborate a bit?
well its for an IT internship
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6523|Portland, OR USA

blademaster wrote:

what should u tell the employer when they ask u how much do you want to get paid?
"negotiable".  The answer is always "negotiable".

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic by the way - it's almost an expected response.

Last edited by PuckMercury (2008-04-17 12:20:07)

Ec0li
Vagina face
+167|5995|London ㋛

Depends on all the elements in the equation, if it's a first job that you've never done before, find out how much people generally get paid for doing it then just say that, no point shooting yourself in the foot and say a low price then find out later that they were willing to pay more, I dont think any employer would not employ you on the basis that you expect too much.

Or what phuckmecury said, I just know from my own experiences.

Last edited by Ec0li (2008-04-17 12:23:17)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641
should i  say "Current industry standard pay rate " or negotiable as u pointed out
Ec0li
Vagina face
+167|5995|London ㋛

Ohhh Good Luck, i just got my first job in IT, when ever anyone asked me (recruiters) I always stuck with between 14 and 16k, unless I knew the job were advertising for 18+.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641

Ec0li wrote:

Depends on all the elements in the equation, if it's a first job that you've never done before, find out how much people generally get paid for doing it then just say that, no point shooting yourself in the foot and say a low price then find out later that they were willing to pay more, I dont think any employer would not employ you on the basis that you expect too much.
good point I think avg is like 15$-18 an hour for internship
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641

Ec0li wrote:

Ohhh Good Luck, i just got my first job in IT, when ever anyone asked me (recruiters) I always stuck with between 14 and 16k, unless I knew the job were advertising for 18+.
hahaha thx man any other hints since you are in the IT industry Im about to get an internship, so any other hints are welcome.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6476|Somewhere else

find out, if possible, the average they offer.

Tell them what you prefer (within Reason) and finish it with "if that's not possible, I would be  fine with less than that if it wasn't too little".  Say it in a polite, enthusiastic voice.  Maybe even follow it with "what did you have in mind?"  In the same polite tone.
mikkel
+383|6597

blademaster wrote:

should i  say "Current industry standard pay rate " or negotiable as u pointed out
There's no "current industry standard pay rate" in private sector IT. Never say "x, but I can go down", because then you're going to go down. If they like what they see, they're going to suggest the kind of salary that they had in mind anyway.

Last edited by mikkel (2008-04-17 12:27:54)

doug1988
spank that azz.
+146|5854|Nibiru in a far away galaxy

blademaster wrote:

Open / negotiable , let them make you an offer , if you feel it's to low , express and ask if it is negotiable , also try this   http://www.payscale.com/mypayscale.aspx 

Last edited by doug1988 (2008-04-17 16:58:30)

millmax
Wanna fly over Oslo? PM me!
+18|6534|Norway
First of all, do some reseach about the availability of qualified IT personell in your area.
Then try to figure out why the are recruiting, and their level of desperation.
Now your need for the job comes inn.  How bad do you want it?  Can you afford to miss and then be successfully engaged in another company within weeks?  Nowadays the jobmarkets seems pretty good, so you should aim for the upper limit and then add another 10% or so for negotiations. Dont give them the impression that you are the most desperate one.  They will use it against you.
If they see you as interested in working with them, and a bit relaxed about the whole thing, your chances for a successful negotiation increases.
Go for $19 or even 20.  Settle for 18 or 17.5.

Good luck and best wishes;
-Another IT consultant

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard