Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire
...according to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Iran has been displaying its military power at a ceremony to mark the country's annual army day. Speaking at the parade, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran was the most powerful nation in the world. The country's strength was such that no major power would dare to challenge its security, he said.

Top officials have made much of Iran's achievements in being able to maintain and manufacture sophisticated military aircraft or other equipment despite US sanctions against it. President Ahmadinejad expressed his confidence in the strength of the country's armed forces. He said Iran was now so powerful that "none of the current world powers are capable of, and have the courage to, threaten the Iranian nation and its interests and security".

The president stressed that Iran's armed forces were purely defensive, but warned that they would respond strongly to any act of aggression.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7352654.stm

Discuss.

Last edited by Braddock (2008-04-17 10:44:20)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6406|'Murka

I lol'd.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY
OHH! OHH! Look at me!  I'm still here!

That's my first impression of this.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6218|Escea

Perhaps he'd like a grudge match to see who wins, lol.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6523|Portland, OR USA
I call bait and switch ...

I think things could get far worse for the US in Iran vs. Iraq if they go in with the same mindset as they did in Iraq.  Iraq was somewhat familiar territory and still recovering in some respects from our last shit storm.  If we half ass Iran ... some people aren't going to see their family anymore.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
lol
IRONCHEF
+385|6486|Northern California
I doubt we could "take" their country..would need real support from other countries.  They've got the army, the cause, the equipment, the home-court advantage, and oh yeah, they know all our capabilities and strategies.  They know how to use our weaknesses and strengths against us.  I wouldn't doubt they would send us packing with a way worse result than Vietnam was for us.

And yes, I'm serious.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

IRONCHEF wrote:

I doubt we could "take" their country..would need real support from other countries.  They've got the army, the cause, the equipment, the home-court advantage, and oh yeah, they know all our capabilities and strategies.  They know how to use our weaknesses and strengths against us.  I wouldn't doubt they would send us packing with a way worse result than Vietnam was for us.

And yes, I'm serious.
They also have a lot of our equipment

It really kinda pisses me off.  I can't believe it's gone.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6286|Éire

SenorToenails wrote:

OHH! OHH! Look at me!  I'm still here!

That's my first impression of this.
They're trying to big-up themselves because I think they are genuinely worried that the US are going to try something against them. Same with the nuclear shenanigans imo. I don't really blame them either given what happened to their neighbours on either side of them. Could you imagine the American mindset if there were belligerent forces from the one country in both Canada and Mexico?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6596|132 and Bush

Braddock they are also alienating themselves from their allies. Russia and China have been unusually critical of them lately.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
https://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/puffer-fish-puffed.jpg
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6538|Texas - Bigger than France

Braddock wrote:

...according to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Iran has been displaying its military power at a ceremony to mark the country's annual army day. Speaking at the parade, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran was the most powerful nation in the world. The country's strength was such that no major power would dare to challenge its security, he said.
lol - "challenge its security".  there hasn't been too much in that department for the past few years.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6441|The Land of Scott Walker
Oh no, how will we ever counter their superior air power.

Oh, that's right, with this.  Saegheh, meet Raptor.

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6732|Salt Lake City

The story of the FLDS raid in Texas was taking away all his air time.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
Oh I know the F-22 can kick the shit out of the F-14 ... but goddamn it I love the F-14.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6442|Chicago, IL

PuckMercury wrote:

Oh I know the F-22 can kick the shit out of the F-14 ... but goddamn it I love the F-14.
the Iranian f-14's don't have their avionics package installed, they don't actually fly.

They look pretty sitting in the hangar though.
IRONCHEF
+385|6486|Northern California
Who cares who has more planes or the best topgun pilots?  SAMs are what matters.  If they shoot down a plane, we adapt and get more careful, if they shoot down 10 planes, we restrict flights over more dangerous air space, they shoot down 20 planes...we stop flying and resume missile flights.  They never have to fly a plane.  I don't predict we'd take control of their airspace because we'd NEVER knock out their AA network.  No UAVs, no bombers, no fighters, no recon would last very long.

We'd just be chucking missiles from their borders..they'd nuke our carrier fleets...

Ok, I'm being a little too optimistic for them and I realize it.  I guess I'm just doing it because most people foolishly think they're some ragtag group of stone throwers with no organization to carry out realistic warfare.  They're most definitely not, despite the clown-like/monkey-like appearance of their leader and his psychotic speeches.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6442|Chicago, IL

IRONCHEF wrote:

Who cares who has more planes or the best topgun pilots?  SAMs are what matters.  If they shoot down a plane, we adapt and get more careful, if they shoot down 10 planes, we restrict flights over more dangerous air space, they shoot down 20 planes...we stop flying and resume missile flights.  They never have to fly a plane.  I don't predict we'd take control of their airspace because we'd NEVER knock out their AA network.  No UAVs, no bombers, no fighters, no recon would last very long.

We'd just be chucking missiles from their borders..they'd nuke our carrier fleets...

Ok, I'm being a little too optimistic for them and I realize it.  I guess I'm just doing it because most people foolishly think they're some ragtag group of stone throwers with no organization to carry out realistic warfare.  They're most definitely not, despite the clown-like/monkey-like appearance of their leader and his psychotic speeches.
lol SAM's...

those things are mediocre at best, especially 70's era soviet leftovers.

thousands of SAM's were fired during the Korean and Vietnam wars, and accounted for only a handfull of lost aircraft.

that, and our heavy bombers fly higher than the maximum altitude for SAM missiles and fighter patrols.

In the event of a war, Iran will get dominated in the skies.
PureFodder
+225|6281
The guy deserves an award for making world politics a more entertaining topic.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6406|'Murka

IRONCHEF wrote:

You are being WAY too optimistic about their IADS. It wouldn't necessarily be a cake-walk, but it wouldn't be that difficult to knock their IADS out, if not completely, then close enough that it doesn't matter.

And "the best topgun pilots" can kinematically defeat just about any SAM that Iran has right now.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6514|USA
i contend Iran's most powerful weapon is the stateless enemy they supply and direct.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6475|Somewhere else

I'd compare it to the iraq war 2.  We won't "secure" Iran.  But we'll whip the piss out of thier armed forces, even taking into consideration what Ironchef says about them being a real military power.

Can we afford it financially? no.  But that never stopped the U.S. before.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-04-17 14:38:13)

topthrill05
+125|6573|Rochester NY USA
But we really can't afford it this time.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6474|Communist Republic of CA, USA
The question is, if America were to go to war with Iran, would it be a "Kick the piss out of their Military, then leave" thing, or would we treat it more like OIF?  America would murder them in a conventional war, but I don't think we can afford a second Insurgency.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

America would murder them in a conventional war, but I don't think we can afford a second Insurgency.
Not without a second Hiroshima/Nagasaki.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard