FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Your priorities are interesting, Braddock...and quite telling, tbh.

Is the county prioritization normal for the Irish?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Your priorities are interesting, Braddock...and quite telling, tbh.

Is the county prioritization normal for the Irish?
It would be for a lot of Irish people because we have the GAA national leagues divided up by county and so their is a lot of tribalism in that regard. We also have different dialects in the Gaeilge language and so people gravitate towards their own dialect region. Don't get me wrong, I love my country and I hugely appreciate what the revolutionaries of 1916 fought and died for (and will hopefully live to see the day we re-unite with our brothers in the North who we sold out) and would be front and centre to defend my nation if anyone ever attempted an invasion...but I have perspective and do not lose myself in mindless chest thumping 'patriotism'.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Braddock wrote:

[...] would be front and centre to defend my nation if anyone ever attempted an invasion [...]
So would the Americans, the British, and more allies than could possibly fit inside your borders.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637
this looks interesting keep on arguing https://th146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/xyzero123/th_popcorn.gif
motherdear
+25|6643|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
the way i see it something like this should be banned by law to make sure it doesn't happen. I might not be born a american but i still got strong feelings about this subject.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

Braddock wrote:

Man, you guys take your flag so fucking seriously. Jeez, relax. Fair enough on the issue of burning, this is an explicit attack on the flag and what it represents (the country) but walking on it? Displaying it incorrectly? ...are you allowed to look at it sideways?
Agreed...  thankfully, there are plenty of Americans that aren't so crazy about the flag (like myself).  Those of us able to think for ourselves and rationally assess situations realize that a flag is just a flag....
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6457|Melbourne - Home of Football
That in my mind was a perfect example of art, it took something that exists in a usual sense, removed it from that position, placed it elsewhere and made people think and consider their actions by interacting with it in a new way.
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

Turquoise wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Man, you guys take your flag so fucking seriously. Jeez, relax. Fair enough on the issue of burning, this is an explicit attack on the flag and what it represents (the country) but walking on it? Displaying it incorrectly? ...are you allowed to look at it sideways?
Agreed...  thankfully, there are plenty of Americans that aren't so crazy about the flag (like myself).  Those of us able to think for ourselves and rationally assess situations realize that a flag is just a flag....
I, however, AM quite fanatical about the flag of my nation.  And while I support the detestable act of flag-burning, and free speech, I do not feel this was appropriate, for the primary reason that you are not supposed to let the flag hit the ground.

And a flag is not just a flag. A flag CAN be just a flag, but so much is put into a flag that it becomes a very symbol of the people that use it.  I have fought and bled with that flag on my arm.  I have stood stock still in formations and during parades holding those colors high.  I do not see people saluting the disney world flag whenever they visit.

I will freely admit that I am not objective, nor completely rational when it comes to this subject.  However, there are many like me; at least I can admit my foibles.  You do not have to understand it to aknowledge it.

EDIT:  That being said, and vented;  While I dislike this display in the extreme, I admit that it is a decent piece of art just for the discussion and thought provoking nature of the display.  But I will still be a very happy person when it is dismantled.  I did not say that it SHOULD be dismantled, just that I will not mourn its passing.

Last edited by imortal (2008-04-16 20:18:57)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

imortal wrote:

I, however, AM quite fanatical about the flag of my nation.  And while I support the detestable act of flag-burning, and free speech, I do not feel this was appropriate, for the primary reason that you are not supposed to let the flag hit the ground.

And a flag is not just a flag. A flag CAN be just a flag, but so much is put into a flag that it becomes a very symbol of the people that use it.  I have fought and bled with that flag on my arm.  I have stood stock still in formations and during parades holding those colors high.  I do not see people saluting the disney world flag whenever they visit.

I will freely admit that I am not objective, nor completely rational when it comes to this subject.  However, there are many like me; at least I can admit my foibles.  You do not have to understand it to aknowledge it.

EDIT:  That being said, and vented;  While I dislike this display in the extreme, I admit that it is a decent piece of art just for the discussion and thought provoking nature of the display.  But I will still be a very happy person when it is dismantled.  I did not say that it SHOULD be dismantled, just that I will not mourn its passing.
I know what you're saying, but I guess I'm the kind of person that has never been fond of tradition or patriotism.  I like the principles of freedom, but I feel no connection to symbols and only the vaguest connection to my nationality.  To me, freedom is a principle that transcends nations and symbols.

Now, don't get me wrong....  My grandfather was in the 82nd Airborne in WW2, and I respect what he did for this country, but it's not the flag that I feel is sacred....  it's his willingness to put his life on the line.

In effect, the flag is merely a symbol of what he fought for, but all that is truly sacred is the act itself of defending freedom.  This is not something that can be put in a flag or any other symbol.  It simply is....
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone
I would walk around it, but it has nothing (and I mean NOTHING) to do with it being a 'flag'. If there was a blank white sheet I would walk around it, or a fucking Mars bar wrapper I would step over it (not on it).

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

You guys take the flag business way too seriously.

imortal wrote:

Men have literally died to keep the colors from touching the ground in battle.

DrunkFace wrote:

I never understood Americas almost fanatical patriotism to a fucking flag, and quiet frankly it makes me sick.
Dying for a fucking flag is ludicrous. Dying for what it represents may not be. There is a big fucking difference, but I fear too many Americans have blurred the 2.
san4
The Mas
+311|6680|NYC, a place to live
Let me get this straight. She put American fags on the ground to see if people would walk on them?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6122|North Tonawanda, NY

san4 wrote:

Let me get this straight. She put American fags on the ground to see if people would walk on them?
Yea, but she had a hard time doing it.  That makes it OK, right?
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6698
I like hopping.  I'm always looking for an excuse to jump over things without looking weird.  So I would enjoy this very much.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6833|Cologne, Germany

well, looking at the reaction here and on the scene of the project, I think it can be considered a success already.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Braddock wrote:

Come on, you have to love Rex-Kwon-Do's American flag, martial arts pants!? No?
I think it's a difference in intent.  People burn the flag to dishonor it.  The person put flags on the ground to see how people would treat it.  People make a bench or pants, etc... not to dishonor it.  Who would buy an American flag bench if they weren't patriotic?  I wouldn't buy one regardless because I don't like the way it looks, but I think you see my point.

My stand on this:  I think it sucks that she put the flags on the ground.  But I'm not going to get mad about it.  Freedom of speech entitles her to do this, but that doesn't mean I have to like or approve of it.
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX
I think it is a bit tacky, in a typically misguided attempt to show the love of the american flag, they do that to it.  Of course unlesss there are 13 stripes in alternating red and white with a field of blue sshowing 50 stars, then it only resembles and american flag, and I do not feel so bad.  Yes, I do actually get that nit-picky sometimes.
PureFodder
+225|6277

SenorToenails wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Come on, you have to love Rex-Kwon-Do's American flag, martial arts pants!? No?
I think it's a difference in intent.  People burn the flag to dishonor it.  The person put flags on the ground to see how people would treat it.  People make a bench or pants, etc... not to dishonor it.  Who would buy an American flag bench if they weren't patriotic?  I wouldn't buy one regardless because I don't like the way it looks, but I think you see my point.

My stand on this:  I think it sucks that she put the flags on the ground.  But I'm not going to get mad about it.  Freedom of speech entitles her to do this, but that doesn't mean I have to like or approve of it.
Surely an obvious result of buying underwear with you flag on is that it will be used to scratch sweaty scrotum? Chances are that at some point you're going to get a little sweat, piss, shit and cum on them.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

PureFodder wrote:

Surely an obvious result of buying underwear with you flag on is that it will be used to scratch sweaty scrotum? Chances are that at some point you're going to get a little sweat, piss, shit and cum on them.
I never said I had to agree with it.  People can do what they want.

Also, I don't consider stars and stripes on underwear to be a flag.  I consider it to be stars and stripes on underwear.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard