major
+14|6451
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
Mega mergers always go so well for the consumer. 
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
Probably will end up being a good indicator that China has every right to be concerned about a possible BHP-Rio Tinto Merger. That would be a company with staggering power.

What's the level of regulation in the US regarding these kinds of merger, i.e. a competition 'watchdog'?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6488|USA

ATG wrote:

if they work...
i find mergers where big companies acquire smaller companies work the best.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York
NWA?

https://thirdrail.smorgasblog.com/archives/nwa2.jpg
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

ATG wrote:

if they work...
for who?
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6488|USA

ATG wrote:

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

ATG wrote:

if they work...
for who?
well, eventually for consumers.
it doesn't help anyone if the merge goes belly up and and/or suffers a major loss, and i'm pretty sure 7 out of 10 (big/big mergers) end up like this finding source

edit source:
US News and World Report (print edition, March 27, 2006). so even Kmarion might approve
no link - i have to type it, and you have to take my word for it:

this is just one section of the article:
It is no secret that the vast majority of mergers fail to deliver their intended benefits-about 70 percent, according to some estimates.  What's incredible, though, are the sheer number of executives who keep trying them anyway.  "everybody says they know the data but it's not going to happen to us." says Pfeffer.  The bankers come knocking, the PowerPoints go up, the smell of blood is in the water, and companies close their eyes and take their leaps of faith.  "if a doctor tells you that 70 percent of the time this is going to make things worse instead of better, and people keep doing it anyway, well,k that's crazy," says Sutton.

Most mergers fail to live up to expectations for one of three reasons: The companies are too similar in size (DaimlerChrysler), they are too geographically distant (SynOptics and Wellfleet Communications), or their cultural differences run too deep (AOL-TimeWarner).  HP's merger with Compaq in 2001 is an example of the perfect storm:  Two companies of roughly equal size, one in Silicon Valley and one in Houston, struggled mightily with their fundamentally different cultures.  (One example: HP employees used voice mail to communicate; Compaq used E-mail.  "so they literally couldn't talk to each other," says Sutton.) The result? A tailspin that resulted last year in the ousting of CEO Carly Fiorina.

Still, there are a few companies, like Cisco Systems, for example, that seem to be exceptions to this merger rule.  Since 1993, Cisco has acquired a total of 108 companies without a major hiccup.  Its secret?  Senior managers have looked at what went right and wrong in other companies' mergers-and used the evidence to their benefit.  They have avoided the pull of the big deal, focusing instead on smaller, targeted acquisitions.  They have learned to trust their instincts: "When you're going through the negotiation process, it's like dating," says Dan Scheinman, the company's senior VP of corporate development.  "if you don't like someone you're dating, getting married doesn't solve the problem."  Most important, the company practices what it preaches: "A lot of companies treat [mergers] as an event: 'We did it; we've got the press conference; we're done,"" he says.  "For us, we've got the acquisition, then the next step, then the next."  Evidence-based management seems to work: Nearly half of the 10,000 eployees Cisco has acquired in the past 12 years have stayed with the company.
...phew

double edit: /facepalm - i just realized i had this in a Word.  oh well - refined the 1337 typing skillz.

Last edited by CoronadoSEAL (2008-04-15 00:03:15)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC
word

yo bitchez STRAP YO FUCKIN AZZEZ IN TO YOU SEATS
WE FUCKIN LEAVING DIS JOINT YO
IF SHIT BE BOUNCING STAY IN YO SEAT
IF DIS PRESSURE BE SHIT, PUT YOU BITCH-AZZ MASK ON
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
I merge with who?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire
Why are 'Niggaz With Attitude' merging with an airline?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Spark wrote:

Probably will end up being a good indicator that China has every right to be concerned about a possible BHP-Rio Tinto Merger. That would be a company with staggering power.

What's the level of regulation in the US regarding these kinds of merger, i.e. a competition 'watchdog'?
Has to be cleared through several government agencies like the SEC and such to ensure they aren't violating anti-trust laws.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
chittydog
less busy
+586|6805|Kubra, Damn it!

Where does it say it was FINAL? All it says is that shareholders approved it.
major
+14|6451
Just read this in the AJC thought you guys might like it if you havent read it already.

Planes:
Delta + Northwest Planes = 975 planes
American - 655
United - 578
Lufthansa - 526
Southwest - 521
Skywest - 436
Air France - KLM - 400
Continental - 367
US Airways - 357

Traffic:
These figures represent revenue passenger-kilometers
Delta + Northwest - 275.80 Billion
American - 224.33 Billion
United - 188.68 Billion
Air France - 123.46 Billion
Continental - 122.71 Billion
British Airways - 114.90 Billion
Lufthansa - 114.67 Billion
Southwest - 108.94 Billion
Japan Air Lines - 89.31 Billion

Passengers: All numbers are in MILLION
Delta + Northwest - 129.5
American - 99.8
Southwest - 96.3
United - 69.3
Lufthansa - 51.2
Air France - 49.4
All Nippon - 49.2
JAL - 48.9
China Southern - 48.5

Sales: All are in Billion and in USD
Delta + Northwest - 37.1
Lufthansa - 33.7
American -22.9
United - 20.1
British Airways - 17.3
Continental 0 13.8
US Airways - 11.7
Southwest - 9.9

Workers:
Delta + Northwest - 78,300
American - 73,300
United - 52,400
Continental - 36,100
Southwest - 34,100
US Airways - 32,800
SkyWest - 10,100
JetBlue - 10,100
Alaska - 9,900
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Braddock wrote:

Have none of you ever heard of Northwest Airlines, or are you all being 'funny'?

IRONCHEF
+385|6461|Northern California

ghettoperson wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Have none of you ever heard of Northwest Airlines, or are you all being 'funny'?

Uh, you tell us "ghettoperson."  lol
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio

chittydog wrote:

Where does it say it was FINAL? All it says is that shareholders approved it.
funny thing is it is still not final....flight attendant union is still holding it up.  should be solved shortly however.
mikkel
+383|6571
I prefer Pepsi.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6488|USA
oh look, 2 years, 10 months ago i gave a shit on these forums.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard