Country/Western2%2% - 1
Classical4%4% - 2
Electro10%10% - 5
Hip-Hop or stuff like that12%12% - 6
Total: 48
Sondar
701SQ Commander
+0|6686
well atm im listening to Bullet For My Valentine, which i think are pretty good, other than that i listen to Metallica(been to concert:D), Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters(been to concert ),Muse(been to concert ), Fall Out Boy, Avenged Sevenfold, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Disturbed, Pantera, Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughan,  Racoon(dutch popband, good touching music), Bloodhoundgang(seen live on lowlands ).. and well... many more Slaythem... since u are so good at metal what kinda fan am i cuz i have no clue i just listen
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6704|cairns australia

Sondar wrote:

well atm im listening to Bullet For My Valentine, which i think are pretty good, other than that i listen to Metallica(been to concert:D), Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters(been to concert ),Muse(been to concert ), Fall Out Boy, Avenged Sevenfold, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Disturbed, Pantera, Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughan,  Racoon(dutch popband, good touching music), Bloodhoundgang(seen live on lowlands ).. and well... many more Slaythem... since u are so good at metal what kinda fan am i cuz i have no clue i just listen
srv what a legend.stevie ray vaughan is dead and we cant get jon bon jovi into a helicopter(denis leary)

Last edited by pokerplaya (2006-02-22 01:25:47)

Sondar
701SQ Commander
+0|6686
well who says that if people are dead u cant listen there music ? i also listen my bits of jimi once in a while
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6783
Three Six Mafia n Project Pat
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6704|cairns australia

Sondar wrote:

well who says that if people are dead u cant listen there music ? i also listen my bits of jimi once in a while
nothing but if bon jovi dies=no more new music:D
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6684|US
Classical!  You can't deny that classical music and war scenes just fit...Apocalypse Now...  Also, there are just so many kinds of classical.  There is always something that fits.

And classic rock is nice too.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2006-02-22 20:18:46)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Hey thanks for the videos Slaythem. Took fucken ages to get thanks to New Zealand's crappy broadband service, (due for a major upgrade soon as the government is getting pissed off at Telecom, a SOE which is pretty much keeping us back and charging us heaps for it.

First review, Children of Bordom. this is the first time I've heard them, so don't take this too harshly COB fans.
Okay, this is the kind of stuff that it's easy to like because of the harmonies on guitar, and the cool drums, but honestly, it wrecked it when the singer belched his piece into the mic. That's not what I like listening for long periods of time really, it's the kind of music that gives me ideas to write better music, but not something I would buy an album of.

Seconds review, Thrice - this I liked. A couple of things it really needs, is a singer who has a definitive voice. You know how you hear Billy Joe Armstrong or Brian Molko, or Dave Grohl and instantly know what you're listening to? That's the kind of thing that would make them better. The singer's good or course, he carries a tune well, and the lyrics are great - something I can imagine myself remembering.

Another thing - their sound is very clean, it's been heavily studio rendered, which means this band would probably be way better live. They don't need a clean sound, they should have done basicly a studio live performance, which some bands do to stop themselves sounding like computers. It dosn't need computer manipulation.

Anyway, I found some Shihad Video's chosen two. The first, "Alive", is a single that came out this time last year and it was a kind of 'fuck you' to comercialy viable rock which they were pretty much forced to do for two years before they changed their name back to Shihad from Pacifier. I found them on random sites because they're bloody hard to find.
http://www.videocodezone.com/videos/s/shihad/alive.html

The second one is the seconds single from the same album, called 'All the Young Facists'. I tried to find an older one but I couldn't. Still good though.

http://www.shihad.com/downloads/mov/shihad_atyf480.mov

One requires Realplayer, one requires Quicktime respectivly.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6627|California
Heres some more influencal metal I grew up with

Gamma- Ronnie Montrose smokes the guitar
Saxon- Wheels of Steel and Dallas 1pm great metal, And Biff Byford
UFO- OMG micheal Schenker anyone? remember "Lights Out"
KISS- Yes kiss Destroyer album, God of Thunder on Alive II sooooo metal

(Wait Iron Man just came on the rodio 107.7 the bone in cali)

Triumph- Allied Forces  these canadians were compaered to RUSH
RUSH- anthing up to and including 2112
Accept- Udo Dirkshnieder this little potato man had his Balls to the Wall
Man O War- wait Im sorry these meatballs should be erased from metal history
Riot- NOT quiet riot, ever heard Swords and Tequila
Scorpions- pronounced SCORE PEEE OOONS, see dont think the know the english language
Motorhead- older tunes from Bomber and Overkill
Spinal Tap- the monkees of metal, I still have the original album that came out with the movie
AC/DC- not metal but so hard rock they should be, for those about to rock and hells bell...maybe metal
Diamond Head- so good metallica stole there songs, Am I Evil and a few others (Check it out)
Budgie - another of metallicas influences, Breadfan
Ratt- the first album ONLY

Metal ON
asbad
+19|6690|Ireland
Industrial-

Rammstein
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6803

Tyferra wrote:

Hey thanks for the videos Slaythem. Took fucken ages to get thanks to New Zealand's crappy broadband service, (due for a major upgrade soon as the government is getting pissed off at Telecom, a SOE which is pretty much keeping us back and charging us heaps for it.

First review, Children of Bordom. this is the first time I've heard them, so don't take this too harshly COB fans.
Okay, this is the kind of stuff that it's easy to like because of the harmonies on guitar, and the cool drums, but honestly, it wrecked it when the singer belched his piece into the mic. That's not what I like listening for long periods of time really, it's the kind of music that gives me ideas to write better music, but not something I would buy an album of.

Seconds review, Thrice - this I liked. A couple of things it really needs, is a singer who has a definitive voice. You know how you hear Billy Joe Armstrong or Brian Molko, or Dave Grohl and instantly know what you're listening to? That's the kind of thing that would make them better. The singer's good or course, he carries a tune well, and the lyrics are great - something I can imagine myself remembering.

Another thing - their sound is very clean, it's been heavily studio rendered, which means this band would probably be way better live. They don't need a clean sound, they should have done basicly a studio live performance, which some bands do to stop themselves sounding like computers. It dosn't need computer manipulation.

Anyway, I found some Shihad Video's chosen two. The first, "Alive", is a single that came out this time last year and it was a kind of 'fuck you' to comercialy viable rock which they were pretty much forced to do for two years before they changed their name back to Shihad from Pacifier. I found them on random sites because they're bloody hard to find.
http://www.videocodezone.com/videos/s/shihad/alive.html

The second one is the seconds single from the same album, called 'All the Young Facists'. I tried to find an older one but I couldn't. Still good though.

http://www.shihad.com/downloads/mov/shihad_atyf480.mov

One requires Realplayer, one requires Quicktime respectivly.
Haha, Well I suppose you have to have a taste for the vocals of stuff like Children of Bodom

I've never actually heard somebody say that about Thrice's vocals... I think the opposite, really.
And you're right, they're like 20 times better live. but amazing either way. That's their new stuff. You should hear something from Artist In The Ambulance. <3 all of their CDs are amazing and they all have their own sound.

Oh, I forgot... Check these guys out:
http://www.blind-guardian.com/
Go to media, and then on the right click "sound and video" and check out some of the samples... I suggest The Bard's Song (In the Forest), And then there was Silence, Mirror Mirror, and Lost in the Twilight Hall.

I'll check out Shihad

Last edited by =[4th]=SlayThem (2006-02-23 18:04:16)

doxy
+74|6760|Nevis
war is my favorite, they aren't existing any more, but they are the only one i'm listening for a long time. i also like fun lovin' criminals and buffalo springfield. but most time i listen to war.

//EDIT
i did a null vote, because war is funk and flc are alternative

Last edited by doxy (2006-02-23 16:57:45)

gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6732
70's music and The Beatles
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6803

Sondar wrote:

Lol I'm not "so good at metal" I just have that kind of attitude sometimes.
I'd say you like what you like, and it doesn't really matter
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

OKay, I thought I might start a new thread and rave, but I counted and I have mentioned Shihad on 24 different threads so far, ond very often more than once.

So finally, after much talk and CD-listening, I had an opportunity to go to a Shihad gig. About fucking time too, with all the recent local Shihad gigs I have been indisposed for some reason or another, but finally in Orientation week at Victoria University, Shihad play! And for how much? $20 bucks, and Autozamm, (another awesome Kiwi band,) playing as well! Fucken sweet!

Wel Autozamm played under the unfortunate shadow of the main act, (you have no idea how big Shihad are here in their hometown, and how legendary their home shows are,) but still got a respectable mosh going by the end of the set, which I thought was pretty fucken good, and I must remember to buy their CD when I get some money.

As soon as they had left the stage the Shihad chant came up, but it was a good twenty minutes before Bass player Karl Kippenberger strode onto the stage with arms aloft, (Drummer Tom Larkin had been seen briefly before helping the roadies to set up his drums,) with Jon Toogood following, jumping behind his mike stand, while Tom Larkin and guitarist Phil Knight slid into their positions. Just seeing these guys who I had idolised for so long was fucking amazing, (yes, I am a rockhead, I'm in a band and that old cliche.)

https://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/05/26/shihad_wideweb__430x353.jpg
Jon Toogood. Fucking legend - with considerably shorter hair than he sports now.

They launched into one of their new songs, that hard hitting "Empty Shell" which immediatly got the crowd going fucking crazy, even though this was not one of their more known and popular songs, (The song just calls for jumping up and down and ramming into the guy infront of you repeatedly.)

Basicly, the whole set was ace, although I would have liked to have heard some of the older 1993 stuff. The older stuff went only as far back as their third, self titled one, ("Home Again" which is a Kiwi classic even though Dave fucking Dobbyn tried to write the new 'classic Kiwi coming home from big OE song' which was a soppy piece of crap.) and some stuff from the General Electric, like the title track itself, and, (my forum title,) "My Mind's Sedate." which it is so easy to go fucking crazy to. in the middle of it, while being slammed every which was jumping up and down screaming "My Mind's Sedate!" with the last of air from my por crushed lungs, I took my phone out of my pocket and tried a quick snapshot, (it didn't turn out well, and I almost lost my phone in the chaos so I didn't try again.)

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f266/Tyferra/shihadgigphonephoto.jpg
That's Jon Toogood again there... I think.. and someone's hand. You know if I reproduced this in oil paint people would probably consider it 'art.'

Needless to say, fucking awesome gig - best I've ever been to, (although there isn't too much in selection, even though the Foo Fighters are on that list,) and it was simply great finally seeing my idols live and kicking arse. Tom Larkin was a machine on drums, Karl Kippenberger was awesome, Phil Knight is a smooth technician, and Jon Toogood could fart in a bottle and people would love it.

if you ned any more proof that this was a great gig and Shihad kick way more arse than they are given credit for, just look at this.

-Later.

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f266/Tyferra/postshihad1.jpg
That is me post Shihad. Note, I am fucking drenched in sweat, not all of it mine, my T-shirt is clingy, (and got really cold outside so I had to buy a new one.) That is also after things calmed down a bit, so it was more extreme than that. Looks like I've been swimming with my cloathes on. Also note, that I couldn't hold the phone steady enough to take a decent picture. I was feeling the pain for days.

Last edited by Tyferra (2006-03-12 21:42:40)

[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
*ToRRo*cT|
Spanish Sniper-Wh0re
+199|6713|Malaga, EspaƱa
Well, my favorite band is ofcoure MorBidAngel who else listin to them?
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6679|Charlie One Alpha

Eboreus wrote:

I think that should be a multi-response poll however I'm open to many kinds of music as well (depending on mood)

Here are some of my favs: Dredg, A perfect Cycle, Procupine tree, Stone Sour, Finch, Verdena - that covers the vast rock section I'd say and for the (nu)jazz section we have: Gavin Randle, De-Phazz, St.Germaine, Kyoto Jazz Massive, Soel and so on and so on
Perfect Circle and Stone Sour FTW!

But besides rock/metal/nu-metal/whatever the fuck you 'true' rockers think it should be called,

I mostly listen to hiphop.

It just pisses me off that Metalheads are so anal about what style of metal something is:
"No that's not death-metal, it's NU-metal, YOU IDIOT."

You don't hear me going around yelling:
"No-no, that's not pimp-hiphop, its ghetto-hiphop!"
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard