RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6487|Somewhere else

So here goes...

I was 19, decided to live the workin man's life a little before hitting college.  I worked at Springfield Armory making guns (not as exciting as you'd think, but still kinda cool).   About a year into it, I get hit with a severe medical oh shit (read: Ameloblastoma).

Seven major surgeries later, and medical bills I promsied to never pay, I finally am able to do the college thing; at 26 years old.

Anyone else going to college and ONLY STARTING in thier mid late 20s?  It's very wierd.  I am living in Carbondale Illinois- SIU city.  While I love love love the college atmosphere (bars, painfully sexy womens), I feel incredibly detached from these people.  Am I now that creepy old dude?

What happened to Phish, Soundgarden, The Doors, Stone Temple Pilots?  Who are these people I hear on car stereos, while thinking "Turn your fucking car stereo DOWN DAMMIT!".Woah! when did I become the guy who bitches about car stereos.? it's not the noise. It's the music. Nickelback..pop rap... WTF?

Man, I was the youngest of a step and blood brother family.  I was allowed access to some insane INSANE parties.  Now, it seems I am walking into MTV videos, by merely walking into the bars.  Has the college life become bland, marketable, and a reflection of MTV's mechanations?  OR have I become that bitter aging "just don't get it" bastard I once loathed?  I guess i'm a tad bit too old for living like a 19 year old, but to compare things; they still seem bland from back in the early twenties years I had experienced LIVING IN A SMALL TOWN!!! damn it. Where's the balls of college that I once knew and rumored heard?  Where's the Hunter S Thompson "Buy the ticket, take the ride" shenanigens that was once the hallmark of college?

So, anyone in the same situation as me, or anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-04-07 16:21:53)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6461|The Twilight Zone
Ye I'm gonna go back in college in a year or two (when I'm 23 or 24). I wonder how its gonna be with when everybody will be so younger than me. But who cares, I might even find a virgin there and that not a a bad thing. Good luck to you!
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6656

26 isn't too bad. I'm just finishing up my first year of uni and I have several friends that are 24/26ish. I'm 19 btw. (since being at uni I feel really young saying that)
cablecopulate
+449|6745|Massachusetts.
HAW HAW! You're old!
RoosterCantrell
+399|6487|Somewhere else

.Sup wrote:

Ye I'm gonna go back in college in a year or two (when I'm 23 or 24). I wonder how its gonna be with when everybody will be so younger than me. But who cares, I might even find a virgin there and that not a a bad thing. Good luck to you!
Thanks.  Good luck to you as well.  You pretty much have to go colege or be doomed to mediocre/shit jobs.  after leaving Springfield, I loked into different jobs, only to find there isn't SHIT anywhere unless you have a bit of extra schooling.  It's neat being in the college "scene" but it's wierd being the old dude, If feel ike that creepy dude you see in bars, every time I go into one.

ghettoperson wrote:

26 isn't too bad. I'm just finishing up my first year of uni and I have several friends that are 24/26ish. I'm 19 btw. (since being at uni I feel really young saying that)
ha, well, you doin damn well then. (jealous) live that shit up man.  Not that I'm some old fart, but I feel like I've missed some good fun.

ahh well, things considered, being in college and getting fucked by my inevitable medical shit would have been worse than having a fistful of medical/disability insurance that I had to save my ass.

cablecopulate wrote:

HAW HAW! You're old!
You shut yer damn mouth you little peckersnot!!!!

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-04-07 16:13:17)

mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6243|Uk
im 16.....gutted

and by that i mean, you were right about Soundgarden
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5968|Washington DC
*Insert "education is a lifelong process" thing here*

Better late than never
RoosterCantrell
+399|6487|Somewhere else

mkxiii wrote:

im 16.....gutted

Oh..its so nice to see some peopel younger than me who know GOOD music.  Keep it alive my brother!

I have deemed, in my opinion, the current younger crowd, the "Nickelback Generation" Where half assed, marketable, corperate approved music is the standard now.  Nickelback is the embodiment of everything that is pathetic sad, shallow and rediculous in the current music world.

I pray that Rage Against the Machine comes back full force to set shit right.

I am always wary too though, that I am wrong, and out of touch, but after careful cosnideration, most the "new" music out, lacks real devotion, emotion, talent, and a desire to be artistic over what can sell.

HurricaИe wrote:

*Insert "education is a lifelong process" thing here*

Better late than never
Oh very true   It's jsut wierd stepping into these foreign waters.  A bit of culture shock, and nostalgia for the times I loved I guess

But I guess that's secondary,  an education for a better future FTW

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-04-07 16:20:18)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5968|Washington DC

RoosterCantrell wrote:

mkxiii wrote:

im 16.....gutted

Oh..its so nice to see some peopel younger than me who know GOOD music.  Keep it alive my brother!

I have deemed, in my opinion, the current younger crowd, the "Nickelback Generation" Where half assed, marketable, corperate approved music is the standard now.  Nickelback is the embodiment of everything that is pathetic sad, shallow and rediculous in the current music world.

I am always wary too though, that I am wrong, and out of touch, but after careful cosnideration, most the "new" music out, lacks real devotion, emotion, talent, and a desire to be artistic over what can sell.

I like a lot of 80s and 90s metal actually. Some newer metal as well, but good metal.

I just get annoyed when my friends who worship the Rolling Stones and the Beatles so much they'd suck their dicks think I'm musically retarded because I don't know every one of their songs. Yet somehow when I turn the tables and ask them to name the "classic" lineup of Megadeth, it's an illegitimate question because Megadeth "isn't famous enough" (read: they rock too damn hard for them).
RoosterCantrell
+399|6487|Somewhere else

HurricaИe wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

mkxiii wrote:

im 16.....gutted

I like a lot of 80s and 90s metal actually. Some newer metal as well, but good metal.

I just get annoyed when my friends who worship the Rolling Stones and the Beatles so much they'd suck their dicks think I'm musically retarded because I don't know every one of their songs. Yet somehow when I turn the tables and ask them to name the "classic" lineup of Megadeth, it's an illegitimate question because Megadeth "isn't famous enough" (read: they rock too damn hard for them).
hmmm. very true.  I guess I don't get out enough.  the people I see are MTVsheep, not that ithat is a sin, but it's like "Dammit! I've got good music right here!"   It just seems that alot of good times, for anybody, always have a soundtrack.  The one party, yeath THAT one, remeber the tunes on the radio?  Fucking Jimmy Buffet.  Or The doors, or a little Floyd.

Now that I think about it, I sohuld have named the thread "Music and College"  Because that's what I'm thinking really. (Mod?  ill edit OP- just a thought)

It's just that music seems more like a commercial bouncing off a Tv rather than the lighthouse that shined upon a defining moment, whether it be personal political, national etc.   

I guess I'm just saying I find little music, or culture for that matter, in the "college life"
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6525|USA
you'll fit right in when you buy all the freshman their booze...
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England
Nah, there's a few older people at my Uni. Nothing wrong really....
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6373|California
Nah, go for it, reach your goals, your dreams, doesn't matter how old you are, just do what you want, I'm going to a College or University when im 18,19, or 20.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6454|Chicago, IL
there's guys in their 40's on campus here, you're not too old.
Canadian_Sniper_X
+45|6496|Kamloops, BC Canada
I'm going to University... I'm 22... but started at 18. However, I have a friend who's 29... and another 24, 26 and 33 I believe.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6724|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
Umm...if you're looking to go to a conventional university, I wouldn't wait too much longer.  That being said, I see plenty of mid ot late 20 somethings around my college (usually veterans).
Ryan
+1,230|6850|Alberta, Canada

What if you were 83 years old and you went to class with a bunch of 20 year old tight bitches?
TrueMusou
+36|6168|United States Of Hamerica
It's not weird...lot of older people in Unis, you can easily get recognized as a Grad Student even if you aren't. If you party with the undergrads....that's a bit weird, but hell, it's uni.
2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6783
Bitches will like ya
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6137|North Tonawanda, NY
I went to undergrad with a guy who was 27 or 28.  He was a cool guy, and got along with the rest of us 21 and 22 year old people just fine.  Age isn't a barrier in friendship at that point.
buttersIRL
+17|6605
Are you going to college full time ? like doing the whole living in a campus, being broke, smoking heaps of grass ?

I'm 30 and I'm studying my computer science degree, but I go to college 3 nights a week, unfortunately I can't afford to give up working but then I wouldn't want to either.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6656

BTW, college is kinda different to school in the age respect. You can't really tell how old people are. I know some people that are 21 and look 18 and some 18 year olds that look much older.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6651
hell no.  Im 25 and Im in Jr college.  Doing the absolute best thing for yourself right now.
jsnipy
+3,276|6530|...

Never too late. I didn't go until 24. It's better to go when you know what you want to do anyway. I had friends go right out of high school not knowing what they wanted and taking bullshit courses. Some still work at the mall since they had no goals.

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-04-08 08:26:48)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6006|...
guy in my class in highschool is 24. He fits in just fine. (well you wouldn't say he'd be 24, small guy.)
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard