M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6230|Escea

Seems no matter how hard you try to do the right thing, it'll always come and bite you in the ass.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6647|Your moms bedroom
well, i always knew all (k maybe not all but most) flouresent bulbs contained some degree of mercury. It makes them last longer

Kinda makes this guy the mad hatter of stuntmen

topal63
. . .
+533|6725
Just drive by a landfill, what will you see? Flocks and flocks and flocks of birds scavenging the food waste... If you wonder how fast mercury can enter the environment consider this, if CFL's are disposed of in a normal/convenient way (with your everyday trash; and people will), this (landfill/bird's scavenging) is a simple example of the potential risks posed by mercury in CFL's.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-03-20 08:27:20)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

ATG wrote:

This was in the daughters light.
Guess she knocked it over.
/doomed.

http://i27.tinypic.com/11ie5hk.jpg
In all seriousness mercury is dangerous. Was that just now?
yup.

It may have sat broke for a few hours or days before I noticed it as my wife is sort of opposed to the whole effort thing sometimes.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Reciprocity wrote:

MSNBC wrote:

That was the wrong answer, according to the EPA. It offers a detailed, 11-step procedure you should follow: Air out the room for a quarter of an hour. Wear gloves. Double-bag the refuse. Use duct tape to lift the residue from a carpet. Don’t use a vacuum cleaner, as that will only spread the problem. The next time you vacuum the area, immediately dispose of the vacuum bag.
reading this reminded me of the Anal Retentive Chef.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/ … vechef.jpg
So I wasn't the only one thinking that...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

Everything contains mercury. LCDs are a great example.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6137|North Tonawanda, NY

Bertster7 wrote:

Everything contains mercury. LCDs are a great example.
Wow, I didn't know LCDs did.

EPA wrote:

Electronics:
Desktop liquid crystal display (LCD) monitors
Laptop LCD monitors
Laptop screen shutoffs
Backlight display screens

Purpose:
Mercury in screens and monitors: Visible light is produced when the mercury is electrically energized.

Mercury tilt switches in laptop screen shutoffs: When the laptop monitors are tilted, the mercury flows to either end cutting off the circuit on one end, while opening it on the other side. They often function as on/off switches.
The EPA has a list of home products that may contain mercury.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5968|Washington DC

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Who gives a fuck about green. It saves me (well not me, my dad, but same thing) money and lasts longer and is more efficient. I've been using the same fucking bulbs for years now. Infact I've never actually seen one of these bulbs go out yet. I have a feeling that they simply go on forever, silently mocking you as they slowly outlive you.
Bullshit! The CFLs in my kitchen burn out all the time. The only things I know for sure are long-lasting are LEDs.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England
No its not mines really have lasted long
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6452|The Land of Scott Walker

G3|Genius wrote:

ps--Drill in Anwar
Yes, then we can tell OPEC to get a new hobby.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
Ever since I've been told this I've always been a little raised-eyebrow over CFLs. I suppose the answer is to encourage proper disposal - maybe a rebate scheme, 50c for every bulb you dispose properly?

Better: get rid of the mercury.

But yes, mercury is everywhere. In terms of usability, it is unparalleled (because it's basically the only liquid at room temp that conducts well).
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
eaglecorps
shotguns
+23|6251|TEXAS
Think I'm just gonna use candles.
Spark
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS

G3|Genius wrote:

I switched to these bulbs without knowing at the time that the tree huggers championed them.

I have old fixtures in my 1 BR apartment that require max 60 watts, but that's not much light so I switched to these bad boys.  I had been putting 100 watt bulbs in the fixtures, but they were burning out every month.

Go figure, damn global warming alarmists.  What idiots.

Well, at least I can say, I get under 20 mpg on my truck, so I'm doing my part that way

ps--Drill in Anwar
No one - not even conservatives - like people who damage the planet out of spite.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6633|Sea to globally-cooled sea

Spark wrote:

G3|Genius wrote:

Well, at least I can say, I get under 20 mpg on my truck, so I'm doing my part that way
No one - not even conservatives - like people who damage the planet out of spite.
This is true.

And conservatives don't think I'm damaging the planet, so I'm O.K.

Last edited by G3|Genius (2008-03-23 04:07:02)

Spark
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
There is absolutely no reason for you to be trying to increase pollution.

There are hundreds of reasons why you shouldn't, GW being the least of them.

Pull your finger out.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Some people make comments that sound as if the are damaging the planet out of spite only to enjoy the hysteria and reaction they get out of the green police. It doesn't mean they don't care, or even that they haven't taken proactive action. If people would pay attention to little things - like the fact I have been using CFL's in my house for awhile now - they would notice most people do care about how we treat our environment (see previous page). I probably wouldn't have cfl's if I had toddlers running around though.

Some environmentalist get downright insulting when you suggest broadening your intellectual horizon, or to be more inclusive in your train of thought (like comparing your opinion to that of a dumb four year old). To suggest alternative ideas for debate does not mean lack of concern. Although it is often interpreted as that.

So it appears that we enter into a discussion around the sole purpose of of breaking each other down, rather than merging different viewpoints together and being constructive. The spite remarks are just random attempts to raise the stress levels of environmentalist who would address others in a demeaning manner. The whole debate has become counterproductive.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

Some people make comments that sound as if the are damaging the planet out of spite only to enjoy the hysteria and reaction they get out of the green police. It doesn't mean they don't care, or even that they haven't taken proactive action. If people would pay attention to little things - like the fact I have been using CFL's in my house for awhile now - they would notice most people do care about how we treat our environment (see previous page). I probably wouldn't have cfl's if I had toddlers running around though.

Some environmentalist get downright insulting when you suggest broadening your intellectual horizon, or to be more inclusive in your train of thought (like comparing your opinion to that of a dumb four year old). To suggest alternative ideas for debate does not mean lack of concern. Although it is often interpreted as that.

So it appears that we enter into a discussion around the sole purpose of of breaking each other down, rather than merging different viewpoints together and being constructive. The spite remarks are just random attempts to raise the stress levels of environmentalist who would address others in a demeaning manner. The whole debate has become counterproductive.
C'mon now. We argue because it's fun. Noobs step up all serious and shit and we oldsters watch them come and grow or go. We know where everybody stands.
Topics like this, green tech proved to be as bad or worse than the product it replaced make for the best debates. New views, or scientific arguments that fall outside the mainstream also are good. Just because 90% of environmental topics feel  recycled doesn't mean that we should stop talking about it.
Spark
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

C'mon now. We argue because it's fun. Noobs step up all serious and shit and we oldsters watch them come and grow or go. We know where everybody stands.
Topics like this, green tech proved to be as bad or worse than the product it replaced make for the best debates. New views, or scientific arguments that fall outside the mainstream also are good. Just because 90% of environmental topics feel  recycled doesn't mean that we should stop talking about it.
Geothermal turned out to be a superb bet for Iceland.

But then again, it's Iceland, with no natural resources, sitting on top of a hotspot as it is.
~ Richard Feynman
ghettoperson
+1,943|6656

I've heard that apparently the danger is being hugely over-hyped. The amount of mercury in them is *supposed* to be so minimal it really makes no difference. Haven't read the thread though, so don't know if anyone's mentioned this already.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6538|The lunar module
Want to dump less mercury into the environment? Use CFLs, not incandescents:

https://www.tva.gov/images/cfl_chart.gif

Mind you, buy quality ones that don't need to be changed every other year.
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6554|the best galaxy
Now I'm confused.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5968|Washington DC

apollo_fi wrote:

Want to dump less mercury into the environment? Use CFLs, not incandescents:

http://www.tva.gov/images/cfl_chart.gif

Mind you, buy quality ones that don't need to be changed every other year.
What about those who get their power from sources like nuclear, hydroelectric, solar etc?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6651
or hamster wheel
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6713
I had a lamp above my bed that used those lightbulbs.   I was reading one night and I bumped my head into the lamp, desroying 2 of the lightbulbs.  I brushed some of the white powder off and then went to sleep.  Does that mean I gotmercury poinsoning?
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6713

ATG wrote:

I challenge you to correctly ascertain each posters opinion on what should be done.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard