S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL

Stun_Gun wrote:

Presence wrote:

murphy's law will come into play here
^^
Agreed
Something bad can happen with what they are trying to do....
They can say all the odds they want to but just that little chance of something like killing everyone or creating a black hole isnt worth it....

The earth is bombarded by hundred of trillions of high energy particles moving at 99.99999% the speed of light every second, and no black holes are formed, in fact, nothing of any real significance occurs, the particles shatter and recombine, just as this accelerator will attempt to re-create.
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6749|the middle of nowhere

S.Lythberg wrote:

just as this accelerator will attempt to re-create.
there's your problem. And it's not like what I think should happen to the particle accelerator would actually have an effect on what will happen to it, so I personally don't really care.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6128|North Tonawanda, NY

colonelioan wrote:

What if it fails? Imagine, your hole life ending in a few moments....

The point of those machines is ok, but they must be 100% safe, you are playing with fire here.

I'm anxious about this.......

Like saying, humm we found a way to explain everything in the past with a new machine! But there is a small risk of screwing it completely and get erased from the universe! Crossroads: decide, I got for the safe side.
What if the brakes on my car fail?  I better not drive.
What if I trip over my shoelace, and break my neck?  I better not leave the house.
What if my hot water tank explodes, and I die?  I better not stay at home.

While all of these are technically possible, none of them is a reasonable fear.

"Oh noes!  We better shut down scientific research now!" is hardly an appropriate response.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone

colonelioan wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

colonelioan wrote:

Fuck, this is scary.... I'd rather like a Delta-Force team sent to destroy the facilitiy, even if you would create tensions, i'd rather not die in a horrible way in 2 minutes.......

Please USA, do it, destroy it. and you saved mankind, also ban the construction of those machines... Destroy all the blueprints.

This is too risky, use your common sense stupid scientists, hit the brakes now. Its better to be safe than sorry.
There are some things that we are not meant to know anyways.....

I'm really scared..
I hope to god you are kidding.  There is so much potential for knowledge with this new collider.  I hope it confirms the standard model, which is basically its goal.
What if it fails? Imagine, your hole life ending in a few moments....

The point of those machines is ok, but they must be 100% safe, you are playing with fire here.

I'm anxious about this.......

Like saying, humm we found a way to explain everything in the past with a new machine! But there is a small risk of screwing it completely and get erased from the universe! Crossroads: decide, I got for the safe side.
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!
Idiot...
I'm sorry but if you knew anything about science (which obviously the 'plaintiffs' don't) you would know that NOTHING that serious is going to or could happen. We have particle accelerators atm and they are used all the time, this is just a bigger version.

Miniature black holes... OMFG... do you even know what a black hole is?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

DrunkFace wrote:

Miniature black holes... OMFG... do you even know what a black hole is?
I bet he doesn't.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL

Darkhelmet wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

there's your problem. And it's not like what I think should happen to the particle accelerator would actually have an effect on what will happen to it, so I personally don't really care.
The worst that could happen with the physics is the particles collide with too little energy, and fail to fracture each other.

The accelerator cannot over-energize the particles, It is not possible to accelerate a mass over the speed of light in a non-inertial frame.

Worst case scenario, the rigging is not strong enough to support the massive magnetic force, and the apparatus explodes.
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6825|Lithuania
A hardon Collider you say?

https://www.freeavatarsonline.com/avatars/cartoons/the-simpsons-homer-thinking-100x100.png
https://bf3s.com/sigs/fe717ed1eb823c939460a42f15bced7dd0057c51.png
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6462|meh-land

S.Lythberg wrote:

Stun_Gun wrote:

Presence wrote:

^^
Agreed
They can say all the odds they want to but just that little chance of something like killing everyone or creating a black hole isnt worth it....

The earth is bombarded by hundred of trillions of high energy particles moving at 99.99999% the speed of light every second, and no black holes are formed, in fact, nothing of any real significance occurs, the particles shatter and recombine, just as this accelerator will attempt to re-create.
actually one of the theories they are hoping to deal with is the mini blackholes theory, that at any moment hundreds of atomic scale black holes are passing through us, but they are simply on too small of a scale to affect anything

nothing special tbh
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6518|Adelaide, South Australia

Presence wrote:

Thats exactly what I said in the old thread
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL

Blehm98 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Stun_Gun wrote:

^^
Agreed

actually one of the theories they are hoping to deal with is the mini blackholes theory, that at any moment hundreds of atomic scale black holes are passing through us, but they are simply on too small of a scale to affect anything

nothing special tbh
Certainly an interesting theory to test, and relating to what you said;

black holes are made of the same matter as you and me, just in a more compressed state (a single hypermassive particle), and exert the same gravitational force as larger body of the same mass.

Basically, a small black hole with the mass of a human would only have a gravitational force as strong as a human, and the potential black holes created would be many orders of magnitude smaller than that example.

A black hole with the mass of an atomic nucleus would have the gravitational force of an atomic nucleus (~0), MUCH too small to do anything to anything else (would make for some interesting chemistry though, as it would be a mathematically perfect ligand point charge)

In this case, fear = ignorance tbh
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6438|Brisbane, Australia

S.Lythberg wrote:

Darkhelmet wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

The worst that could happen with the physics is the particles collide with too little energy, and fail to fracture each other.

The accelerator cannot over-energize the particles, It is not possible to accelerate a mass over the speed of light in a non-inertial frame.

Worst case scenario, the rigging is not strong enough to support the massive magnetic force, and the apparatus explodes.
And they would have had to prove 100% that wouldnt happen before goverments spend billions on it.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6462|meh-land

S.Lythberg wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

nothing special tbh

black holes are made of the same matter as you and me, just in a more compressed state (a single hypermassive particle), and exert the same gravitational force as larger body of the same mass.

Basically, a small black hole with the mass of a human would only have a gravitational force as strong as a human, and the potential black holes created would be many orders of magnitude smaller than that example.

A black hole with the mass of an atomic nucleus would have the gravitational force of an atomic nucleus (~0), MUCH too small to do anything to anything else (would make for some interesting chemistry though, as it would be a mathematically perfect ligand point charge)

actually a black hole the size of an atom would have the mass of a large mountain...
a blackhole with the mass of a couple atoms would be even smaller than the size of the atoms compared to the mountain

that's the scale black holes we'd be dealing with in the LHC, just fyi...
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL

Blehm98 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Blehm98 wrote:

nothing special tbh

actually a black hole the size of an atom would have the mass of a large mountain...
a blackhole with the mass of a couple atoms would be even smaller than the size of the atoms compared to the mountain

that's the scale black holes we'd be dealing with in the LHC, just fyi...
Not possible, the material input in the LHC is only a few kilograms of ionized gas, allowing for a black hole weighing only a few kilograms, even if the kinetic energy is converted entirely into mass via the higgs particle, that would only add slightly more mass to the system, and create an extremely small black hole.

A black hole with the mass of a mountain would be within the range of large atomic nuclei, but it would have a noticeable gravitational field, and would have likely been detected by now (unless there is a uniform distribution of them throughout the universe)

Either way, I'm fascinated, not scared...
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
People thought the same things about RHIC before it opened too.  Do you know how people allayed their fears?  Solar particles have been bombarding the moon with energies many orders of magnitude larger than accelerators can produce.  Last I checked, the moon hasn't been converted into a black hole yet.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-03-29 00:07:16)

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6472|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Ehh... At first I read about CERN gerring a massive HARDON collider. What a way to start your morning and this be the first thing to read when you're still sleepy Oh come on sissies. What is the worst that could happen? An incident leading to this and that, or perhaps even... HIM!...

Na, but seriously I'm really eager to know the results of this kind of tests. Almost unlimited energy would help with plenty of exploration for example in space. And it would solve a lot of pollution problems. Unless there's going to be nuclear waste from the creating process, I don't know about that. But anyhoo, I have my muny on the smarter ladies and gentlemen at CERN. Go-go!
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

S.Lythberg wrote:

A black hole with the mass of a mountain would be within the range of large atomic nuclei, but it would have a noticeable gravitational field, and would have likely been detected by now (unless there is a uniform distribution of them throughout the universe)
Do you have a link to a paper or something to show how colliding gold nuclei could form a black hole with the mass of a mountain?
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6715|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
Maybe in the morning I'll find my astronomy text book and explain why the plaintifs in this case are horribly wrong, but it's just too late for me to do it now.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

There were the same concerns with a nuclear explosion. The fear was that the nuclear reaction would not cease, using the all matter that comes into contact with the explosion, and consume the Earth and then universe. They hit the button anyway. They'll do it again.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6462|meh-land

SenorToenails wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Do you have a link to a paper or something to show how colliding gold nuclei could form a black hole with the mass of a mountain?
he was simply reinforcing a stated fact, not saying anything

the LHC is using small rods around the size and shape of a pencil's graphite rod, just a bit skinnier, and shooting those together
any black hole's created would have a mass a tiny fraction of the rod's mass

tbh
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6729|Uhh... erm...

S.Lythberg wrote:

Not possible, the material input in the LHC is only a few kilograms of ionized gas, allowing for a black hole weighing only a few kilograms, even if the kinetic energy is converted entirely into mass via the Heggs particle, that would only add slightly more mass to the system, and create an extremely small black hole.

Fixed <3
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England

Undetected_Killer wrote:

I don't want to die.

hahaha shame

wait...

---

Seriously though, the chances of it happening are slim. Even if some sort of bad shit does happen, it wouldn't last long enough to actually do any damage.

Oooh shit, according to Wiki. That motherfucker will be 7 TeV...

And it's called a Particle Accelerator

Atom Smasher...

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-03-29 04:32:19)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL

Tetrino wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Not possible, the material input in the LHC is only a few kilograms of ionized gas, allowing for a black hole weighing only a few kilograms, even if the kinetic energy is converted entirely into mass via the Heggs particle, that would only add slightly more mass to the system, and create an extremely small black hole.

Fixed <3
I knew Heggs was behind all this!
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5960|Washington DC
I thought their main fear was that these mini black holes would be created, and that Hawking radiation would suddenly be not true and these mini black holes would swarm together and form a giant black hole? Bah, if it happens we won't notice it. See you all in hell
MECtallica
+73|6503|jalalabad
So say this creates a mini blackhole

how the fuck do we get rid of it? How do we even MOVE it?

Its fucking black mesa all over again!

Last edited by MECtallica (2008-03-29 09:53:48)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5960|Washington DC

MECtallica wrote:

So say this creates a mini blackhole

how the fuck do we get rid of it? How do we even MOVE it?

Its fucking black mesa all over again!
In theory, Hawking radiation means the black holes essentially decompose very quickly.

What they're scared of is if Hawking radiation proves to be, well, untrue.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard