xGj
Official lame Crysis fanboy.
+84|6376|Netherlands tbh
So, after posting in the 9800GTX specifications thread a few threads below I decided to just start a new thread to get more help and avoid derailing and confusion. I'll get straight to the points:

- I want to upgrade my PC
- I currently have one 8800GTX, a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard, and a Thermaltake Soprano case. These are going to be ugpraded.
- I am deciding if I want one single 9800GX2, which would be the only upgrade if I'd pick it (no need for PSU, mobo and case change).
- Or I want (I'm leaning a lot more towards this) a SLi 780i motherboard, and a bigger case and PSU. What do you guys recommend for a case (I guess it has to be able to house a SLi system, and two-three HDD's), and a PSU, and another 8800GTX so I SLi them.
- I am gonna sell my current mobo, case and PSU if I decide to buy new ones.
- And I could also sell this 8800GTX, and get 2X 8800GTS 512 in SLi, but I'm not sure if it'd perform better I actually don't think so.
So what do you guys recommend? I have a budget of about 560 euro's if I decide on keeping the case, mobo and PSU, because I'd get an 9800 card.. Or I have a budget of around 750/800 euro's if I sell the current stuff.
One more question: if I buy a new motherboard I will transfer my E6850 + Thermaltake V1 to it, do I need to remove the fan first, then the CPU, then put in the new mobo and apply new thermal paste (what should I clean the old one with?) and then the fan on it again? I never did anything with thermal paste before.
Please advise It will be much appreciated, and rewarded (karma?).. Thanks
xGj
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6157|what

I suggest another 8800GTX and Sli the pair, rather than buying a 9800 which at the moment are overpriced anyway.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
CrazeD
+368|6677|Maine
I would grab a 9800GX2 if you can.

You always want to replace thermal paste whenever you disturb it. Just get a coffee filter (because it is lint-free) and some rubbing alcohol and wipe the old grease off. It comes off really easily. And rubbing alcohol evaporates quickly, so that makes it easy too. Then just put a little thin line on the center of the CPU and put the HSF back on.
xGj
+84|6376|Netherlands tbh
A vertical or horizontal line? Or should I spread it out over the CPU? That's what I've read I should do. Thanks for the help so far
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6498|N. Ireland
A new layer of Thermal Paste definetely. Personally, I put a small blob on and get an old credit card and spread it evenly, however - a blob in the middle works also because when you put the fan down it will spread, but might not go over all of the CPU.
xGj
+84|6376|Netherlands tbh
Alright. I still am not convinced on the graphics card though.. Some sites say the 9800GX2 performs awesome in Crysis (that's the only game I'm interested in actually for upgrading. The rest runs fine ), others say the 8800GTX SLi outperforms it. But it will be a hell lot of a hassle to upgrade all that stuff.. sigh.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6202|Winland

Well, two G92 GTS' outperform the GX2 by quite a lot, so I think two GTX' would do the same.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
xGj
+84|6376|Netherlands tbh
I read otherwise
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6458|The Twilight Zone
I would sli 2 8800gtx. You will be able to cool them easily with low noise fans and if one card would fail you still have a backup one. If a gpu on the gx2 fails, whole card dies.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
xGj
+84|6376|Netherlands tbh
Yeh that's true but I don't really care for failsafety. If I put in another 8800GTX that'd be a lot of hassle (and extra money spent), and I really like the 9800GX2 too.. Plus it performs well I guess, and I have hope for better drivers. Every new driver I have tried so far with my 8800GTX has improved performance over the time. And, if I put in another 8800GTX that's 249 euros + a new motherboard = 200 euros + a new case = 190 euro's atleast (big towers eh) + a new PSU which is also 150-200... I have made up my mind and will just go for a single 9800GX2. Karma supply drop in all your area's Thx for the help.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6554|UK

xGj wrote:

Yeh that's true but I don't really care for failsafety. If I put in another 8800GTX that'd be a lot of hassle (and extra money spent), and I really like the 9800GX2 too.. Plus it performs well I guess, and I have hope for better drivers. Every new driver I have tried so far with my 8800GTX has improved performance over the time. And, if I put in another 8800GTX that's 249 euros + a new motherboard = 200 euros + a new case = 190 euro's atleast (big towers eh) + a new PSU which is also 150-200... I have made up my mind and will just go for a single 9800GX2. Karma supply drop in all your area's Thx for the help.
Exactly, the argument of how expensive a 9800GX2 is mute in your case.  The savings of buying an additional GTX would be off set (as you have said) by the cost of a new motherboard, PSU and cooling as well.

9800GX2 gets my vote, it is getting as much as a 65% performance boost over the 8800 Ultra in games, which is a similar improvement when you go from a single card to SLI.

I agree with you, 9800GX2

Martyn
xGj
+84|6376|Netherlands tbh
Thx for the help also Bell. Btw, do the length depth and width of the 9800GX2 vary a lot to the 8800GTX? I hope I can fit it in.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6554|UK

xGj wrote:

Thx for the help also Bell. Btw, do the length depth and width of the 9800GX2 vary a lot to the 8800GTX? I hope I can fit it in.
Whats your case?

And the 9800GX2 is 2cm longer (nearly an inch) than the 8800GTX.

9800: Note: This card is 295mm in length

8800: Note: This card is 275mm in length

N btw, your PSU has an 8 pin connector right?

Martyn

Edit:  I read your OP, should be alright

Last edited by Bell (2008-03-24 07:43:30)

xGj
+84|6376|Netherlands tbh
Ok thanks
CrazeD
+368|6677|Maine

kylef wrote:

A new layer of Thermal Paste definetely. Personally, I put a small blob on and get an old credit card and spread it evenly, however - a blob in the middle works also because when you put the fan down it will spread, but might not go over all of the CPU.
You don't have to cover the whole CPU, as long as it covers the cores in the center that's all that matters.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

CrazeD wrote:

kylef wrote:

You don't have to cover the whole CPU, as long as it covers the cores in the center that's all that matters.
I only use the fan to press it down. I always tend to put too much

Using stuff to spread it has only resulted in half of it sticking to the "spreading device" for me.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
CrazeD
+368|6677|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

kylef wrote:

Using stuff to spread it has only resulted in half of it sticking to the "spreading device" for me.
Yeah, if you spread it out then the force of the HSF might spread it too thin. Plus you waste it, because covering the corners of the IHS isn't going to help anything.
xGj
+84|6376|Netherlands tbh
So (whenever Im gonna do this) you actually just have to put a blob in the center and then push down the fan on it? Sounds easy :d
Volatile
+252|6709|Sextupling in Empire

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Well, two G92 GTS' outperform the GX2 by quite a lot, so I think two GTX' would do the same.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/Volatile_Squirrel/8800gtssli-fear.gif

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/Volatile_Squirrel/8800gtssli-wc.gif

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/Volatile_Squirrel/8800gtssli-crysis.gif

Source

I'm not sure how accurate these benchmarks are as the 9800gx2 performance in Crysis with AA enables seems to be a little high. Has anyone found any other benchmarks comparing the 8800gts to the 9800gx2?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Yeah, if you spread it out then the force of the HSF might spread it too thin. Plus you waste it, because covering the corners of the IHS isn't going to help anything.
Umm, too thin? Thermal grease is there to cover up the holes and unevenness of the heatsink, it can't be spread too thin, as that would mean metal contact, which is even better.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6554|UK

Volatile wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/ … i-fear.gif

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/ … sli-wc.gif

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/ … crysis.gif

Source

I'm not sure how accurate these benchmarks are as the 9800gx2 performance in Crysis with AA enables seems to be a little high. Has anyone found any other benchmarks comparing the 8800gts to the 9800gx2?
Looks about right to me.  Anyone wondering why World in conflict is quicker on the GTS is because the higher clocked GTS out does the slower (per core GX2) since that game doesnt support SLI.  Fairly consistent with the info I have been reading

Martyn
Volatile
+252|6709|Sextupling in Empire

Bell wrote:

Volatile wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/ … i-fear.gif

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/ … sli-wc.gif

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/ … crysis.gif

Source

Looks about right to me.  Anyone wondering why World in conflict is quicker on the GTS is because the higher clocked GTS out does the slower (per core GX2) since that game doesnt support SLI.  Fairly consistent with the info I have been reading

Martyn
Good. I'll know for sure though in a week or two when I finally get through step-up line at EVGA.
xGj
+84|6376|Netherlands tbh
I decided to wait out until I have a lot of more money.. Then I'll buy a totally new case, mobo and PSU + I'll see what I can do on the graphics part (which is what it's about).. 9800GX2 hasn't proven itself to me tho.. I'll just wait till the new chips generation. I'll probably also get watercooling by then..
Thanks for all your input people

Last edited by xGj (2008-03-26 12:16:44)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard