rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6567
Lets say you have an opinion that group "X" is evil and crazy. You also believe that they must be dealt with by force. Now lets say that the reality is that only a small fraction of group "X" are that way. .....now heres the hypothetical that I want to be discussed..... Is it still generalizing the group if that small fraction has much more power, influence, and control over the majority?
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6303|Bloomington Indiana
yes

youd be putting everyone in the same category, whereas this is far from the truth.

the smaller/ more powerful/crazy faction of said group is doing nothing but giving the larger/less powerful/normal group a bad name.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6549|Texas - Bigger than France
depends on whether there's hope for change.
geNius
..!.,
+144|6449|SoCal
Let's pretend you're not talking about Islam for one second.

I couldn't care less if you're a nice guy; if you're in the KKK, then you need to be dealt with by force.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6190|Ireland
hmmmm, what if the small minority cuts off peoples heads and the rest of they group just look away like nothing happened.

And IF the minority is so small, than how can they run whole schools, government, mosques.... ?  Lets pretend now that this group follows teachings that call for War, Hate, Intollerance, and Violence toward women and none members, but a good percentage doesn't act on those teaching while a good percent does, and a majority is somewhere in the middle.

ah screw it, you want to know what Islam is, look at the Middle East.  It is the area of the world filled by a Muslim Majority.  Now describe the Middle East.  OK, there you go, that is Islam.

Last edited by Lotta_Drool (2008-03-21 15:32:29)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6765|Argentina
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York

sergeriver wrote:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6567

geNius wrote:

I couldn't care less if you're a nice guy; if you're in the KKK, then you need to be dealt with by force.
OK lets do. The KKK was very popular in the USA. Eventually, it became a minority. It still had some influence in certain parts of the country up till recently. However, the MAJORITY of the people of the USA said fuck the KKK and ran them underground and made impossible to have any type of influence or power.

Now lets say that the majority did nothing and turned the other way. People outside the US would hear about what the KKK was doing to all the groups they hate and would ask themselves "If the majority doesn't like the KKK why don't they do something about, after all the KKK are such a small fraction of the population?"And this goes on over and over and over. The international community sees images of violence and hate created by such a small group day in and day out while the majority ignores or even sympathizes with the KKK. What image would you guys have of the US?

Last edited by rawls2 (2008-03-21 17:31:37)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6331|New Haven, CT
You should have saved time and added the condition "X=Muslims".
BVC
+325|6703
Depends on the situation.  If the moderate majority acts to reign in the extremist minority then it is unfair to generalise, but if they refuse to or just can't be bothered then thats a grey area.  Of course, if the moderate majority supports in principal the extremist minority, then its game time.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563
I don't know of an example where a group of crazy and evil people hold control over a majority of their kind. It would still be generalizing anyway. It would be like blaming all Irish people for the acts of the IRA just because Irish people might keep their mouths shut over IRA atrocities for fear of you and your entire family being taken into the mountains and beaten to death for grassing the IRA up.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-03-22 09:24:49)

BVC
+325|6703
If my experience of an hour ago is anything to go by, Muslims can out-drink Americans.

(*fat, fire, thrown on*)
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5968|Washington DC

geNius wrote:

Thing is, the very foundation of the KKK is hateful and racist. You don't join the KKK if you like black people.

Islam however is... much wider. You have moderate Islam which I don't give two shits about who practices it. Then you have extremist Islam which, well, is a problem as is anyone who practices it. And this applies to anyone who practices extremist ANYTHING.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina

rawls2 wrote:

Lets say you have an opinion that group "X" is evil and crazy. You also believe that they must be dealt with by force. Now lets say that the reality is that only a small fraction of group "X" are that way. .....now heres the hypothetical that I want to be discussed..... Is it still generalizing the group if that small fraction has much more power, influence, and control over the majority?
Depends...  articulation is important when discussing something of this nature.

For example...  there are some extremists in the Islamic World that have a lot of power.  This power is enough to convert some Muslims to extremism when countries like America create an environment conducive to hating the West.  To generalize that all Muslims are extremist is just stupid, but to recognize the dangers of extremists with power in the Islamic community is realistic.

This sort of thing is a recognition that radical minorities create a situation of "shades of grey."  It's not a black and white issue, no matter how much certain people would like to treat it that way.
mikkel
+383|6608

rawls2 wrote:

Why do you think that we were at war with the Iraqi government, and not the Iraqi population as a whole?
geNius
..!.,
+144|6449|SoCal

HurricaИe wrote:

geNius wrote:

Thing is, the very foundation of the KKK is hateful and racist. You don't join the KKK if you like black people.

Islam however is... much wider. You have moderate Islam which I don't give two shits about who practices it. Then you have extremist Islam which, well, is a problem as is anyone who practices it. And this applies to anyone who practices extremist ANYTHING.
Setting up shop in areas where you're generally unaccepted is more ignorant than the lack of tolerance these places display.

Why isn't there discussion and arguing over whites being discriminated against in South Central Los Angeles?  They know not to move there.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6729|Eastern PA

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6190|Ireland

Turquoise wrote:

rawls2 wrote:

Depends...  articulation is important when discussing something of this nature.

For example...  there are some extremists in the Islamic World that have a lot of power.  This power is enough to convert some Muslims to extremism when countries like America create an environment conducive to hating the West.  To generalize that all Muslims are extremist is just stupid, but to recognize the dangers of extremists with power in the Islamic community is realistic.

This sort of thing is a recognition that radical minorities create a situation of "shades of grey."  It's not a black and white issue, no matter how much certain people would like to treat it that way.
Don't confuse the kids on this forum with facts.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard