Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6647|Camoran's Paradise

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

OK, well processing power doubles every 18months, so in 9yrs it will increase by 64-fold - and that applies to both GPUs and CPUs - there's also a similar increase in available RAM, except that's a little slower.

So, games will be 64x as big, 64x as fancy, 6x4 as good.

If you want details, as others have said, AI and physics are where most of that extra horsepower will get spent.
Actually, that has only applied to date.  That may very well slow down in the near future.  Transistors and circuits have reached point where they are so small and so compacted, that they begin to interfere with one another.  I've seen some hopeful technology that will probably keep this from happening, but it is a definite possibility.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

nukchebi0 wrote:

6 fold=64.

I was only talking about the latter half of the post.
Note to self: don't post when tired.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

Ganko_06 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

OK, well processing power doubles every 18months, so in 9yrs it will increase by 64-fold - and that applies to both GPUs and CPUs - there's also a similar increase in available RAM, except that's a little slower.

If you want details, as others have said, AI and physics are where most of that extra horsepower will get spent.
Actually, that has only applied to date.  That may very well slow down in the near future.  Transistors and circuits have reached point where they are so small and so compacted, that they begin to interfere with one another.  I've seen some hopeful technology that will probably keep this from happening, but it is a definite possibility.
Yeah, that is a good point, however last figures I saw implied that we wouldn't reach that point in the next 10years.

Also, we have to consider the difference multi-processing makes - dual-core achieves a near 2x performance gain (in certain applications (one of which will increasingly be gaming)) over a single core (of same type) without utilising moores law.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6345|California

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Ganko_06 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Yeah, that is a good point, however last figures I saw implied that we wouldn't reach that point in the next 10years.

Also, we have to consider the difference multi-processing makes - dual-core achieves a near 2x performance gain (in certain applications (one of which will increasingly be gaming)) over a single core (of same type) without utilising moores law.
Very true. I think we will be using at least 16 core computers for an 'average-ly' nice computer. People already use 16-core computers (Apple towers) but it's mainly Pixar and DreamWorks and such for movies.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

Gaming with just your mind. (gogogogogo OCZ)
Fotorealistic graphics. (I think it was either nvidia or crysis makers who said this)
True physics.
Learning AI.

/end of my wishlist
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Nakamp
+25|6196|Czech Republic
Games rendered with ray tracing (technology used for films), Acer will come with their console (as they announced) and we will play Battlefield 4 : D
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6559|Brisbane, Aus

Half life 2, episode 3
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6390|New York
As it is now, graphics are well done. The big thing I think will be even more emphasis on realistic lighting effects. We already see it in some games, but I still feel we have a long way to go. I think that'll be the big move where games are heading graphically. Of course, we'll continue to see more and more polygons, resulting in an overall smoother experience.

There will probably be another resolution increase in HDTV's and consoles will support it.

And as others have said, improved AI and better physics.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6437
"Casual gaming" will take over. It's where the real money in the industry is and already we see hardcore PC fans turning to a 360 because they're tired of upgrading/crashes/patches/Windows. With consoles, piracy is near nothing compared to PCs (and comes with severe consequences such as a ban from XBL).  It's far easier to develop for rigid specs instead of PCs where you have to think about the idiots who still have Geforce 4s. It's easy to patch through XBL. The only thing I see that is doing a real justice to PC games and trying to unify them is steam. That being said, even Valve want a slice of the console pie.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum
I'm not really sure it's possible to say.

Did NES users honestly think that in a decade or two games as graphical as Crysis would be on the shelves?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Djbrown
+129|6498|Adelaide, Aussieland

Poseidon wrote:

Who will make a new console? How many franchises will live on from now until 2018? What types of new groundbreaking games will we have (as Portal did)? How far will multiplayer games advance? I'm just curious on everyone's thoughts on the future of the gaming industry.

Personally, I see EA coming out with a console. They're already fucktons rich, they might as well. I also expect the Half-Life series, GTA series and Call of Duty series to continue to be the most successful.

How do you see the future shaping out?

inb4sam"omgps45and6willownalllooooooooool"
if EA are rich... what does that make Blizzard

Half-life and CoD will never remain as successful as franchises like GTA, Mario, GT, MGS, FF etc. sure HL/CoD had their moment of glory but thats only short lived and already dead. i dont see any PC company that will dominate except for blizzard and EA, they both have enough money to last them at least another 9000 years

I hope Acer and Apple bring out a console, and both fail miserably. i mean honestly, they cant possibly target the wider audience, Nintendo's stranglehold on that is pretty much definitive. and most serious gamers have a PC and either an xbox of ps3. what could they possibly offer that doesnt already exist. greedy corporations need to diaf.

As for games, i see them slowly becoming nothing more than fan-services. no one tries to be original anymore, its always rehasing the same stupid design with some fancy new lighting effects. as far as im concerned, gamings best years are well behind us. Yeah i know this all sounds emo, but im pissed off at the vast majority of shit games shoved down our throats every year under the guise of flashy graphics with only <10 hours single player content and repetitive multiplayer gaming while getting rave reviews. Why is it recently i find myself playing GBA, n64, xbox and gamecube games when ive got a DS, PC and Wii to play.

honestly ask yourself, do you see yourself coming back to games like crysis / Cod4 / bf2 in 10 years time like you do with games like Zelda OoT, perfect dark etc. i know i sure as hell dont
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6350|Belfast
you can control games with your mind

and Virtual Reality betas are luanched with enormus sucess

Last edited by henno13 (2008-03-20 09:39:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard