elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6371|Leuven, Belgium
Just opened 28 tabs simultaneously in a new window in FF3b4. Loaded in less than a minute, hardly an lag. 121k memory used (and according to a devblog I read earlier, XP doesn't correctly show the memory usage anyway).
To be honest, I wouldn't really dare try that in FF2, especially memory-wise.

And the point about the Java applet... well, everyone knows Java isn't exactly good or memory friendly. And applets have always been horrible, nearly as bad, if not worse, as loading PDFs.
pj666
+16|6335|Sydney, Australia
I've never had a problem with Firefox. Until IE7, Firefox was always better than IE. Plus I'd still prefer to use open source than MS garbage.

Sometimes the problem is the web sites, which are designed to suit IE. Because MS would never write IE to make it hard to view with FF I am sure ....
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6371|Leuven, Belgium
Yes, IE has a very, very bad engine. Developers used to make websites so they would 'work' in IE, but ofcourse, it'd break in any proper browser.
InnerMonkey
+62|6688

elbekko wrote:

...worse, as loading PDFs.
OT I know, but when I rebuilt my XP box recently, I made it match the rest of my PCs in that it has no adobe software other than a flash plugin.  I've long thought that no Adobe product I have ever loaded was trouble free.  In fact, they each had at least one thing that seemed a deliberate attempt to counter the user's productivity. 

Flash is a necessary evil these days, but that's about all I can stand from Adobe.  Photoshop is not needed, and I refuse to add to the illusion that it's worth the price by pirating it.  I can do all the image editing I need in one of several other apps. 

Oh, and Acrobat is a steaming pile of shit.  I mean it, pure shit.  There is absolutely no reason for a document viewing (not even creating) app to perform so badly on modern hardware.  There are a handful or so of other apps that can outperform Acrobat while still supporting the PDF options used in all but .001% of PDF files.  Reader V.8 is much faster than previous versions, I'll agree on that, but it's still nowhere near as fast as some of the alternatives.

/currently using Sumatra for PDFs while I'm in a portable apps phase.  No editing, but how often is that really needed anyway?  First time I need that, I'll load something else.  Not holding my breath until then though.
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6528|Hungary
I are using Firefox and is good.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6660|Devon, England

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

IE7 > all

Simplicity at its best.

Works perfectly fine for me.
FireFox is just like IE7 in terms of user friendliness, however it also has alot of customization so if you aren't a tol'n00b you can make your internets waaaay better.

FF is the best browser. Opera is good I'll admit but FF is the best browser.
No, I like maximum browsing space and to do what I intend to do when I open a browser:

Browse the Internet.

IE7 does this perfectly. I've used Firefox, and didn't like it much. It's to chunky for my liking, and yes, I tried different skins.

Tried Opera too, and the had the same problem. I even tried an IE7 theme (that must have been made by someone who had never used IE7), still didn't make me as happy in the pants IE7 does.

Here's what it looks like for me:

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/FFLink13/IE7Screen.jpg

(ignore the Email in the search bar, was checking it for a friend)
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC
IE7 is OK... but I only like using the 64-bit version on my PC. And since those lazy fucks at Adobe haven't coded a 64-bit Flash player, I can't browse YouTube on it -_-
geNius
..!.,
+144|6412|SoCal

NooBesT wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

I prefer Opera over FF because FF is slower and takes 2 to 3 times the ram.

FF over IE because it can at lest be considered stable, whereas IE is one of the worst broadly used pieces of software (along with iTunes and MSN messenger)
BF2cc is the worst piece of shitware ever created.
Agree.  100%.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC

geNius wrote:

NooBesT wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

I prefer Opera over FF because FF is slower and takes 2 to 3 times the ram.

FF over IE because it can at lest be considered stable, whereas IE is one of the worst broadly used pieces of software (along with iTunes and MSN messenger)
BF2cc is the worst piece of shitware ever created.
Agree.  100%.
YES. BF2CC was the worst fucking thing to have ever been spawned. Actually, no.

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing was the ABSOLUTE WORST fucking thing to ever be released upon man kind.

edit: Also, Firefox has Adblock Plus.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-03-14 15:32:23)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6725|Scotland

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

IE7 > all

Simplicity at its best.

Works perfectly fine for me.
FireFox is just like IE7 in terms of user friendliness, however it also has alot of customization so if you aren't a tol'n00b you can make your internets waaaay better.

FF is the best browser. Opera is good I'll admit but FF is the best browser.
Lets get some facts straight. Right now, without counting betas, Opera is TECHNICALLY THE BEST BROWSER.
Why? Because it's renderer is the best out right now. It passes the ACID2 test and no other browser ( which isn't in beta ) can do that.
Don't be ignorant like every other idiot in this thread saying "FF > all" or "Opera sounds gay, I wont try it".
I use both, and Opera renders my pages so much better than FF2. I have tried FF3 and it renders the pages just as well as Opera, but Opera are one step ahead with 9.5, which includes most, if not all by June, of the CSS3 integration. If you don't know what CSS3 is and what ACID2 is, then get out of this fucking thread, because you are a waste of space in an argument.

Make your internets way better? It's a browser. You can get some "snazzy" plugins, but it's not something AMAZING. I keep my browser to its simplest and never really use plugins ( although I use the web dev plugin for FF because its highly useful; too bad Opera has a better equivalent, even though it's a tad more advanced ). I find it brilliant how so many people around here think they know so much about browsers and which are the best.

The fact is, you are sheep. You follow the crowd and think that whatever is used most is best. Whatever is commented on most is best, but then when you come to an argument over the best browser, the best thing you can say is "FF is best. End of". Wow, well done, thanks for the evidence.

I have never ever ever got an ad popping up on Opera, while on FF I get a few that pass the filter.

Use what you want to use, but when it comes to saying which one is best, come back with something constructive to say.
FFLink
There is.
Pass out the spoons.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC
Zimmer... do ya know if IE8 will really be standards compliant like Opera? I tried Opera some months ago and couldn't get used to it. IE8, if it was as good as Opera at rendering, would be fine... I'm used to both FF and IE7.

Also, how does Opera do on the Acid 3 test?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

I just opened 31 tabs in FF2.

All YouTube.
On an Athlon 1600+ with 1GB RAM.
It used 315000k RAM.

Truth to be told, it went slow, but it was 100% "browsable". Only thing that didn't wanna work properly was changing tabs, but that's due to the weak CPU. (Opening a new tab without any Flash objects would let me change tabs).

Oh, and Hurricane, Wolf Quest (Or something like that) is the worst software. By fucking far. Imagine a chat that is not blocking certain words (Like fuck, shit etc), but instead only allowing certain words. Scentences would look like this: "would run wood food" (I would run to the woods to get food) "I here" (I'm outta here) and so on. Not to mention that the graphics looking likeCS 1.6 would run at 5FPS on 8 series cards, half of the controls not working, the OBJECTIVE OF THE GAME not working, and so on, and so on...

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2008-03-14 15:55:48)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
"Which browser should I use?"
A guide by Lucien.

Ask yourself: Am I satisfied with my current browser? If so, don't change anything.

The end.

When Firefox was up and coming I couldnt help but facepalm at all the supposed reasons why I should get it. Only when Firefox had the advantage in tabs, add-ons, and themes did I consider the jump worth it. IE might be catching up again but I don't give two shits: I am satisfied with Firefox.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
InnerMonkey
+62|6688
FFLINK13:

Do you maximize your browser window?  I ask because I don't, and find that I can still have my 'links' bar across the top in any browser I've used.  I use it for those links I open frequently, which saves me from scouring a large bookmark/favorite list.  They don't even have complete names...just initials and a unique icon for each site. 

I also don't like that the stop, refresh, and home buttons are not grouped with the forward and back buttons (not to mention the giant address bar).  I mostly use the keyboard to perform these functions, but still, I like them to be together in case I happen to have my hand on the mouse already and opt to click w/it.  Do you prefer the IE7 layout for this?  Folks I've asked either don't care or dislike it.

Disclaimer:  I have a large WS monitor, so I realize my window management habits might be different.  I know they changed a lot when I went WS.

Last edited by InnerMonkey (2008-03-14 15:59:42)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I just opened 31 tabs in FF2.

All YouTube.
On an Athlon 1600+ with 1GB RAM.
It used 315000k RAM.

Truth to be told, it went slow, but it was 100% "browsable". Only thing that didn't wanna work properly was changing tabs, but that's due to the weak CPU. (Opening a new tab without any Flash objects would let me change tabs).

Oh, and Hurricane, Wolf Quest (Or something like that) is the worst software. By fucking far. Imagine a chat that is not blocking certain words (Like fuck, shit etc), but instead only allowing certain words. Scentences would look like this: "would run wood food" (I would run to the woods to get food) "I here" (I'm outta here) and so on. Not to mention that the graphics looking likeCS 1.6 would run at 5FPS on 8 series cards, half of the controls not working, the OBJECTIVE OF THE GAME not working, and so on, and so on...
Big Rigs is worse. You're supposed to be in this truck-racing thing, right? Well let's see

-Your opponent will never finish. You can start a match, go to bed, and when you wake up he'll be there before the finish line. He lets you win every time.
-One map doesn't even load
-If you drive into the mountains you either go through them or drive up with no loss in speed
-You brake instantly
-If you drive over a bridge you fall off and you can drive around the entire racing universe
-Random crashes
-When you finish a race, the screen proclaims "YOU'RE WINNER"

In short, Russia should never make a video game again.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6725|Scotland

HurricaИe wrote:

Zimmer... do ya know if IE8 will really be standards compliant like Opera? I tried Opera some months ago and couldn't get used to it. IE8, if it was as good as Opera at rendering, would be fine... I'm used to both FF and IE7.

Dude, of course I know. But as I said, no beta browsers here please.

No browser right now passes the ACID3 test. Not even beta browsers. FF fails on the 4th test, IE can't even do it right, and Opera fails on the 46th test.
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6371|Leuven, Belgium
Isn't Opera brilliant? I just gave it a whirl on Acid3. It crashed. Verson 9.26. FF3 got 66/100, which I have a feeling will still improve.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC

Zimmer wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Dude, of course I know. But as I said, no beta browsers here please.

No browser right now passes the ACID3 test. Not even beta browsers. FF fails on the 4th test, IE can't even do it right, and Opera fails on the 46th test.
I didn't ask if you knew about it lulz. I asked if you knew IF it will be as compliant as Opera.

And rofl @ how IE handles ACID2. Also, how do Webkit (Safari) browsers do on ACID3?
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6560|Reisterstown, MD

Why is it that when someone states their opinion, such as I think such and such is the best web browser, someone has to come along and spouts nonsensical drivel?  Seriously, Thomas made a thread with his opinion.  Others have stated their opinion on why this browser is good for them and this isn't as good...blah blah blah.  You don't necessarily have to bring in technical terms just to impress someone on the internet....IT'S YOUR OPINION.  Flaming someones opinion just because it doesn't mesh with yours is just immature and childish.

Last edited by killer21 (2008-03-14 16:08:03)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6725|Scotland

elbekko wrote:

Isn't Opera brilliant? I just gave it a whirl on Acid3. It crashed. Verson 9.26. FF3 got 66/100, which I have a feeling will still improve.
Wow, well done. *claps*.

Stop comparing FF3 to Opera 9.26. Your argument is not valid.

Also, yes, it crashes sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, yet again, stop comparing 2 browsers which cannot be compared.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC

killer21 wrote:

[b][color=green]Why is it that when someone states their opinion, such as I think such and such is the best web browser, someone has to come along and spouts nonsensical drivel?  Seriously, Thomas made a thread with his opinion.  Others have stated their opinion on why this browser is good for them and this isn't as good...blah blah blah.  You don't necessarily have to bring in technical terms just to impress someone on the internet....IT'S YOUR OPINION.
fail bbcode is fail
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6371|Leuven, Belgium
Safari 3.0.3: 38/100. And slow too.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6360

I don't get too many FireFox problems, but if it was up to me, I'd use Opera.  Unfortunately some of my programs don't work with Opera.
FFLink
There is.

InnerMonkey wrote:

FFLINK13:

Do you maximize your browser window?  I ask because I don't, and find that I can still have my 'links' bar across the top in any browser I've used.  I use it for those links I open frequently, which saves me from scouring a large bookmark/favorite list.  They don't even have complete names...just initials and a unique icon for each site. 

I also don't like that the stop, refresh, and home buttons are not grouped with the forward and back buttons (not to mention the giant address bar).  I mostly use the keyboard to perform these functions, but still, I like them to be together in case I happen to have my hand on the mouse already and opt to click w/it.  Do you prefer the IE7 layout for this?  Folks I've asked either don't care or dislike it.

Disclaimer:  I have a large WS monitor, so I realize my window management habits might be different.  I know they changed a lot when I went WS.
I don't usually have it maxed (I don't usually notice as long as the site fits on the page (length wise), but I maxed it for the screenshot.

As for the Refresh and back buttons, I usually do use the keyboard, but it doesn't bother me that they're not grouped together.

And I don't get what you mean about the links bar ^^

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard