Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6706|Alaska
I found this pretty interesting. Check it out

TIPS ON  PUMPING GAS

I don't know  what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in
California we are also paying higher, up to  $3.50 per gallon. But my line
of work is in petroleum for about 31 years  now, so here are some tricks to
get more of your money's worth for every  gallon..

Here at the  Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver
about 4 million gallons  in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is
diesel the next day is  jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades.
We have 34-storage  tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or  fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground
temperature  is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their
storage tanks  buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the
gasoline,  when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon
or in the  evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum
business,  the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel
and jet  fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important
role.

A 1-degree  rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the
service  stations do not have temperature compensation at the  pumps.

When you're  filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast
mode. If you  look you will see that the trigger has three (3)stages: low,
middle, and  high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby
minimizing  the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at
the pump  have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some
other  liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being
sucked  up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less
worth  for your money.

One of the  most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF
FULL or HALF  EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your
tank the less  air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster
than you can  imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating
roof. This roof  serves as zero clearance between the gas and the
atmosphere, so it  minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here
where I work,  every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that
every gallon  is actually the exact amount.

Another  reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage
tanks when  you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is
being  stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some
f the  dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get
the  most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE  TIPS WITH OTHERS!

WHERE TO  BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO  KNOW. READ ON

Gas rationing  in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might
even be good  for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should
return the  favor.

An interesting  thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you  fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the
coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas  companies that don't import
their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is  more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the
tank, I am  sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family,
and my  friends.

I thought it  might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are
the best to  buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern
oil.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6518|USA
lulz.  my grandpa sent me this in a FWD.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6569|Mountains of NC

thxs +1 to you
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
sexecuti0ner
What kinda guy are you are?
+148|6232

SEREMAKER wrote:

thxs +1 to you
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644
I paid $3.69 this morning, up two cents from last wednesday.  thats actually not that bad of a raise in price
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6418|Florida
bicycles ftw
IRONCHEF
+385|6491|Northern California
Nice hoax type email.  lol

And by the way, a tank underground is UNDERGROUND because the temperature is the same all day long, all seasons long..well, that and there's no room topside.  The reason gas prices rise in the summer, or hotter months is because there's more travel..which means it's pure corporate greed under the guise of "supply/demand."

Another good tip is to get out of your car and into mass transit.  It's not just for retards and criminals who lost their license!
Rubix-Cubes
+123|6656|UK
here is a cheaper way, steal a car then you dont have to pay for the gas, NO DONT THAT WAS A JOKE...

BTW is this a HOAX or FACT???
Volatile
+252|6705|Sextupling in Empire

Hmm...status is undetermined on SNOPES.

Anyone have an actual link to this?
_raab
+28|6234|Western Aust.

Dsp-CS- wrote:

Nothing is  more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the
tank, I am  sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family,
and my  friends.
lol. Who found this rediculous. The rest was nice and informative.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6392|Southern California
Here is a thread on an automotive forum I read on the same email.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/ … p?id=28886

GRM guys are pretty good source...General concensous seems to be most of these are pretty damn negligible.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6571|USA
the temperature stuff is mostly bullshit, and pumps only have one speed here. but the stuff about the tanker sounds meritable, but i don't know how to prove its correct. as well, its always better to fill your tank up when its not empty.
Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Dsp-CS- wrote:

One of the  most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF
FULL or HALF  EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your
tank the less  air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster
than you can  imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating
roof. This roof  serves as zero clearance between the gas and the
atmosphere, so it  minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here
where I work,  every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that
every gallon  is actually the exact amount.
modern vehicles, anything built after ~1990, apply a vacuum to the fuel tank to prevent evaporation and escape of gasoline fumes.  what does evaporate is sequestered in charcoal canisters.

this is why you will often see the check engine light illuminated when the gas cap is not properly installed or not functioning correctly.  your car's computer checks the vacuum integrity of your fuel system almost every day.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6230|NSW, Australia

IRONCHEF wrote:

And by the way, a tank underground is UNDERGROUND because the temperature is the same all day long, all seasons long..well, that and there's no room topside.  The reason gas prices rise in the summer, or hotter months is because there's more travel..which means it's pure corporate greed under the guise of "supply/demand."

Another good tip is to get out of your car and into mass transit.  It's not just for retards and criminals who lost their license!
umm no

it does get hotter under the ground the tanks arent very far under
Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Nappy wrote:

umm no

temperature would account for a negligable quantity of fuel.  Unless you're really into saving fractions of a cent per gallon, who gives a fuck?

Last edited by Reciprocity (2008-03-14 00:13:08)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone
These tips are going to save you fractions of a percent in fuel loses at most. Yet at the same time it tells you to fill your car up before its empty which can permanently add 30-100kg of weight to the car which will reduce performance by an actual noticeable amount.

The best solution is to not buy 3.5 tone trucks with 5 litre V8s when all you do is drive around suburbia.

Other more beneficial solutions include:
  • Manual transmission, which means a real manual with clutch, will save 10-20% on an automatic equivalent.
  • Carrying junk around. Extra weight in the car will reduce fuel economy, brakes and suspension wear and tear. It all adds up.
  • Tyres at the right pressure, under pressured tyres increase friction with the road increasing fuel consumption and increases wear on the tyres itself.
  • Clean and polished car. A clean car will have much lower air resistant to a dirty one, and a freshly polished car is even better. Will make a small difference all the time, but noticeable difference can be seen more with highway driving.
  • Don't use Air conditioning. A/C can increase fuel consumption by around 10%
  • Drive smoothly. The less hard accelerating and braking you do the less fuel you will use. Slow steady acceleration keeping your revs below 2/3k will increase fuel consumption.
  • Using higher octane fuels. This will increase you fuel efficiency and in many cases even tough it is more expensive per litre/gallon is less expensive per Km/mile.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2008-03-14 00:24:52)

Dsp-CS-
Claymore magnet
+98|6706|Alaska
yea i drive a tahoe that has a 5.7 v8 and gas isnt cheap
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6549|San Diego, CA, USA
Which Gas Stations should we buy from?  Exxon, Shell, BP, Arco, etc???
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6230|NSW, Australia

Reciprocity wrote:

Nappy wrote:

umm no

temperature would account for a negligable quantity of fuel.  Unless you're really into saving fractions of a cent per gallon, who gives a fuck?
i guess it all comes down to where you live it may save you a few cents where it gets REALLY REALLY hot or it might be something to not worry about.
CrazeD
+368|6673|Maine

IRONCHEF wrote:

Another reason it may cost different in the summer or winter is because the gas is different. In the winter the gas sometimes has additives to help with the cold.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6596|Michigan, USA

Harmor wrote:

Which Gas Stations should we buy from?  Exxon, Shell, BP, Arco, etc???
Dont buy exxon, fed up with that company.  Their CEO was the one who said he would not lower prices regardless of what measures were put in place, think last summer? or the summer before I think, either way...
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6674|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
From what I can tell I am the first UK person to post in here.

The UK is currently getting ripped right off with fuel prices (Car, Home, even food which is a kind of fuel).

I hope you don't get used to the prices we have over here as you will have blockades of Petrol Refinery's like we have but even that made no difference.

People have suggested in the past that if everyone in the UK didn't buy fuel for that one day then the companies would have to sit up and listen, that rubbish.  Its all to do with a price of a barrel of oil which is again at its highest ever.

Without sounding wrong I think you Americans have fuel at a pretty good price from what I hear, when compared to us.  Just keep your fingers crossed you don't get charged for it like we do in the near future.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6415|Finland

Oh my... gas is so freaking expensive here.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6324|Graz, Austria

DrunkFace wrote:

These tips are going to save you fractions of a percent in fuel loses at most. Yet at the same time it tells you to fill your car up before its empty which can permanently add 30-100kg of weight to the car which will reduce performance by an actual noticeable amount.

The best solution is to not buy 3.5 tone trucks with 5 litre V8s when all you do is drive around suburbia.

Other more beneficial solutions include:
  • Manual transmission, which means a real manual with clutch, will save 10-20% on an automatic equivalent.
  • Carrying junk around. Extra weight in the car will reduce fuel economy, brakes and suspension wear and tear. It all adds up.
  • Tyres at the right pressure, under pressured tyres increase friction with the road increasing fuel consumption and increases wear on the tyres itself.
  • Clean and polished car. A clean car will have much lower air resistant to a dirty one, and a freshly polished car is even better. Will make a small difference all the time, but noticeable difference can be seen more with highway driving.
  • Don't use Air conditioning. A/C can increase fuel consumption by around 10%
  • Drive smoothly. The less hard accelerating and braking you do the less fuel you will use. Slow steady acceleration keeping your revs below 2/3k will increase fuel consumption.
  • Using higher octane fuels. This will increase you fuel efficiency and in many cases even tough it is more expensive per litre/gallon is less expensive per Km/mile.
Your tips are actually much better.My mother once had a roof-mounted transport box installed and was too lazy to remove it. When she finally did after several months the fuel consumption dropped from 7 l/km to 5 l/km. More tips:
  • With a manual transmisson change to a higher gear early. Don't push the engine up to several thousand RPM. You can easily cruise around with 2000-3000 RPM. Especially with Diesel engines, as they have a higher torque at lower RPMs.
  • When approaching an intersection or a red light, push the clutch or switch to neutral and use your brake to slow down early. Don't drive with full speed and hit the brakes at the last meters when you have to stop anyway and wait the same time.
  • Turn off the engine when you stand still. It'll always save you fuel. Re-starting the engine does not consume more fuel.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard