OmniDeath
~
+726|6654

Well, I just finished building this computer:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=94805

...and am trying to install Windows Vista 64bit. I pop in the disk and go through the usual hoops of entering basic information and the cd key, then it starts the actual install. It says during the course of the installation it will need to periodically restart, but when it attempts the first restart, it fails. When the computer boots back up it gets to the "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" and it either:

a) if I wait it will start and then fail and restart again
or
b) I press a key and the disk runs, but not from where it left off... it wants to start the whole installation process again!

Any ideas?
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6609|Cheshire. UK
Whats the HD ??  SATA PATA..

is there a setting in the BIOS to set the HD to IDE mode....

I had to do that with an Asus board or vista would not see it
OmniDeath
~
+726|6654

joker3327 wrote:

Whats the HD ??  SATA PATA..

is there a setting in the BIOS to set the HD to IDE mode....

I had to do that with an Asus board or vista would not see it
See attached thread for detailed system specs.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6562|Scotland
Change the boot priority to HD first? Or am I missing something.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6609|Cheshire. UK

White-Fusion wrote:

He has too boot off the DVD to install first..

and the drive is a SATA try looking in the bios to set to IDE boot mode for install

Last edited by joker3327 (2008-03-05 08:01:17)

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6752|London

joker3327 wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

and the drive is a SATA try looking in the bios to set to IDE boot mode for install
Yeah but it's already booted from the DVD to install at that point (the first part), if he set the HD to be first on the priority list it should continue.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
OmniDeath
~
+726|6654

joker3327 wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

I can find no such settings
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6752|London

OmniDeath wrote:

joker3327 wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Did you look in the BIOS?

Normally it's Del at startup, just keep hitting it when it's turning on.
siciliano732
+202|6659|New York

OmniDeath wrote:

Well, I just finished building this computer:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=94805

...and am trying to install Windows Vista 64bit. I pop in the disk and go through the usual hoops of entering basic information and the cd key, then it starts the actual install. It says during the course of the installation it will need to periodically restart, but when it attempts the first restart, it fails. When the computer boots back up it gets to the "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" and it either:

a) if I wait it will start and then fail and restart again
or
b) I press a key and the disk runs, but not from where it left off... it wants to start the whole installation process again!

Any ideas?
thats very weird...i just did that exact install lastnight...and i had no problems. im sorry i cant help man.
OmniDeath
~
+726|6654

Dauntless wrote:

OmniDeath wrote:

joker3327 wrote:

Um, where else would I have looked? Please don't insult my intelligence.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6609|Cheshire. UK
Ok white fusion may have a point..... set the boot priority to boot off the HD first... restart the system with the DVD in the drive ...then keep pressing the F key for booting from DVD... F8 on some F12 on others...when you find it select boot from DVD ...let it run then when it restarts it will boot off the HD first..

I dont think he was insulting your intelligence ...just suggesting things to try...

Last edited by joker3327 (2008-03-05 08:17:10)

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6752|London

OmniDeath wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

OmniDeath wrote:

Um, where else would I have looked? Please don't insult my intelligence.
I dunno what bios you have, but just look around there without changing anything, theres not that many menus to look at, I think it's in the CMOS but I don't know off by heart.
OmniDeath
~
+726|6654

joker3327 wrote:

Ok white fusion may have a point..... set the boot priority to boot off the HD first... restart the system with the DVD in the drive ...then keep pressing the F key for booting from DVD... F8 on some F12 on others...when you find it select boot from DVD ...let it run then when it restarts it will boot off the HD first..

I dont think he was insulting your intelligence ...just suggesting things to try...
Doesn't work, says it failed to run some file... then forces me to restart, no longer gives the option to run from disc.

I found a EVGA's website what appears to be a common error where vista won't install, or crashes during install when 4GB of ram is present. They recommend installing with only two, then re-adding the ram. Going to try that now.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6609|Cheshire. UK

OmniDeath wrote:

joker3327 wrote:

Doesn't work, says it failed to run some file... then forces me to restart, no longer gives the option to run from disc.

I found a EVGA's website what appears to be a common error where vista won't install, or crashes during install when 4GB of ram is present. They recommend installing with only two, then re-adding the ram. Going to try that now.
Good point... Asus has that problem with some OCZ memory configurations..
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6562|Scotland
Let us know how you get on with the install with 2 gig of ram
OmniDeath
~
+726|6654

White-Fusion wrote:

It's currently in the final installation stages Thanks to everyone who helped
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6562|Scotland

OmniDeath wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Ahh nice one. Get the pics on the go with some 3D mark scores also!
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6695|West Yorkshire, U.K

OmniDeath wrote:

That worked for a friend of mine

result?
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6562|Scotland

Kurazoo wrote:

OmniDeath wrote:

That worked for a friend of mine

result?
Result = Working now
OmniDeath
~
+726|6654

White-Fusion wrote:

OmniDeath wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Ahh nice one. Get the pics on the go with some 3D mark scores also!
I'm getting there , I'll start uploading pics on my laptop while I install all the drivers and such.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6609|Cheshire. UK
Glad its worked... have you reinstalled the other 2 gig of ram?
OmniDeath
~
+726|6654

joker3327 wrote:

Glad its worked... have you reinstalled the other 2 gig of ram?
Yea, there is a patch Windows released that fixes the issue that you can run after the install (of Vista) before putting the rest in. But it's all together now and working great.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard