Braddock
Agitator
+916|6280|Éire
An Islamist-held town in southern Somalia has been hit by three missiles, fired by a US plane, local elders say.

A US official confirmed launching a strike against "suspected terrorists". The US bombed the area a year ago and residents say it was the same plane. Six people were killed in the air strikes on Dhoble town and 20 wounded.

So in the last few years the US has managed to take military action in Afghanistan, Iraq, Ethiopia and Somalia ...and that's just the operations we know about. Now instead of turning this into a US-bashing thread I'd rather just ask if normal Americans truly think that this kind of action makes any real difference to domestic security and if it's really worth your tax dollars picking one side over another in a shitty war-torn country that's half the world away? To me this kind of action only seems to secure US financial interests (in terms of supporting Governments sympathetic to US interests) and further divide the public in their attitudes towards the US. This is totally reminiscent of the cold war era when the US would support random Governments in the face of Communist 'threats' only this time the war isn't so cold ...people are dying, and while I shed no tears for dead terrorists I feel sympathy for the innocent victims of this 'war on terror'.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6143|what

Seriously 3 missiles into a Somalian villiage is total overkill, and is more likely to kill civilians than targets of any real value.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
PRLR
+5|5989|Northern Sweden
Go go go!
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6613|Camp XRay

don't harbor terrorist then.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6634
no different than spending billions on aid to countries that hate us anyways.  the tax dollars part.  I think thats a pretty big waste.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6831|Cologne, Germany

I wonder if the Somali government had any say in the decision...
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6120|North Tonawanda, NY

B.Schuss wrote:

I don't think it really matters.

Article wrote:

Somalia has not had an effective national government since 1991.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6634

B.Schuss wrote:

somalia is one of the few places in the world that have no government.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6280|Éire

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

no different than spending billions on aid to countries that hate us anyways.  the tax dollars part.  I think thats a pretty big waste.
I actually think the US should spend a bit more on itself and less on countries like these. It creates a market for these countries to become reliant on the US and be less reliant on themselves to sort out their own shit. The US only ever pleases half the populus at best in any case ...take Israel for example, the Israelis love ye but the Palestinians and half the Middle East want to declare holy war on ye. let them sort out there own shit I say.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6120|North Tonawanda, NY

Braddock wrote:

I actually think the US should spend a bit more on itself and less on countries like these.
You'll hear no argument from me.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6213|Escea

Braddock wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I actually think the US should spend a bit more on itself and less on countries like these. It creates a market for these countries to become reliant on the US and be less reliant on themselves to sort out their own shit. The US only ever pleases half the populus at best in any case ...take Israel for example, the Israelis love ye but the Palestinians and half the Middle East want to declare holy war on ye. let them sort out there own shit I say.
They tried that but it failed miserably.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Bernadictus
+1,055|6727

Since when do local eldars, in a god forsaken hole such as somalia, have the intelligence to recognize a US warplane, cruising at 'x' miles altitude.

Ah. Answer: But at least one unnamed senior US military official confirmed that it was an American operation against "terrorists".

@OP

Perhaps be more careful in creating a thread. How about reading the actual article before posting?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6280|Éire

Bernadictus wrote:

Since when do local eldars, in a god forsaken hole such as somalia, have the intelligence to recognize a US warplane, cruising at 'x' miles altitude.

Ah. Answer: But at least one unnamed senior US military official confirmed that it was an American operation against "terrorists".

@OP

Perhaps be more careful in creating a thread. How about reading the actual article before posting?
Are you saying it wasn't the US who did it? Are you saying the unnamed US military official doesn't exist? It's being reported as a US attack on numerous news sources here in Europe, not just the BBC. Perhaps you should start writing some strongly worded emails in retaliation for such misrepresentation of the facts?

Perhaps phrase your posts in such a way so that I can understand exactly what part of the OP you are disagreeing with?
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6568|Columbus, OH
AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!!!!

Somalia: where everyone is a bad guy

Last edited by loubot (2008-03-03 07:40:05)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6280|Éire

loubot wrote:

AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!!!!

Might want to put on the ol' flame retardant suit!

Last edited by Braddock (2008-03-03 07:41:49)

siciliano732
+202|6639|New York
...oh yes, and they can magically see that they were US planes. even if they were...

they shouldn't be letting terrorists hide out in their villages/country.

my care level is nonexistent.

loubot wrote:

AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!!!!

i giggled for creativity.

Last edited by siciliano732 (2008-03-03 09:55:55)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6611|London, England
Should the US really bother with that country. It's not even good enough for high-ranking terrorists to go to, I doubt anything major Terrorist-related will ever come out of that.

And if by some freak chance the US are doing this to give Somalia some hope, well that's just facepalm
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6634
as far as I know, the aircraft that bombed somalia last year was an AC130.  I might be wrong.  But, if it was, you can clearly tell what kind of aircraft it is from the ground.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6532|Texas - Bigger than France
Okay Braddock.  What's your stance on Darfur then?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6634

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Should the US really bother with that country. It's not even good enough for high-ranking terrorists to go to, I doubt anything major Terrorist-related will ever come out of that.

And if by some freak chance the US are doing this to give Somalia some hope, well that's just facepalm
well, the same thing thats going on in somalia is pretty similiar to the conditions that put the taliban in power in afghanistan, and gave a base of operations for AQ.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6280|Éire

siciliano732 wrote:

...oh yes, and they can magically see that they were US plains. even if they were...

What business of America's is it if there are supposed terrorists in Somalia? All this does is potentially inspire young Somalis to grow up and attack the country that once bombed the shit out of them. The people in that village (both the 'terrorists' and the civilian population) probably feel the same way towards the US as you feel towards Islamic extremists after 9-11. The US shouldn't bother with places like this, I mean what are they gonna do ...invade the US? Not in this lifetime.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6532|Texas - Bigger than France

Braddock wrote:

siciliano732 wrote:

...oh yes, and they can magically see that they were US plains. even if they were...

What business of America's is it if there are supposed terrorists in Somalia? All this does is potentially inspire young Somalis to grow up and attack the country that once bombed the shit out of them. The people in that village (both the 'terrorists' and the civilian population) probably feel the same way towards the US as you feel towards Islamic extremists after 9-11. The US shouldn't bother with places like this, I mean what are they gonna do ...invade the US? Not in this lifetime.
{HMS}_Sir_Del_Boy
+69|6699|th3 unkn0wn

Braddock wrote:

Bernadictus wrote:

@OP

Are you saying it wasn't the US who did it?
It could have been the Dutch for all we know. I suspect that Bernadictus knows more than he's letting on
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6280|Éire

Pug wrote:

I think it's a big shit storm of a mess but before we start talking about ill-fated attempts to go in and do something I think countries like China need to stop playing ball with the people in charge in Sudan. It sounds cruel but it's a basic fact that enough support for a cause must already exist before any external assistance can be expected to produce positive results. The Sudanese need to be prepared to stand up for themselves and try and tackle the shit that's going on in that country ...the problem with most of Africa is that it always gets help from outside and never learns to stand on it's own feet. There are smarter ways of helping countries than blowing the shit out of it or sending in troops with nice blue hats who aren't allowed to fire their guns.
siciliano732
+202|6639|New York
I believe this world is going to crap anyway and there is no way to stop it or save it.  Revelation.  Prophicy. I really believe it...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard