Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6102|Carnoustie, Scotland
Why doesn't it auto-render them? Would be much better if it did.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
Another facepalm-worthy thread by Funky_Finny

Sure, let's have fraps not only record but also convert raw video files while also playing a game.

https://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/LucienL/1201298424526.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

I have to agree with Lucien.

You know how much it lags when you record with Fraps, hmm?
Now, imagine that, plus Fraps using all available CPU power to compress the films.

Since it's live recording in an already resource-heavy envoirement, it'd simply use way too much resources to compress the files directly.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6459|Gogledd Cymru

because they are lossless avi files.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6496|Milkystania, yurop
Its called fraps, so when u fap then it comes out as fraps when ur fapping
Funky_Finny
Banned
Meh
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)
Actually, lucien, freezer and sherif are all wrong.

Fraps uses what is known as 'wide-bits' - which take up approximately 2.45x as much space as normal bits.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Fraps uses what is known as 'wide-bits' - which take up approximately 2.45x as much space as normal bits.
I thought it used its own shitty FPS1 compression.
cablecopulate
+449|6708|Massachusetts.
Don't record sound if you don't want the bigger files. They'll still be big, but they will be smaller than with sound.

Also, I've found that the more HD space you have available, the less lag you get. I can record at 50fps (maybe more, but I usually record between 30-50) with no lag if I have plenty of free space.

Last edited by cablecopulate (2008-03-01 06:09:56)

killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6561|Reisterstown, MD

That is why you use programs like Windows Movie Maker to compress the file.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

That may also be true, but Fraps still doesn't compress the files
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
cablecopulate
+449|6708|Massachusetts.

killer21 wrote:

That is why you use programs like Windows Movie Maker to compress the file.
a) Yeah, if you want an inferior final product.

b) What does compressing the file in wmm have to do with fraps making large files originally? he's not asking a way to make them smaller.

Last edited by cablecopulate (2008-03-01 06:39:25)

prototype
+52|6281
what is this "FRAPS" I keep hearing about?

It records your game like battle recorder but it lets you add,change views and angles?

does it make it hard to play a game since it uses so much CPU?

How hard is it to use?

Last edited by prototype (2008-03-01 06:52:08)

cablecopulate
+449|6708|Massachusetts.
Fraps just lets you record your game as it's happening. What you see, it records.

edit: http://www.fraps.com

Last edited by cablecopulate (2008-03-01 06:55:28)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

prototype wrote:

what is this"FRAPS" I keep hearing about?
http://www.fraps.com/

prototype wrote:

It records your game like battle recorder but it lets you add,change views and angles?
It records your game, like battle recorder, but it doesn't let you add/change views and angles - it just records what is displayed on screen.

prototype wrote:

does it make it hard to play a game since it uses so much CPU?
It uses some CPU resources to do it's thing, so, yes, it makes the game slower, and, therefor, harder.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-03-01 06:55:13)

killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6561|Reisterstown, MD

cablecopulate wrote:

a) Yeah, if you want an inferior final product.

b) What does compressing the file in wmm have to do with fraps making large files originally? he's not asking a way to make them smaller.
Not everyone can afford or has the ability to get Sony Vegas.  I happen to have both and whenever I do a movie, I use Vegas.  However, WMM is easier to use and to compress the large files such as Fraps.  I know he didn't ask for a way to make it smaller...I was simply saying that there are ways to making it smaller.  kthx.

Last edited by killer21 (2008-03-01 07:14:02)

InnerMonkey
+62|6688
It took less than 15 seconds to find this in the fraps help:

Why is the AVI movie generated by Fraps so big? How can I reduce the size?

The filesize is big because there isn’t enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. Once you have finished capturing you should convert the saved AVI into one of the popular compressed movie formats such as mpeg or divx. Recommended programs for doing this are tmpgenc (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder), and VirtualDub.
Guessing from comments and the actual question itself, tmpgenc may be too complicated for you if you're unwilling to research some on your own. You might want to stick with MS movie maker or whatever else you may be comfortable with.  Maybe Nero Recode (it's actually pretty good).
cablecopulate
+449|6708|Massachusetts.
Actually, everyone does have the ability to get vegas, kthx.
InnerMonkey
+62|6688
First, I fully understand you didn't recommend Sony Vegas.

Vegas is a pretty decent program, but it is not especially user friendly.  I would never recommend it for casual video editors.  The overwhelming majority of folks need/want a point and click solution, and Vegas is not that.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6519|UK

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Lmao, even if it's not the case, that was some epic ownage lol!  

YOUR ALL WRONG DAMMIT!

Martyn
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

I don't get this thread. Everyone complains that FRAPS makes everything run slowly while recording, then they complain that the files are too big and absurdly claim that they are not compressed. I don't know if any of you realise how big uncompressed video files are, but they are fucking large. It's quite easy to work out.

1280x1024 (for example) = 1310720
1310720 x 32 = 41943040
41943040 x 60 (or your average FPS) = 2516582400
2516582400/8 = 314572800 Bytes = 300MB/s

300MB per second of footage. Of course it's compressed. What do you want? Full on MPEG4 object based compression? Those sorts of highly sophisticated compression techniques use a LOT of processing power. Not the sort of thing you want to do when running a game.

Now stop complaining that it isn't compressed. It's as compressed as they can manage and even with it the way it is there are people who complain about the lag when recording, if that where even worse you'd have more complaints about that. Stop complaining, it's a simple software based solution, when to do it properly you'd need a more expensive hardware based solution. As is, it is a fine line between lagging too much and having files that are too large.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

Bell wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Lmao, even if it's not the case, that was some epic ownage lol!  

YOUR ALL WRONG DAMMIT!

Martyn

Sorry. Time to own up - if anyone believed me, consider it an early april-fools joke.

Fraps DOESN'T use 'wide-bits' - there's no such thing as a 'wide-bit'.
ReTox
+100|6469|State of RETOXification
Fraps is easy to work with you just need a large amount of free space and the right tools.  I just added a tutorial to the Graphics forum on Fraps:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=95044

Maybe can help.
Funky_Finny
Banned
That's the third "ur stupid" karma I've received, who's doing that?
Own up..
Defiance
+438|6641

Edit: Fuck I feel stupid. Good joke Scorp, though I was in the process of calling you out on it.
Shame on me for not reading the thread, BS meter went off early.

Last edited by Defiance (2008-03-01 14:09:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard