sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
That's because the guy was born before 1776.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

*nods* Times change, and occasionally, so must the Constitution.
Changing the constitution to accomodate an immediate need of a single individual seems like a bad idea. Changing the constitution should only be relevant when the aim is to better the future, or when the need is imminently critical to the nation as a whole.
I've always felt this way.  Just because someone is foreign born, it shouldn't mean they can't run for an office.  I don't even really like McCain and won't be voting for him, but I still would prefer this law changed.
Foreign born people can run for office...just not President.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
So, technically he can't run for President because he wasn't born on US soil.

So, now what?
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Mek-Izzle wrote:

So, technically he can't run for President because he wasn't born on US soil.

So, now what?
That's what the debate is about. The claim that he can't run for President is bogus, as that is not the requirement for being considered a "natural born" citizen.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
TeamOrange
Don't be that guy
+84|6312
Well according to United States v. Wong Kim Ark, the Supreme Court ruled that a person born within the territorial boundaries of the United States is eligible for birthright citizenship regardless of the nationality of his or her parents. So a us base would be considered part of the us territory

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/h … 49_ZS.html
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6481|Somewhere else

It really has become an unnecissary part of the constitution.

Where you are born should have little to do with your availability to be President.  I can see the necissity for having been an American Citizen for a large portion of your life though.

Just imagine if another Einstien was born in the world, and lived, but was not born, in America.  I think it would be a good thing to allow him to run.
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

TeamOrange wrote:

Well according to United States v. Wong Kim Ark, the Supreme Court ruled that a person born within the territorial boundaries of the United States is eligible for birthright citizenship regardless of the nationality of his or her parents. So a us base would be considered part of the us territory

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/h … 49_ZS.html
Actually, US military bases and embassies are NOT considered US territory for the purposes of citizenship. Even though embassies are technically sovereign US territory (I know, it doesn't make sense). Military bases in foreign countries are still technically foreign territory that is leased in some manner from the host country.

However, US Code does define someone born abroad to US citizens to be a natural born US citizen, regardless of where they are born.
― Albert Einstein

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Changing the constitution to accomodate an immediate need of a single individual seems like a bad idea. Changing the constitution should only be relevant when the aim is to better the future, or when the need is imminently critical to the nation as a whole.
I've always felt this way.  Just because someone is foreign born, it shouldn't mean they can't run for an office.  I don't even really like McCain and won't be voting for him, but I still would prefer this law changed.
True, but why should foreign born people be prohibited from running for president?  That doesn't sound very fair to me.  A full citizen, regardless of birth, should be able to run for any office, as long as he/she is of the appropriate age and isn't a felon.

Last edited by Turquoise (2008-03-01 13:03:17)

FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

True, but why should foreign born people be prohibited from running for president?  That doesn't sound very fair to me.  A full citizen, regardless of birth, should be able to run for any office, as long as he/she is of the appropriate age and isn't a felon.
I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with the law...just clarifying for mikkel.

However, I can understand why you wouldn't want the Chief Executive and Commander in Chief to be originally from another country. I suppose if they were a naturalized citizen who had lived as a US citizen for an amount of time equal to the minimum age, then there shouldn't be a problem.
― Albert Einstein

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
Aren't all military bases US soil? If he was born in one, wouldn't he be considered born in US soil?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Aren't all military bases US soil? If he was born in one, wouldn't he be considered born in US soil?
Depends on the treaty(ies) that we have with the country in question, but--for the purposes of citizenship only--NO. I think the rationale is that people from other countries could start getting onto the bases or embassy compounds and spitting out kids...then those kids would be US citizens. Much like the problem we have in the US with illegals coming over here just to have kids.

The law prevents that from happening overseas.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard