Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon
“But he’s pro-choice,” I would say, hanging on to the one political stance he and I actually shared.
she didn't marry a Republican, she married a Libertarian.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6716|US
Partisan politics is deadly to society.  It pains me to see people automatically disagreeing with someone because they have a different letter behind their title.  If you can't discuss the issues, what are you actually accomplishing?...a popularity contest?...is that what we are merrily sprinting toward?
13rin
+977|6481

RAIMIUS wrote:

Partisan politics is deadly to society.  It pains me to see people automatically disagreeing with someone because they have a different letter behind their title.  If you can't discuss the issues, what are you actually accomplishing?...a popularity contest?...is that what we are merrily sprinting toward?
Is the political party system lost on you? Those D's & R's  really do mean something more than just colored animals.  You'll find out soon enough which political party seems to produce the most candidates that tend to look after the military folk.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Moo? Si!
Tall, Dark, Antlered
+39|6130|817---->907

RAIMIUS wrote:

If you can't discuss the issues, what are you actually accomplishing?
I would honestly ask, what are the issues?  Will the sun not rise tomorrow if abortion can be performed at any neighborhood clinic?  Would the Earth not spin if everyone carried a handgun?  Would the sun cease fusion if Todd could now legally marry Kevin?

My issues are:
why does fuel cost $3.00 a gallon and milk cost $3.50 a gallon.
In 2008, why can't the USDA get their shit together and distribute healthy meat. 
Why do I have to wait 2 extra hours in the emergency room because a Native American won't go to their hospital that has superior equipment and free healthcare?
How much is it going to cost to send my kids to college, why?

Until then, all parties and candidates can go bitch at each other to death
geNius
..!.,
+144|6443|SoCal

Moo? Si! wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

If you can't discuss the issues, what are you actually accomplishing?
I would honestly ask, what are the issues?  Will the sun not rise tomorrow if abortion can be performed at any neighborhood clinic?  Would the Earth not spin if everyone carried a handgun?  Would the sun cease fusion if Todd could now legally marry Kevin?

My issues are:
why does fuel cost $3.00 a gallon and milk cost $3.50 a gallon.
In 2008, why can't the USDA get their shit together and distribute healthy meat. 
Why do I have to wait 2 extra hours in the emergency room because a Native American won't go to their hospital that has superior equipment and free healthcare?
How much is it going to cost to send my kids to college, why?

Until then, all parties and candidates can go bitch at each other to death
Without bias, this is one of the most intelligent posts I've seen here in months.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6551|CH/BR - in UK

Eh.. I'm passionate about politics, but people don't have to agree with me on that. In fact, I prefer it if they don't - makes conversation more interesting. What I need them to agree on, however (to some extent) is morals/ethics.

-konfusion
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6481|Somewhere else

Politics are important and people should know what's going on, however, political parties, themeselves, are always piled up of bullshit and hypocracy.

I'll go with what I feel is right, and someone could call me a liberal, but that's not true. I have opinions that could be considered Far right sometimes, far left others. Aligning yourself to a political party seems a little foolish to me really.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6648
So whats the final message?

Obama ad or liberals are just as intolerant as conservatives?
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6843|Cologne, Germany

Stingray24 wrote:

So ... could you marry someone from a political party you oppose?
well, it depends. The spectrum of political parties is a bit wider here in germany. But I guess my answer would be yes. I mean, why would I make party politics part of such a big life decision ?

Is this democrats vs republicans thing really such a big issue in the US ? I have always considered it to be rather childish. Shouldn't politics be about issues, not partisanship ?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ
Funny how Democrats and Republicans think they differ somehow.

edit: actually it's not funny at all :\

Last edited by oug (2008-02-28 02:25:00)

ƒ³
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6492|Menlo Park, CA
Good for her!! Maybe he can talk some sense into her liberal ass!!!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
What the Mother fucking hell?

The whole concept of political parties or beliefs determining your friends and relationships is beyond belief. Is this wide spread in America? because its totally alien to me.

To Answer your question... why the fuck not?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
I have lots of friends who are "libs".  We generally avoid talking about politics because I get them all riled up. However, it's a whole different ballgame when it comes to my life-long partner with whom I'll raise my children.  I want to be in agreement with my wife on the values that are important to me and how we will teach our children.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

That was actually the craziest piece of propaganda I've ever seen. And that's coming from an Obama supporter. Are there honestly people that take politics that seriously?

OMFG a Republican/Democrat! I've never seen one of them before!
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

B.Schuss wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

well, it depends. The spectrum of political parties is a bit wider here in germany. But I guess my answer would be yes. I mean, why would I make party politics part of such a big life decision ?

Is this democrats vs republicans thing really such a big issue in the US ? I have always considered it to be rather childish. Shouldn't politics be about issues, not partisanship ?
It is childish.  I don't think most people take party politics that seriously.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

SenorToenails wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

It is childish.  I don't think most people take party politics that seriously.
I was dating a woman a couple years ago who dumped me because I was not a Democrat.  Yes, really.  There actually ARE people who take politics this seriously and let it affect who their friends are.
*** EDIT:  Of course, there was another woman who slept with me so we could go see Neal Boortz live the next morning, so (on the whole) I suppose it goes both ways.

Last edited by imortal (2008-02-28 10:18:50)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

imortal wrote:

I was dating a woman a couple years ago who dumped me because I was not a Democrat.  Yes, really.  There actually ARE people who take politics this seriously and let it affect who their friends are.
Yes, some, but I hope they are a minority.  I don't know anyone who is that dedicated to their party that they would base a life decision on it.

Though, that is very sad she let her politics control her like that.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6660|WPB, FL. USA
LEFT - - - - -   US   - - - - - Right

Simpler terms; Where's your brain located in your skull.
Even simpler terms; What good is a brain if you only use one side of it or one side dominates the other.
Lai
+186|6152
Politics, Religion or any other philosophy don't mean shit in the personal sphere.

One friend of mine is a Jehovah zealot; she believes I, like any other infidel, am being ruled by Satan. Another is a convinced pacifist and has been a member of the Dutch semi-communist party (my father is Southern Vietnamese ; also my father best friend is from "the North"). Not to mention at least half the girls I'm more aquainted with are vegetarian,..
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
We're talking marriage, not simple friendship.  I guess it depends on how much importance one places on their beliefs.  Having been married almost 6 years, I've found there are plenty of things to cause debate in a relationship.  Since I am very passionate about my beliefs and my faith being on the same page with my wife in regard to politics, religion, etc makes life much easier.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-02-28 12:36:56)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Stingray24 wrote:

We're talking marriage, not simple friendship.  I guess it depends on how much importance one places on their beliefs.  Having been married almost 6 years, I've found there are plenty of things to cause debate in a relationship.  Since I am very passionate about my beliefs and my faith being on the same page with my wife in regard to politics, religion, etc makes life much easier.
If people have such clashing ideological beliefs, it would probably drive them apart before marriage.  Dharma and Greg only exist on TV, I think.

Would I be able to marry a vocal vegan who always preached at me about how I am a bastard for eating a steak?  No.  I wouldn't be able to tolerate that.

Could two reasonable people of different political parties marry?  Yes.
topal63
. . .
+533|6720

SenorToenails wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

If people have such clashing ideological beliefs, it would probably drive them apart before marriage.  Dharma and Greg only exist on TV, I think.

Would I be able to marry a vocal vegan who always preached at me about how I am a bastard for eating a steak?  No.  I wouldn't be able to tolerate that.

Could two reasonable people of different political parties marry?  Yes.
I think you could tolerate it if she was really hot and you were capable of attaining/retaining a really hot chick. Then she could get angry at you for eating that murdered animal meat, you'd smile realising the angry make-up sex that would follow after you devoured that savory steak.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

topal63 wrote:

I think you could tolerate it if she was really hot and you were capable of attaining/retaining a really hot chick. Then she could get angry at you for eating that murdered animal meat, you'd smile realising the angry make-up sex that would follow after you devoured that savory steak.
Heh.  Could be fun for a while.  But it won't last for a meaningful marriage.
topal63
. . .
+533|6720

SenorToenails wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Heh.  Could be fun for a while.  But it won't last for a meaningful marriage.
But, people do (can) change over time.

Some zealots mellow over time and other seemingly reasonable people are born-again nutters. You really can't predict marriage or people. Sometimes differences can even lead to a deeper more meaningful connection/bonding over time - other times not. The vegan/meat-eater scenario is exactly the situation of my wife's cousin. His hot wife is a vegan and he is not. Seems to working out OK for him.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

topal63 wrote:

But, people do (can) change over time.

Some zealots mellow over time and other seemingly reasonable people are born-again nutters. You really can't predict marriage or people. Sometimes differences can even lead to a deeper more meaningful connection/bonding over time - other times not. The vegan/meat-eater scenario is exactly the situation of my wife's cousin. His hot wife is a vegan and he is not. Seems to working out OK for him.
Good point.  I guess it depends on how much they disagree and also a lot on personality.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard