Poll

Do you use AV software?

Yes87%87% - 71
No12%12% - 10
Total: 81
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

My need to retain my financial information exceeds my ego. As a tech savvy person you should understand the importance of preventing an attack in a constantly changing environment.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Snowmanimal
Not so unique forum title
+30|6551|My head
On every one of my windows machines: yes. either AVG or Avast! or some variant.  Maybe mcafee 8.5 if I felt like being slow. 

Ubuntu laptop: No

Macbook: No

If I end up getting a virus on the mac or linux, I either was not doing updates or being a ding dong.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6390|the land of bourbon

Kmarion wrote:

My need to retain my financial information exceeds my ego. As a tech savvy person you should understand the importance of preventing an attack in a constantly changing environment.
yeah the whole ego/savvy thing was taken out of context.  thats why i was tryin to make all the jokes.  if you read all of my other posts carefully, though, you'll see that AV doesnt really matter...  trust me, antivirus software is no panacea for computer security, and its not worth it.  (if you are confident you can do without. ymmv)

Last edited by steelie34 (2008-02-26 20:56:09)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
mikkel
+383|6610

Kmarion wrote:

If you feel insecure without anti-virus, of course you should use it. As a tech 'savvy' person, you typically go with the flow. If people tell you that your computer is going to blow up without anti-virus, you put it on there, and probably conjure up some informed opinion on it. Rational thinking, however, dictates a sharp correlation between your need for protection and the inconvenience of implementing it.

If your computing strategy has left you completely unaffected by viruses for a very long time, and the only data that you stand to lose is data that you've backed up, then it's perfectly rational to omit anti-virus software, and it has nothing to do with ego, arrogance, ignorance or whatever else it may come across when you apply greyscale goggles to computing.

Last edited by mikkel (2008-02-26 22:55:07)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6332|New Haven, CT
My AV doesn't hog resources at all. I don't know where this conception is coming from.
steelie34
pub hero!

nukchebi0 wrote:

My AV doesn't hog resources at all. I don't know where this conception is coming from.
i've stated more than once why it does... re-read some of the posts here and you'll see what it does.  when you know how AV software works, you'll see why its a resource killer.

mikkel wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

If you feel insecure without anti-virus, of course you should use it. As a tech 'savvy' person, you typically go with the flow. If people tell you that your computer is going to blow up without anti-virus, you put it on there, and probably conjure up some informed opinion on it. Rational thinking, however, dictates a sharp correlation between your need for protection and the inconvenience of implementing it.

If your computing strategy has left you completely unaffected by viruses for a very long time, and the only data that you stand to lose is data that you've backed up, then it's perfectly rational to omit anti-virus software, and it has nothing to do with ego, arrogance, ignorance or whatever else it may come across when you apply greyscale goggles to computing.
i couldn't agree more with mikkel.  it all comes down to what you are comfortable doing, and making sure your protection strategy fits your needs.  imho, you should not rely on your AV solution to protect any of your data, but before you uninstall it, you need to have a good understanding of how to handle your system security.
jsnipy
+3,276|6531|...

Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd wrote:

Im so lazy
Total      2911:45:59. Apparently not

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-02-27 04:30:01)

steelie34
pub hero!

jsnipy wrote:

Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd wrote:

Im so lazy
Total      2911:45:59. Apparently not

@bennet, there a couple ways to do it.  "best practices" suggests that you should log on to your computer as a limited user, and only invoke admin rights when necessary.  (linux and macs have done this for years, finally windows is coming around.)  but most people log on to the their windows machines as admins, which really makes things worse if you do get a virus.  to run any program as a limited user, you first need to have a regular user acct on your computer, and then right-click the program you want to run and choose "run as." enter the credentials of your limited user account and bingo! the process will only run with limited privelages.  any virus that downloads cant execute, as limited users have no install rights on the OS.

a better solution is to log on your system as a limited user, like i said above, and use the "run as" ability to launch programs only when they need admin rights.  you can launch installers, games, whatever when you need to and only that process will have admin rights on the machine.  it really helps tighten the overall security, and makes for a much safer browsing experience.
steelie34
pub hero!
i knew it!!!  i totally saw this coming. i promise you AV software is a dying practice...

http://windowsitpro.com/whitepapers/Ind … 4b8d63e39a

Notice this fact:

"According to AusCERT, Australia's Computer Emergency Response Team, the top-selling Anti-Virus solutions let in 80 percent of all new malicious code."

LOL at av software.  it actually makes your computer less secure.
Defiance
+438|6680

Network hardware firewall as well as software firewall on windows, scan with AVG and spybot snd every once and a while. Though I won't bother on my linux install.

steelie34 wrote:

i knew it!!!  i totally saw this coming. i promise you AV software is a dying practice...

Notice this fact:

"According to AusCERT, Australia's Computer Emergency Response Team, the top-selling Anti-Virus solutions let in 80 percent of all new malicious code."

The new code that hasn't been found and flagged? Yeah, some virii can be caught before they're known as a virus, but if it's a fresh new thing that 80% doesn't surprise me. Besides, without it you'd have 100% instead of 80%. How did you get your conclusion from that?

Last edited by Defiance (2008-03-13 09:24:16)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6534|South Florida

steelie34 wrote:

Do you have anti-virus software installed?  Does anyone else agree that AV software is a resource hogging joke?  and could actually be considered malicious itself, since it installs at such a low level and intercepts system calls?  personally, i feel vista has more than enough threat mitigation measures built in, and as long as you have a solid firewall, you should be fine...  trust me, all these AV and spyware companies days are numbered...
We i used to be super anal about security for a long time, but that was when i knew i had to remove a virus if i had one. Now days ill just reformat if i get anything bad.

TBH a firewall is a good idea but its an annoyance i dont need, i use firefox. Firefox and windows firewall has always been good enough, plus i dont go to stupid ass sites that i know are gunna infect me.
15 more years! 15 more years!
steelie34
pub hero!

Defiance wrote:

Network hardware firewall as well as software firewall on windows, scan with AVG and spybot snd every once and a while. Though I won't bother on my linux install.

steelie34 wrote:

Notice this fact:

The new code that hasn't been found and flagged? Yeah, some virii can be caught before they're known as a virus, but if it's a fresh new thing that 80% doesn't surprise me. Besides, without it you'd have 100% instead of 80%. How did you get your conclusion from that?
im not sure what you mean... i was pointing out the fact that AV software lets 80% of the mailcious code get into a system.  without AV software, i only have to worry about the other 20%. 

i've seen it first hand at my work.  several months ago some new virus was spreading through the same port that symantec was using to update itself.  without symantec, we never would've had to deal with that virus.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6531
i use avg free, but i usually close it after it updates lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard