DSRTurtle
+56|6831

TC.Troy wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Hear about this?  Whoops, sorry NASCAR.  We didn't know we put the wrong nose on the car.  No harm no foul eh?  Not so much.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlin … index.html

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR on Wednesday issued penalties and fines to the No. 7 team that competes in the Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rule infractions found during Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway.

The No. 7 car, driven and owned by Robby Gordon, was found to be in violation of Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules); and 20-3.10A (unapproved front bumper cover) of the 2008 NASCAR rule book. The violations were found during opening day inspection for the Daytona 500 on Feb. 8.

As a result, Gordon has been penalized 100 championship driver and owner points.

Crew chief Frank Kerr has been fined $100,000, suspended for the next six Sprint Cup Series events until April 9 and placed on probation until Dec. 31, 2008.

Gordon finished eighth in the season-opening Daytona 500. With the penalty, he drops to 40th in points with 42 -- 16 behind 35th-place Casey Mears.

Gordon had announced his switch from Ford to Dodge, along with a new partnership with Gillett Evernham Motorsports, five days earlier and inadvertently had used a Dodge Charger nose that had been submitted to NASCAR but had not yet been approved. Before qualifying for the Daytona 500 on Feb. 10, Gordon replaced the part with an approved Dodge Avenger nose.
Yeah, I've read it.

In short...Nascar has made it abundantly clear, you do not mess with the bodies on these cars.  Just aske Chad Knaus and Steve "poptart" LeTart...
I think in this case there was no intent by Robby Gordon's team to violate the rules.  And is as he says, a case of human error by someone not on his team.  I hope he wins his appeal.  Even if I can't stand Robby Gordon.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6590|The Land of Scott Walker
Agreed DSRTurtle.  I believe him, even though Robby Gordon has always kind of annoyed me.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6718
Believing him or not is not the question.  The "human" error arguement just doesnt work.  Lets say I want to slick up my car at Atlanta, get down the back straight a bit quicker...lets say I move the quarterpanel in by 1/8 of an inch.

The mod gets caught in the "room of doom"...

I scream "human error...it must have been a mistake by someone not on my team"...

or...

My end plates on my wing have 1/8inch more wickerbill on the inside than anyone else, I'll get lots more side force (faster corner speeds).

Again, I am caught in tech.

I scream "human error...thats an RFID part, we didnt build it" (the wicker strips on the end plates can be changed after the fact)

The human error thing just doesnt carry any wieght with NASCAR in these cases, with these COT's.  If it did, then they would all scream human error and hope to get out of the penalty.  If you want to validate the human error arguement, then you open the door for wizards like Chad Knaus to wear out your tech guys with "human error".

I've been watching/in/around NASCAR for better than 30 years.  I dont like Robbie Gordon.  But I am not such a hardnose that I cant smell sh*t when I see it, and I try to be very unbiased, for I am a race fan, not a fan of any one particular driver.
If I dint think Robbie was guilty, I would be screaming it from the highest mountain. 

No matter if its Robby's fault, or some goon on his team that wants sabotage (crazy yes) or a badly manufactured part, you (as a sanctioning body) must not open the door in cases like this, with these COT's to any interpretation of the rules, to any "oh its ok, you misunderstood the rules" arguements. 

For upon doing so, you open the flood gates of rules infractions, and creativity from these teams.  NASCAR was right to call hax, and bust him...
no matter if he is guilty, or not.

Edit:  chk this bit on speedtv.com...this is the best arguement I can give to "human error, not my fault"
NASCAR just cant let it happen, no matter who, or what part we are talking about.
http://www.speedtv.com/article/mcreynol … cred-boys/

Last edited by TC.Troy (2008-02-23 03:26:28)

DSRTurtle
+56|6831
TC, what you have forgotten is that Robby Gordon switched manufacturers at the last moment.  That can certainly lead to confusion and mistakes.  It's certianlly different than what Ernhardht's Gordon's and Johnson's teams did last year with the COT.  They did not switch manufacturers and it was not the first COT race of the season when the above mentioned infractions happened.  Aldo they were penalized for infractions involving areas of the COT that are common to all 4 manufacturers cars, not the nose which is different for each one.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6667
so what races have you guys been to?

i've seen 5 of them.

'01 cracker barrel 500 - atlanta
'01 talladega 500
'01 bi-lo 200 - darlington (busch series)
'01 mtn dew southern 500 - darlington
'02 mbna 500 - atlanta

damn it has been way too long. i can't wait!
Stingray24
I've never been ... gotta get to Joliet or Brooklyn sometime.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6718

DSRTurtle wrote:

TC, what you have forgotten is that Robby Gordon switched manufacturers at the last moment.  That can certainly lead to confusion and mistakes.  It's certianlly different than what Ernhardht's Gordon's and Johnson's teams did last year with the COT.  They did not switch manufacturers and it was not the first COT race of the season when the above mentioned infractions happened.  Aldo they were penalized for infractions involving areas of the COT that are common to all 4 manufacturers cars, not the nose which is different for each one.
nope, I havent forgetten that, not at all.  Frankly, it makes no difference when he changed mfg's.  Somebody at Robby Gordon Motor Sports dropped the ball and allowed an unaprooved part on the car.  Simple as that.  That doesnt mean he was gunning for an advantage.  That means somebody made a mistake.
Same deal with the 8 and the unaprooved wing posts at Darlington.  A simple mistake by somebody back at the shop at DEI.  No unfair advantage was deemed to have been gained.  The 8 team still got busted.

The point is, you cant start getting into debates about why, where or when.  An unaprooved part, is an unaprooved part.  Use it, you lose it, and points, and money etc etc.  NASCAR is on a mission to make double damned sure everyone is on the same page, everwhere with these COT's.

I feel for Robby, I really do.  His is a dieing breed, the single car team.  I dont care for his actions on or off the track, but I dont mind seeing him have a certain amount of success.  Its good for the sport.  Screw what or who I do or dont like.

TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6718

ig wrote:

so what races have you guys been to?

i've seen 5 of them.

'01 cracker barrel 500 - atlanta
'01 talladega 500
'01 bi-lo 200 - darlington (busch series)
'01 mtn dew southern 500 - darlington
'02 mbna 500 - atlanta

damn it has been way too long. i can't wait!
Both Bristol races, and both Busch (nationwide...bah, thats too big a word...) races each year, for the past 4 years

I used to live in Richmond Va., but that was before they rebuilt and reconfigured RIR, so I never went...sad to say.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6718

Stingray24 wrote:

I've never been ... gotta get to Joliet or Brooklyn sometime.
dude, you get the tickets for 09' and get here, I'll put you and 1 other up for the weekend hehe

You'll have the time of your life, I promise
Stingray24
Hmmm I may have to explore this option.   Best place to buy tickets?

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-02-23 08:48:13)

TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6718

Stingray24 wrote:

Hmmm I may have to explore this option.
The option is always open cat. 
That is until the management says otherwise

hehe

Bristol rocks, there are no bad seats, you can see all the way around the track, no obsctuctions anywhere.  Its loud, all the time, save cautions, then you cant kinda not feel your chest being beaten to death by soundwaves.  You smell everything the cars do, from standard tire wear (yes you'll have it all over you by the end of 500 laps) to blown tires, to wrecks, to blown engines.  Its like being in the pits for the whole 500 laps, but up so you can see.

Best race on the circuit, imho

I'd hit the BMS web-site...http://probld.bristolmotorspeedway.com/news/

or NASCAR.com

Last edited by TC.Troy (2008-02-23 08:52:47)

Stingray24
I see why you said 09, I can't get 2 tickets for this year.
DSRTurtle
+56|6831
Damn guess I'm going have to save up for tickets to fall race in Atlanta.  I've been to spring races in 05 and 06.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6718

Stingray24 wrote:

I see why you said 09, I can't get 2 tickets for this year.
If you can get tickets, get them for the august night race.  Thats the better of the two races.  DO NOT wait to order tickets for 09' much past the march race date.  Bristol is ussually sold out for both "next" season races, shortly after the march race.

Dont waste time if you are serious Stingray, trust me on this

note:  I'd invite the whole lot of you gents, but I've only so much room, otherwise, that would be a weekend to remember hehehe

Last edited by TC.Troy (2008-02-23 11:38:04)

Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6563|Florida

TC.Troy wrote:

note:  I'd invite the whole lot of you gents, but I've only so much room, otherwise, that would be a weekend to remember hehehe
Hell, all I need is enough room to pitch a tent in your back yard, and enough room in your fridge for my beer...lol
ig
+1,199|6667
can you not just go down to the lot and get a scalped ticket at bristol? i know you can at all the tracks i've been to, but i know bristol attracts a lot more people than most tracks.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6718

ig wrote:

can you not just go down to the lot and get a scalped ticket at bristol? i know you can at all the tracks i've been to, but i know bristol attracts a lot more people than most tracks.
Sure you can, if you dont mind paying 4-500 bucks for A ticket...

That, and the fact there are enough police standing/driving/mounted running around that a scalper would get picked up in a slick second hehe
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6789
why are monte carlos so damn sexy?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6766|London, England

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Cos they're driven by big latino americans who eat babies for breakfast
ig
+1,199|6667

TC.Troy wrote:

ig wrote:

That, and the fact there are enough police standing/driving/mounted running around that a scalper would get picked up in a slick second hehe
man that sucks. i remember back in '02 they were selling tickets on sunday at atlanta for $25-30 for backstretch
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6789

Mek-Izzle wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

yup, pretty much.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6718

ig wrote:

TC.Troy wrote:

ig wrote:

man that sucks. i remember back in '02 they were selling tickets on sunday at atlanta for $25-30 for backstretch
I used to get Cup tickets, plus pit passes for $100.00...now, you cant touch a Cup ticket for $100.00 hardly, and pit passes??  lol  not anymore, not unless you got BIG strings to pull or something hehe
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6718

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

yup, pretty much.
Did you ever straighten out that sexy transmission issue Gunslinger? 

ig
+1,199|6667

TC.Troy wrote:

ig wrote:

TC.Troy wrote:

I used to get Cup tickets, plus pit passes for $100.00...now, you cant touch a Cup ticket for $100.00 hardly, and pit passes??  lol  not anymore, not unless you got BIG strings to pull or something hehe
times are a changin'
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6789

TC.Troy wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

yup, pretty much.
Did you ever straighten out that sexy transmission issue Gunslinger? 

sure did.  cat converter.  Monte Carlos rule the world.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard