Apprentice
+151|6228|NSW, Australia

sounds like fun
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya

Nappy wrote:

sounds like fun
Oh yer tonnes of fun... unless your on the receiving end of one.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6438|Brisbane, Australia

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Nappy wrote:

sounds like fun
Oh yer kilotonnes of fun... unless your on the receiving end of one.
Fixed
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
PRLR
+5|5997|Northern Sweden

Last edited by PRLR (2008-02-20 04:08:15)

Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6221|Brisneyland

FEOS wrote:

2. The SH's will be replacing the F-111s that the Aussies are struggling to keep in the air. The US retired those things more than a decade ago.
I would hardly say that our Air Force is struggling to keep the F111's in the air. I havent heard of too many probs with them. US retired them because they dont suit their needs any more, and they have found more suitable replacements ( which is fair enough). However they suit Aus because they have a massive range which suits the size of our country. Carry a massive payload, and have a high ceiling. They were made in the cold war for flying long distances to drop nukes on Russia, thankfully that is no longer needed. Lucky for us they are still very useful in Australia.

I live about an hour away from where they are stationed, they really look impressive when they do a fly past. Especially with their Afterburners on.

Four Corners doumentary wrote:

For more than 30 years the F-111 has ensured Australia’s air superiority in the region. In aviation circles, F-111 is considered a freak - affectionately nicknamed the pig by its pilots, there are only one or two planes in the world even today that can fly as far, as fast, and deliver as massive a bomb load as the F-111.

In 1999, 25 years after the F-111 entered service, Australia started the preliminary groundwork looking for a replacement for its fighter bombers. There was no hurry, the F-111s were in tip top shape and weren’t due to retire until 2020, two decades away.

Whatever was to replace the F-111 would have to be an extraordinary aircraft.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Nappy wrote:

sounds like fun
Oh yer kilotonnes of fun... unless your on the receiving end of one.
Fixed
Thanks.

Yer i thinks its a waste of money... plenty of other options out there.... i think this is a big mistake by brendon nelson and i hope the new DEFMIN withdraws the contract.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Burwhale the Avenger wrote:

FEOS wrote:

2. The SH's will be replacing the F-111s that the Aussies are struggling to keep in the air. The US retired those things more than a decade ago.
I would hardly say that our Air Force is struggling to keep the F111's in the air. I havent heard of too many probs with them. US retired them because they dont suit their needs any more, and they have found more suitable replacements ( which is fair enough). However they suit Aus because they have a massive range which suits the size of our country. Carry a massive payload, and have a high ceiling. They were made in the cold war for flying long distances to drop nukes on Russia, thankfully that is no longer needed. Lucky for us they are still very useful in Australia.

I live about an hour away from where they are stationed, they really look impressive when they do a fly past. Especially with their Afterburners on.
It wasn't a knock on your AF or on the jet itself...it's a matter of how old the aircraft is. As they get older, the maintenance time, resources, and cost get exponentially greater. Many times that is masked by the fine troops busting their asses on the flight line and in depot keeping the birds airworthy.

I suppose it helps that you guys have a massive pile of spare parts for your F-111s sitting in the Arizona desert.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6672|A sunburnt country
The "Supers" are a great aircraft that will be needed to fill a capability gap left behind by our aging F111's.  The F111's (Pigs) are a fantastic aircraft that has no current day comparison in capability but they are getting too old and have issues with the fuselage cracking, which makes them unsafe to fly.  The F35 will undoubtedly be delivered late (we are supposed to get ours in 2020) so we need something to fill the gap when the F111's go. 

P.S.  I know this because our company has just been awarded the data link support contract with Boeing!! 

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/news/b … 87106.html
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6714|US
F-111s are amazing aircraft, but they don't compete in today's air-to-air battlefield (at least not when your neighbors have SU-30MKIIs).  As a strike aircraft, they are superb.

Frankly, it doesn't sound like the F/A-18E/F really has the air-to-air capabilities the SU-30 has.  Unfortunately for Australia, the US isn't keen on selling F-22s...so basically, you're screwed against well trained Sukhoi pilots...sorry.
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6672|A sunburnt country
Not doubting you there Raimius but you are comparing apples with oranges.  Of course an F/A 18 cannot match an SU-30 in a dog fight and neither can an F-111, which the E/Fs are getting bought to replace.  The E/F is designed to kill anything way before it gets to a dog fight.  If an F/A 18 is in a dogfight, the pilot and back seater really fucked up.  The E/F's capabilities are in it's ability to participate in the Network Centric Environment, which means it should know well in advance whats going on around it before it comes to a dog fight. 

Get out of the past men, no one has done 1v1 dogfighting since Korea!

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya

VspyVspy wrote:

The "Supers" are a great aircraft that will be needed to fill a capability gap left behind by our aging F111's.  The F111's (Pigs) are a fantastic aircraft that has no current day comparison in capability but they are getting too old and have issues with the fuselage cracking, which makes them unsafe to fly.  The F35 will undoubtedly be delivered late (we are supposed to get ours in 2020) so we need something to fill the gap when the F111's go. 

P.S.  I know this because our company has just been awarded the data link support contract with Boeing!! 

F111's dont need to retire until 2020... we could have spent a few million on replacement parts from the US instead of 6.6 billion on 24 Superhornets which against any new generation enemy fighter... would be shot down
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

VspyVspy wrote:

F111's dont need to retire until 2020... we could have spent a few million on replacement parts from the US instead of 6.6 billion on 24 Superhornets which against any new generation enemy fighter... would be shot down
I think that is mere speculation, especially considering the relative RCS's of a Su-30 and the F-18E/F.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya

nukchebi0 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

VspyVspy wrote:

I think that is mere speculation, especially considering the relative RCS's of a Su-30 and the F-18E/F.
True... in a documentary i watched (the one posted earlier) it seemed pretty clear on the fact that the superhornet was an unnessesary buy and also does not compete with the top end new planes....

I just think its an unnessesary purchase... and that they shouldnt have rushed into such a big decision.

oh well thats my view
sgtdude1987
+8|6216|midlands britain
Please buy Eurofighters? We have been working on them for soooo long now it would be great to sell them to anybody other than the Mid East!
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya

sgtdude1987 wrote:

Please buy Eurofighters? We have been working on them for soooo long now it would be great to sell them to anybody other than the Mid East!
Hmm yer it was one of the options pushed aside by Brendon Nelson without being examined... also a proposal by Dassault and their Rafale.

decision was rushed into...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

sgtdude1987 wrote:

Eurofighters for dogfighting and Rafale M's for Naval warfare = win.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT
To be honest, 24 isn't really that many, and even if the plane is slightly less maneuverable than Chinese fighters, it is better stealthed and has better weaponry.
Hawk390
+27|6643|Melbourne, Australia
We should buy some F15's to replace the F-111's. What better than the worlds best strike fighter? The Eurofighter would be so much better to have than new JSF's which seem overly expensive for little gain, in a region where Russian jets with greater abilities are coming to the fore. The Libs were too cosy with the Americans to ever think of buying any planes other than American jets. If only we could get some Sukhoi's of our own...but no, too much Cold War evil russkies and American buddy feelings floating round still in Australian politics.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya

nukchebi0 wrote:

To be honest, 24 isn't really that many, and even if the plane is slightly less maneuverable than Chinese fighters, it is better stealthed and has better weaponry.
Its stealth capabilities are very limited... really it just looks good on paper to say its stealthy...
FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

F-15Es are probably a much better choice to replace the F-111, given the mission of the F-111. You get increased strike capability with an actual air-to-air capability only matched by the F-15C and F-22.

As for the Su-30 argument, it is a peer with the F-15, aerodynamically. The difference lies with the avionics and pilot skill level. The SH can handle itself in a dogfight with any frontline fighter. In fact, there is that video running around the internet (and posted here a while back) of a SH with a Raptor in its gun sight.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya

FEOS wrote:

F-15Es are probably a much better choice to replace the F-111, given the mission of the F-111. You get increased strike capability with an actual air-to-air capability only matched by the F-15C and F-22.

As for the Su-30 argument, it is a peer with the F-15, aerodynamically. The difference lies with the avionics and pilot skill level. The SH can handle itself in a dogfight with any frontline fighter. In fact, there is that video running around the internet (and posted here a while back) of a SH with a Raptor in its gun sight.
Of course alot depends on the pilot... i think the SH's dont suit our purpose... we already have quite a few F/A-18's... i think another plane is needed for diversity... but i dont think we even need one right now...
FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Keep in mind that, essentially, all the SH really has in common with the A-D models is the name.
― Albert Einstein

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya

FEOS wrote:

Keep in mind that, essentially, all the SH really has in common with the A-D models is the name.
that is true... but there are plenty of better alternatives... the US navy didnt even want to use to Super hornet until their alternative (forget name) fail miserably... we are the only country apart from america to buy super hornets.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard