.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone
...is available for download on WarezBB.

"1.DirectX 10.1 is a series of extensions to DirectX 10
2.It's supported by upcoming graphics hardware, but not current DX10 hardware
3.It requires (and will be part of) Vista Service Pack 1

This is business as usual, as far as DirectX is concerned. DX 10.1 hardware will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10, but current DX10 hardware won't be forward compatible. So games looking to support DX 10.1 still need a DX 10 rendering path to support today's DX10 cards. Think of it like when Microsoft released DirectX 9.0c with added Shader Model 3.0 support. Also, don't worry too much about it requiring SP1 (which isn't out yet). The DX 10.1 SDK only recently was made available, and by the time supporting hardware and DX10.1 are released to end users somewhere in the first half of 2008, SP1 should be readily available.
What are the changes? DX 10.1's goals are to offer the "complete" DX 10, giving developers better control over image quality and making mandatory some of the things that are optional in DX 10. For example, 32-bit floating point filtering is optional in DX10 (16-bit FP filtering is mandatory), but will be mandatory in DX 10.1. Also, in DX 10, the number of multisample anti-aliasing samples is optional—DX 10.1 will make 4x AA mandatory, and require two specific sample patterns. Graphics cards can offer more sample patterns, and developers can query them in their shaders. Graphics cards that are DX 10.1 compliant will have to offer programmable shader output sample masks and multisample AA depth readback. Game developers will be able to index into cube maps and perform bitwise copies from uncompressed textures to block-compressed texture formats.

If that's a bunch of gobbledygook to you, don't sweat it. The main takeaway is this: DirectX 10.1 is a straightforward incremental update to DX 10 that forces graphics vendors to adhere to a few more set standards with regards to image quality and a couple other under-the-hood graphics features, mainly to give games more control over image quality."

Last edited by .Sup (2008-02-18 08:46:27)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC
What a farce... it sounds pretty minimal but it won't work on current DX10 hardware.

Thanks, Microsoft.
02fxnmaurer
+75|6452|Birmingham UK
so wont work on my 8800 gt then ?
.Sup
be nice

02fxnmaurer wrote:

No. It works with the AMD HD38xx series.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Welcome to life. It's a scam.

They knew this before they even released DX10.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
I <3 my lack of upgrading on my still-awesome X1900XT.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

It'll be haxed to run on DX10 cards. Someone WILL do it.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Do it.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

No they wont. Just like DRM was never hacked properly. Or just like Directx10 wasn't hacked for XP.

It just wont happen.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51

.Sup wrote:

02fxnmaurer wrote:

And guess who has ordered an Ati HD3870

Hint: its me
.Sup
be nice
Who needs DX10 anyway. Crysis works great on XP. Besides FPS drops about 20% on average in Vista compared to XP.
topal63
. . .
+533|6688

.Sup wrote:

Who needs DX10 anyway. Crysis works great on XP. Besides FPS drops about 20% on average in Vista compared to XP.
Yep...

PS: The only thing that looks different in DX10 (IMO)... are particle volumes (smoke, clouds, fog). Other differences in image quality are hardly noticeable, if at all.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

Zimmer wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

No they wont. Just like DRM was never hacked properly. Or just like Directx10 wasn't hacked for XP.

It just wont happen.
Get a fast enough server and some changed files, and you're set for your own DRM. Or convert the sound/video manually (Playing it through digital output into another computer)

The hardware changes required for DX10.1 are minimal to none, a custom firmware for the cards would propably be enough to fool windows into believing they're 10.1. That's made even easier with all GPGPU stuff going on.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

.Sup wrote:

DX10 will be much better when its developed. Most game developers right now are focusing on somethig along DX10, so when they get more used to the changes, the games will get better graphically and the changes between 9 and 10 will be much more significant.

I wouldn't throw the option out the window just yet.... just because you have XP.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

It just wont happen.
Get a fast enough server and some changed files, and you're set for your own DRM. Or convert the sound/video manually (Playing it through digital output into another computer)

The hardware changes required for DX10.1 are minimal to none, a custom firmware for the cards would propably be enough to fool windows into believing they're 10.1. That's made even easier with all GPGPU stuff going on.
No, some DRM is not changeable ( many of the .wmv files encoded in it cannot be hacked. ) - Unless you can show me the light? As I have tried many a time and to no prevail.

The software changes for DX10.1 are actually quite huge, so when they say that the old GFX cards wont be compatible... I don't think they are lying.
.Sup
be nice

Zimmer wrote:

.Sup wrote:

DX10 will be much better when its developed. Most game developers right now are focusing on somethig along DX10, so when they get more used to the changes, the games will get better graphically and the changes between 9 and 10 will be much more significant.

I wouldn't throw the option out the window just yet.... just because you have XP.
I have a legit copy of Vista business sitting on my desk. Dunno what to do with it.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

DX10 is great.

DX10.1 looks silly. Mandatory AA and filtering are silly. There are no appreciable differences between SM4 and SM4.1. The AA and filtering improvements do look worthwhile, but it's such a minute technical step there is no real point to it - which is why nVidia are skipping it entirely and moving straight from DX10 to DX11.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Zimmer wrote:

No, some DRM is not changeable.
All DRM is, at the very least, re-recordable. Then you can do whatever the hell you want with it. It can be extremely long and figgly with some of the newer versions though.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Bertster7 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

All DRM is, at the very least, re-recordable. Then you can do whatever the hell you want with it. It can be extremely long and figgly with some of the newer versions though.
How can you re-record? With a basic converter? Like - wmv to flv?
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Bertster7 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Yeah indeed, I had to do that a few days ago with an audiobook a friend wanted, it was 3 hours long.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6384|Finland

I'll make one thing clear. There is pretty much no need to have dx10.1 card. ATi HD 38x0 series hardly have the power to run even dx10 games. Not to talk about running the dx10.1 code. Pretty much all that dx10.1 does is force some features of dx10 on. Guess how any of the current gen cards will perform on that.... not smooth. I have had both HD 3870 and now a 8800GTX and the ATi dx10 performance is not great at all. And the performance of GTX in dx10 is only a bit better.

So don't worry about dx10.1 guys. Go gaming with your Dx10 cards...

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2008-02-19 03:24:38)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
.Sup
be nice
As far as i know dx 10.1 only corrects some bugs that are present in dx10 and improves performance a bit.
PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6484|montreal, quebec

kylef wrote:

I <3 my lack of upgrading on my still-awesome X1900XT.
x1950xt + xp sp2 = w00t!
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51

.Sup wrote:

As far as i know dx 10.1 only corrects some bugs that are present in dx10 and improves performance a bit.
This is true, Dx 10.1 will be a more stable version of DX10 and will bring better performance.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6662|England

RDMC wrote:

.Sup wrote:

02fxnmaurer wrote:

And guess who has ordered an Ati HD3870

Hint: its me
so have i

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard