jord
+2,382|6685|The North, beyond the wall.
I run every other day. I got my time down to 1:42 only I don't know the distance, I just run around a large square of grass.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6746|Toronto | Canada

Poseidon wrote:

RandomSchl wrote:

make sure you stretch before any workout because it will make it easier and less likely to get injuries.
A very good point. I think I saw a sign in the Bodies Exhibition in NYC that said if you don't stretch before working out, it's like trying to stretch out a frozen rubber band.
But make sure you warmup before you try to stretch or you are even more likely to pull a muscle
Ganko_06
Laughter with an S
+167|6652|Camoran's Paradise
Woo.  Just finished a 7K.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6204|Winland

I don't.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6460|The Twilight Zone

ThomasMorgan wrote:

ThaReaper wrote:

Is it better than working out? Do you build muscles if you run like 4 miles a day?
It's two entirely different workouts.
explain.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6630|Camp XRay

Yes, also those who are interested the sign ups for the NYC marathon will go online Feb. 25th. Anyone else who is planning on running it let me know. I will come knock you down during the race and laugh at you.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5968|Washington DC

.Sup wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

ThaReaper wrote:

Is it better than working out? Do you build muscles if you run like 4 miles a day?
It's two entirely different workouts.
explain.
Lifting weights = pushing your muscles till they have microscopic damage in them. I know I said microscopic, but it adds up. Your body then repairs these pieces making you stronger (basic adaptation so to speak) and/or bigger (depending on your workout).

Running = cardiovascular work... it's not a major strain on your muscles (except the legs, and even then it's not entirely like doing deadlifts etc) but it gets your blood flowing, burns calories (and thus fat, assuming you're running for a decent amount of time), improves cardiovascular health, and improves your breathing ability.

I like how even though I don't seriously work out (gonna start though) I know this stuff because of bio
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6533|Milkystania, yurop
I'm just going out for a jog now if i don't come back avenge my death
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6717|Sweden

Poseidon wrote:

RandomSchl wrote:

make sure you stretch before any workout because it will make it easier and less likely to get injuries.
A very good point. I think I saw a sign in the Bodies Exhibition in NYC that said if you don't stretch before working out, it's like trying to stretch out a frozen rubber band.
Stretching is very debateable, studies has shown in some cases it can increase your chance getting injured.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7 … -0,00.html A very good article.

I would say if/when you stretch do it with thought not just mindless breaking your leg, muscles upside down. And imo warmup before a pass is shitload better than stretching. I do however stretch some parts but that´s afterwards and not necessary all the time.
jord
Does anyone know if there's a machine that can measure how far you have run? And no not a treadmill. I run outside.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6460|The Twilight Zone

jord wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a machine that can measure how far you have run? And no not a treadmill. I run outside.
Get yourself a Suunto or Polar watch. They measure everything except penis length.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6717|Sweden
@ Jord http://www.walkjogrun.net/

Check that out, the site is unfortunely slow as hell it seems. worked though, i would´nt trust the distances completely but they won´t fail you that bad either

Edit: For any Swedish runners here i would recommend you checking out www.Jogg.se using the same type of tool, got some other good stuff too.

Last edited by madmurre (2008-02-18 08:33:09)

BlackKoala
+215|6332
I mix up a training bag routine, light-intensity, long length jogging, and HiiT for my cardio work.

I can easily jog five miles with minimal effort after doing that for a few months, it's no big deal.  The HiiT is what's killer.

If anything it destroys muscles rather than builds them, which is why a heavy cardio routine should be accompanied with a good lifting routine to avoid muscle loss with maximum fat loss.  Unless of course you just want to lose weight, and don't care if it's muscle mass or body fat.

So no; running is not going to make you huge.  If you want to get huge, it's a completely different commitment that you're going to have to make.
137twozerosniper
+57|6572|UK
i run, depends on the week 1.5 up to 10 miles its all good + circuits
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York

jord wrote:

http://walking.about.com/od/measure/tp/pedometer.htm

Measures the steps. The better ones will calculate feet and miles.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6533|Milkystania, yurop
"Top 10 Best Pedometers"
DeadFin
Who are we to argue with Taller Ghost Walt?
+27|6670|Finland
kinda offtopic. but what do you guys think about cycling? like is jogging better or what?
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6114|Birmingham, UK
I only run if i'm late for school.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6155|San Antonio, Texas
Running and jogging are aerobic exercises. Aerobic helps your heart, lungs and oxygen intake.

Weight lifting is anaerobic. These exercises improve your short-term strenuous muscle capacity.

Wikipedia and biology report FTW. Basically, I do running prior to the anaerobic exercise, and possibly lifting some weights in the process of walking/running. Killing two birds with one stone. Remember, you have to warm up before the exercise, and cool down after.
Des.Kmal
+917|6625|Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

Running and jogging are aerobic exercises. Aerobic helps your heart, lungs and oxygen intake.

Weight lifting is anaerobic. These exercises improve your short-term strenuous muscle capacity.

Wikipedia and biology report FTW. Basically, I do running prior to the anaerobic exercise, and possibly lifting some weights in the process of walking/running. Killing two birds with one stone. Remember, you have to warm up before the exercise, and cool down after.
alot of times... circuits make my heart rate ALOT faster than a 5k. ALOT....

alot...

lol AND it works out your muscles...
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6114|Birmingham, UK

jord wrote:

I run every other day. I got my time down to 1:42 only I don't know the distance, I just run around a large square of grass.
And i'm sure you look very cool doing this.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6155|San Antonio, Texas

Des.Kmal wrote:

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

alot...

That's why you don't trust Wiki.
BlackKoala
+215|6332

Bf2-GeneralArnott wrote:

jord wrote:

didnt you say you only run when youre late for school?  if so; shut the fuck up.
jord

Bf2-GeneralArnott wrote:

jord wrote:

When I say large I don't mean 6 foot by 6 foot you retard.
Des.Kmal
+917|6625|Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

Des.Kmal wrote:

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

alot...

That's why you don't trust Wiki.
definately dont trust wiki. and power cleaning is the same. my heart rate is ALOT faster than when i run. its a combination of adrenaline (working out makes me excited. not that way, i just like doing it) and having to use more muscles than normal i guess.

actually, the only anaerobic exercise i can think of would be benching, and even then my heart rate is pretty fast.

"anaerobic" exercise is grossly overstated.
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard