jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
Do you respect an individual by their actions and words? Or by their profession? Seems some people here think that everyone has an obligation to respect Police/Teachers etc. I respect people individually, I respect soldiers individually. Believe it or not they don't all have good intentions. Same with Police.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
It's all about gramar.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina
Individually.
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

ATG wrote:

It's all about gramar.
You respect everyone with good grammar or only people with good grammerz?
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6626|Birmingham, UK

sergeriver wrote:

Individually.
I concur with the Right Honourable sergeriver.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5963|Washington DC
I hold a certain respect for people by default (e.g. a fireman, a policeman, a soldier, a doctor etc) but the individual must earn further respect beyond that basic level.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6712|Sweden

jord wrote:

Do you respect an individual by their actions and words?
Yes

Anything else would be plain wrong, sure i would try to greet officers etc with a good attitude but that does´nt necessary means i respect them.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6831|Denver colorado
I respect everyone in till they do something that demands me to disrespect them.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6718|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
I give everyone a certain amount of respect when I first meet them, but if they want to keep my respect they have to earn it.
aLeX
.?
+160|6333|:D

Talking about people having a basic level of respect for police/teachers etc. although in some ways it's a good thing, it isn't really the right thing to do. It's amazing what someone will do for someone who they think has authority. Like jord said, they don't always have good intentions. There was an episode of The Real Hustle (BBC Three Progam) where one of the guys took someones car whilst impersonating a police officer.

I couldn't dig up the video, but found one where they impersonate a wheel clamping company, similiar situation.

Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6812|Nårvei

Respect for individuals is earned, i do have respect for institutions until proved they don't deserve it
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
I think everyone is gay

I'm just mad all the time
Home
Section.80
+447|6849|Seattle, Washington, USA

Everyone automatically has a minimal level of respect from me (just the level of common decency; I won't ignore you if you say hello) unless they do something to lose it or something to gain a higher level of respect.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6723|Ireland | Monaghan

I respect someone that Walks the Walk after talking the talk.
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6572|USA
i respect everybody until they give me reason not to.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
Respect is earned, I'm neutral towards people I don't know alot about, no matter what proffesion they have, they'll have to prove themselves to me first in order to gain my respect.
inane little opines
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

HurricaИe wrote:

I hold a certain respect for people by default (e.g. a fireman, a policeman, a soldier, a doctor etc) but the individual must earn further respect beyond that basic level.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6660|WPB, FL. USA
You have to separate the two:

- Most professions are respected as a whole because of their impact on the quality of life (Teaching, Law Enforcement, Military, Medical Community, Freely Elected Government of the People, etc.). 

- Most individuals, by nature, are good people and cohabitate well with others.  Some individuals, by their actions and words, have proven to not be respectable.  Some people bring out the worst in a person and each should be measured on their own action, words, and conduct.

imho - Respect is earned on an individual and daily basis.  Those who demand it or expect it because of what they do are certainly misguided. I would also add that you can certainly disagree with a person on issues and still respect the whole of the person.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA
All I know is,I better start getting some damn respect around here!!!!!
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5963|Washington DC

lowing wrote:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T?
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North

sergeriver wrote:

Individually.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

HurricaИe wrote:

lowing wrote:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T?
Ok, thats one
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
I respect no-one as of right, they have to earn it.
If there is information they are respected by their peers that gives them a head start.

The people I respect least are those who demand it as of right just because of their position - usually obtained by treading on other people, luck and bum-kissing.
Just because you're a 3 Star General, Chief of Police, whatever, it doesn't mean you can't be a prick too.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

I respect no-one as of right, they have to earn it.
If there is information they are respected by their peers that gives them a head start.

The people I respect least are those who demand it as of right just because of their position - usually obtained by treading on other people, luck and bum-kissing.
Just because you're a 3 Star General, Chief of Police, whatever, it doesn't mean you can't be a prick too.
So do not respect achievers, because they only got anywhere not by hard work, but by kissing ass........ got it.........

Last edited by lowing (2008-02-18 04:07:15)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

HurricaИe wrote:

Indeed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard