Poll

Do you have the missing sound bug? Workaround works for you?

Yes, i have the bug84%84% - 16
No, i haven't10%10% - 2
Yes, workaround works for me0%0% - 0
No, workaround doesn't work for me5%5% - 1
Total: 19
mpec82
+-1|6734
A lot of players have experienced this bug: a lot of weapons, when they shoot at you, doesn't make any sound.

For example:

- enemies pkm
- enemies ak-101
- chinese mobile AA chaingun (when u are USMC and they are shooting at you)

This happens also to you?

Someone said that there is a workaround:

- uninstall the game (and clean the registry?)
- reinstall the game
- reinstall the FULL patch (not incremental)
Buffnuggles
+11|6745|The Hague, Netherlands
You're right, some times you don't hear the shot who killed you instantly.
nezff
+0|6772
i get the same thing.  I dont hear the shot that killed me.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6710|Germany

nezff wrote:

That's totally normal and I noticed this in 1.12 too,you are dead before you can hear the shot,try it once and let yourself get killed with a pumpshotty,you won't hear the bang if it is a one shot kill.
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6726|Norway
Well - I just saw bars of health falling off together with half the concrete-wall I was standing next to.. Just before I die I turn around... AHA!!! A bloody Tunguska is stealth-firing at me!!!

Knew I shouldn't have stood next to that arty-gun without my ear-muffs
Far
+22|6743|USA

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

nezff wrote:

That's totally normal and I noticed this in 1.12 too,you are dead before you can hear the shot,try it once and let yourself get killed with a pumpshotty,you won't hear the bang if it is a one shot kill.
No way. Its not normal.
280+ hours I've played prior to 1.2 I've never not heard either a) my enemies fire, or b) the sound of myself being hit.
With EAX on and 5.1 speakers I always, always, heard not only the enemies gunfire but also what direction it was coming from.
At least 10 times now I've even WATCHED the guy pump me full of lead but never heard a thing.
Something has changed with 1.2's sound, no one will be able to convince me otherwise.

[edit to quote]

Last edited by Far (2006-02-17 18:04:59)

Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6726|Norway
Yeah - if you havn't unlocked the special ear-protectors (they'r pink and fluffy) you'll eventually go deaf from all the gun-fire going on

If that isn't a nice addition to this game i don't know what is
A=10
+-2|6799|U.K DURHAM
its not normal man i have some hours playing this game since new patch its started doing it as well as this strange ass number in the ground. yes im well stumped dont know if any of you guys have had it but i was in a squad early on. and all of us could see this mad number any way the patch has lots of bugs if you ask me its ok ea we will pay to beta test your games.
Far
+22|6743|USA
wow, 179 views and only 9 votes.
Anyway, I tried the game with EAX turned off and, although it's probably too soon to say for sure, I think it might have "fixed" the problem.
mpec82
+-1|6734

Far wrote:

wow, 179 views and only 9 votes.
Anyway, I tried the game with EAX turned off and, although it's probably too soon to say for sure, I think it might have "fixed" the problem.
let us know
Far
+22|6743|USA

mpec82 wrote:

let us know
No luck. It seems to happen less frequently but it still happens none-the-less.

Last edited by Far (2006-02-19 00:56:18)

mimah
Critically Wounded
+6|6714|A van down by the river!
i noticed this alot more after the patch and tonight a few times an apc fired at me while i was looking at it and took half health the killed me with the next shot no sound no blast from his cannon it as if it is just looking at you but he sure as hell was firing at me
MaximumMayhem
+27|6663|Mashtuur Boulevard
EXACTLY!!! Here I thought it was only my imagination and that perhaps players were becoming more adept at scoring headshots thereby reducing the amount of bullets in your direction.  I get the same problem from PKMs, LAVs, the gun turrets ontop of HMMWVs, DAO-12s, G3s, Engineer shotguns, etc, etc..

I can also verify that this major problem was non existent in version 1.12. 

It's like having a sensory disadvantage ingame. 

Has anyone else noticed that it's not only the sound, but also the fact that you drop VERY fast..? Eg. Usually if you turned a corner and a LAV fired off at you, you'd hear shots coming and the pounding sound of them hitting the area around you, aswell as the cannon shooting them out.. depending how well you ran (or how poor the shooter is) it would take roughly two to three seconds for said attacker to put you down.  Now, its only a matter of turning the corner for a split second and BLAM... dropped without a sight or single sound.

At first I honestly thought people were hacking the system, getting such amazingly quick stealth kills, until it happened from ALOT of people on tons of different servers.

So, in my opinion, it seems that more than just sound is affected.. perhaps in an attempt to beef up weapons, DICE somehow screwed up timing on some of them.  But wouldn't this affect everyone, instead of just a select few?

What sort of hardware does everyone have?

I have an ePox 9NDA3 Motherboard (Onboard RealTek AC97 audio using 5.10.0.5870 Drivers)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8ghz) CPU
Leadtek nVidia GeForce FX 5900XT 128mb GPU (Using nVidia 81.98 Drivers)
1gb of RAM (Dual Channel)

I have a feeling this seems to be a 'shortcut' of somewhat that has blown up in their face which needs to be addressed pronto as nothing is worth this..
JonskyGBR
+5|6686|England
I noticed it pre 1.2 anytime I got hit by a tank shell was definitely no sound.

post 1.2 I watched a guy kill me with a P90, never heard a thing.
MaximumMayhem
+27|6663|Mashtuur Boulevard
I have found what may be a temporary fix.

Reduce your sound acceleration in Control Panel / Sounds & Audio Devices, under the Audio Tab, select your soundcard in Soundplayback and then press the Advanced button. The slider is under the Performance tab.  After setting mine to Standard Acceleration, the sound problem seemed non-existent.  This could be a sheer fluke though.  I'll keep you all updated.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard