TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5998|Toronto
if you still have issues after it's checked, start a new thread. we'll be sure to help as much as we can.
good luck!
I like pie.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6585|Mountains of NC

btw how many miles does it have
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6462|The Land of Scott Walker
I edited my post w/ more details GS, hope that helps.  Most of it is replacement of the cable, but it does reference adjustment.  Even if you have to replace the cable, that's a heck of a lot cheaper than a transmission.  My car's accelerator started taking more force to push and it would not want to shift like you mentioned and also revved higher.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-02-14 18:01:08)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661

SEREMAKER wrote:

btw how many miles does it have
close to 100,000
Stingray24
Oh you could also try taking it to an AutoZone shop and they'll hook the car up to their code sensor machine which may determine what this issue is.  Then again it may not, but it's free so worth a shot.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6585|Mountains of NC

I called up one of my buddys, he suggested disconnecting the battery to reboot computer

now that you have a few options, you can go to a mechanic and suggest these actions and they won't dick you around bc you know what you're looking for
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
jarhedch
+12|6687|Aberdeen, Uk, SF Bay Area 1st
before you do anything, get your catalytic converter checked, that would explain the hissing, the fact it's getting worse, the funny shifting, and lack of power, and a 4000 rpm max rev. it stems from the fact that exhaust cannot get past the cat and prevents the engine from filling the cylinders with fresh air and fuel. and yes, i am a mechanic.

Last edited by jarhedch (2008-02-14 18:36:19)

Stingray24
I can without a doubt say it is NOT the EPA's catalytic converter.  It's just a worthless part of the exhaust system.  It has nothing to do with engine or transmission function.

Edit: My 1st car an 85 Buick had a massive hole in the catalytic converter and it ran great.  No problems with acceleration or shifting.  The problem GS has described is to the detail exactly the same as my car and adjusting the throttle cable fixed it.  I could have completely removed the catalytic converter and it wouldn't have adversely affected the car in any way.  It'd only make the EPA mad.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-02-14 18:43:07)

jsnipy
+3,276|6539|...

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

TSI wrote:

um, i'd help if I had some more info. What exactly happens? does it rev up? does it click? does it creak? any noise at all, or just won't change gear, feels like you're revving pointlessly?
I hear a hissing sound when I rev it and its stops hissing when it finally decides to change gear.

fluid levels are up.  Thats all I know how to check really.
vacuum hose, unless you have a turbo and not realize it
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661

jarhedch wrote:

before you do anything, get your catalytic converter checked, that would explain the hissing, the fact it's getting worse, the funny shifting, and lack of power, and a 4000 rpm max rev. it stems from the fact that exhaust cannot get past the cat and prevents the engine from filling the cylinders with fresh air and fuel. and yes, i am a mechanic.
the mechanic I was working for all week hooked up one of those machines.  It said my thermostat sensor was out, knew that. but when he looked at it, he noticed how bad the hose that connects the engine to the air intake? wasnt secured and how bad it would be able to let dirt in.  after he fastened it correctly and tightened it and took off and put back the sensor thats attachedm My check engine light turned off and my thermostat started reading again
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6657|Your moms bedroom
check your spark plugs/plug wires, check the air filter (probably not it but hey its a good time to check right?)

Last edited by Locoloki (2008-02-14 18:45:17)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661

SEREMAKER wrote:

I called up one of my buddys, he suggested disconnecting the battery to reboot computer

now that you have a few options, you can go to a mechanic and suggest these actions and they won't dick you around bc you know what you're looking for
the mechanic also suggested I do that as well.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6016|The Mitten

Stingray24 wrote:

I can without a doubt say it is NOT the EPA's catalytic converter.  It's just a worthless part of the exhaust system.  It has nothing to do with engine or transmission function.
Do you even know what a catalytic converter does?
Okay, maybe you do. But you do know what the importance of the exhaust system is?
EE (hats
Stingray24
The catalytic converter is an emissions control device.  The engine will run without it and the transmission will shift without it.
jarhedch
I can say without a doubt that it could very well be the catalytic converter, and no they aren't worthless, we wouldn't have clean cars today without them. I've seen a choked cat cause an engine to not run, and a 460 ford engine fail to reach 25 mph. They can be problematic, and judging from the miles on the car, it's a good possibility. Unless you have a check engine light on, hooking up and reading codes will do no good, as unless the lioghts on the ECM has found no problem with a sensor. . Is the Overdrive light on? if not, then the transmission ECM has no faults stored in it. you would be wasting your money having codes read that will have nothing to do with you problem. Drive it to an exhaust shop, pay the $20 it'll take to have them test the cat, and then go from there. My money's on the cat. a cat can cause problems and ECMs will not pick them up, as it is a mechanical not an electronic issue.

Last edited by jarhedch (2008-02-14 18:53:47)

jarhedch

Stingray24 wrote:

The catalytic converter is an emissions control device.  The engine will run without it and the transmission will shift without it.
yes, it will, but if they get blocked up an engine may not run at all.
Stingray24
True, but the engine is running fine, it's the shifting that's the issue for GS.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6016|The Mitten

Stingray24 wrote:

I gave you credit for the catalytic converter. However, the rest of the exhaust is import in keeping the proper back pressure.

Last edited by Morpheus1229 (2008-02-14 18:55:08)

EE (hats
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661

jarhedch wrote:

I can say without a doubt that it could very well be the catalytic converter, and no they aren't worthless, we wouldn't have clean cars today without them. I've seen a choked cat cause an engine to not run, and a 460 ford engine fail to reach 25 mph. They can be problematic, and judging from the miles on the car, it's a good possibility. Unless you have a check engine light on, hooking up and reading codes will do no such thing. Is the Overdrive light on? if not, then the transmission ECM has no faults stored in it. you would be wasting your money having codes read that will have nothing to do with you problem. Drive it to an exhaust shop, poay the $20 it'll take to have them test the cat, and then go from there. My money's on the cat.
the mechanic I was working hooked up his machine.  Had two faults, both to do with the sensor for the thermostat.  something to do with reading the radiator at too low a temp. thats when we did maintenance on that sensor and hose.  On my way home, the radiator read and the check engine light turned off.  But the problems that I was begining to have during the week just started getting worse as I drove.
jarhedch

Stingray24 wrote:

True, but the engine is running fine, it's the shifting that's the issue for GS.
yes, but it also won't rev past 4000, there's a hissing sound (posiibly exhaust trying to escape through the cat.) and no power, these all point to a problem with the engine, and the trans is not shifting due to the lack of power. a trans that won't shift if the engine is fine will let the engine rev well past 4000. trust me, i've seen problems with these exact symptoms and it's always been the cat.
Reciprocity
+721|6598|the dank(super) side of Oregon
I am an ASE certified mechanic.

I don't think your transmission, a 4T-60E, uses a throttle cable. 

off hand I don't recall if your transmission has a vacuum modulator, if it does, and it's disconnected, that could be the source of problem and your hissing noise.  check for a hard plastic/metal vacuum line with rubber hoses at each end going from the top of your throttle body, down the front facing part of your engine, and into a gold or silver colored metal, round thing on the side of the transmission.  if it's there make sure it's plugged  in and make sure there are no leaks. 

jarhedch's suggestion of a bad catalytic converter is a possibility, especially if you were having a coolant sensor malfunction, it can cause a permanant rich running condition that can burn up a cat and induce excessive back pressure.  but generally on your generation of car that would cause a check engine light to illuminate.

beyond that, I'd check your fluid level and condition, make sure it is bright red or pink color and doesn't smell burned.

good luck.
Stingray24
Aright jarhedch, but with my car the symptoms were exactly what GS describes and it wasn't the cat.  Whatever the case, hopefully it's a cheap fix.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-02-14 19:01:03)

jarhedch

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

jarhedch wrote:

I can say without a doubt that it could very well be the catalytic converter, and no they aren't worthless, we wouldn't have clean cars today without them. I've seen a choked cat cause an engine to not run, and a 460 ford engine fail to reach 25 mph. They can be problematic, and judging from the miles on the car, it's a good possibility. Unless you have a check engine light on, hooking up and reading codes will do no such thing. Is the Overdrive light on? if not, then the transmission ECM has no faults stored in it. you would be wasting your money having codes read that will have nothing to do with you problem. Drive it to an exhaust shop, poay the $20 it'll take to have them test the cat, and then go from there. My money's on the cat.
the mechanic I was working hooked up his machine.  Had two faults, both to do with the sensor for the thermostat.  something to do with reading the radiator at too low a temp. thats when we did maintenance on that sensor and hose.  On my way home, the radiator read and the check engine light turned off.  But the problems that I was begining to have during the week just started getting worse as I drove.
sounds about right, the problem you had causing the light to come on was fixed, the ECM picked up on that, and turned the light off. as far as the ECM cares, everything is working fine. which is why you have no light on. your problem stems from a mechanical issue that will not be picked up by the ECM.
jarhedch

Reciprocity wrote:

I am an ASE certified mechanic.

I don't think your transmission, a 4T-60E, uses a throttle cable. 

off hand I don't recall if your transmission has a vacuum modulator, if it does, and it's disconnected, that could be the source of problem and your hissing noise.  check for a hard plastic/metal vacuum line with rubber hoses at each end going from the top of your throttle body, down the front facing part of your engine, and into a gold or silver colored metal, round thing on the side of the transmission.  if it's there make sure it's plugged  in and make sure there are no leaks. 

jarhedch's suggestion of a bad catalytic converter is a possibility, especially if you were having a coolant sensor malfunction, it can cause a permanant rich running condition that can burn up a cat and induce excessive back pressure.  but generally on your generation of car that would cause a check engine light to illuminate.

beyond that, I'd check your fluid level and condition, make sure it is bright red or pink color and doesn't smell burned.

good luck.
thank you, and i am sure it doesn't have a vacuum mod, but i wasn't sure about the TV cable. and i was just beginning to explain aboutt he temp sensor malfunction
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6661
how much is this cat converter fix cost?

this was the right place to get info from.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-02-14 19:11:30)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard