mikkel
+383|6609

sergeriver wrote:

mikkel wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

You forget that pilots are very underpaid people /sarcasm.
If you can afford to pay people high salaries, you can afford a few bottles of water. Of course they could buy their own, but the airlines could also supply basic necessities.
Do you know that most airlines are losing money?  Why do you think they give you shit for meal?
Not being able to run your business with a profit does not excuse failing to supply your employees with basic necessities.

usmarine wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

I don't think it's that big of a deal one way or the other.

The pilots have put a lot of their own money and time into the airline, a bottle of water per flight doesn't seem much to ask. I know they have a salary, but why argue over something like this? let them have it.
What about the people who work on the ramp loading bags?  What about the crew scheduler?  Should they all get free bottled water then?
There's a difference between working on the ground and being stuck in a cockpit for hours.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

mikkel wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

mikkel wrote:

If you can afford to pay people high salaries, you can afford a few bottles of water. Of course they could buy their own, but the airlines could also supply basic necessities.
Do you know that most airlines are losing money?  Why do you think they give you shit for meal?
Not being able to run your business with a profit does not excuse failing to supply your employees with basic necessities.
Absolutely. But they have been provided with basic necessities and aren't happy with that. They want luxuries, which they aren't entitled to and if they really want to drink expensive bottled water they can pay for it themselves.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

mikkel wrote:

There's a difference between working on the ground and being stuck in a cockpit for hours.
We don't hear any crying from the flight attendants.  And they are not "stuck" in the cockpit.  They chose to be there.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6750|London

usmarine wrote:

mikkel wrote:

We don't hear any crying from the flight attendants.  And they are not "stuck" in the cockpit.  They chose to be there.
Well, we're taking your word for that, I'm sure there are pilots who are on both sides of the fence as well as flight attendants.

Is there any link or something in the news about this?

I just doubt it's as black and white as all the old airline pilots are throwing hissy fits over bottled water.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6750|London

usmarine wrote:

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

An employer has the obligation to provide in some way for a worker's basic needs.  Access to water and restroom facilities being one of them.  If the airline wants, they can issue canteens or little cooler jugs to the pilots and require them to fill up before boarding each flight, just add an item to the pre-flight checklist ("Pilot canteen coolers are topped off with water").  Its not a black and white solution (bottled water or no water), both sides can give a little.
We did that.  We gave them nice little water bottles.  Now they are bitching about bacteria in the water bottles.....with no proof of course.  They apparently do not like that solution.  So, we provided them with the option.
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/01/20/124816.php
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6419|'Murka

Dauntless wrote:

usmarine wrote:

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

An employer has the obligation to provide in some way for a worker's basic needs.  Access to water and restroom facilities being one of them.  If the airline wants, they can issue canteens or little cooler jugs to the pilots and require them to fill up before boarding each flight, just add an item to the pre-flight checklist ("Pilot canteen coolers are topped off with water").  Its not a black and white solution (bottled water or no water), both sides can give a little.
We did that.  We gave them nice little water bottles.  Now they are bitching about bacteria in the water bottles.....with no proof of course.  They apparently do not like that solution.  So, we provided them with the option.
They wouldn't fill up with water from the plane, as that water is clearly marked "non-potable". They would fill up elsewhere before boarding, as USM points out above.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6750|London

FEOS wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

usmarine wrote:

They wouldn't fill up with water from the plane, as that water is clearly marked "non-potable". They would fill up elsewhere before boarding, as USM points out above.
You're right, my bad, I miss read the article.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Dauntless wrote:

usmarine wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Well, we're taking your word for that, I'm sure there are pilots who are on both sides of the fence as well as flight attendants.

Is there any link or something in the news about this?

I just doubt it's as black and white as all the old airline pilots are throwing hissy fits over bottled water.
No link, this is internal.(for now)

Of course there is always more to it.  They were hired and accepted the job non-union.  Now some of the old airline guys want to be union.  The same guys who need deer park water in order to survive.
jord
+2,382|6686|The North, beyond the wall.

usmarine wrote:

I just doubt it's as black and white.
lulz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

jord wrote:

usmarine wrote:

lulz
I didn't write that you tosser.
jord
+2,382|6686|The North, beyond the wall.

usmarine wrote:

jord wrote:

usmarine wrote:

lulz
I didn't write that you tosser.
Figured I'd repay the favour, douche bag.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

Airlines hit their passengers up for as much as they can get, so I'm not too irritated if one of their pilots makes off with a glass of company water. I mean, come on...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-02-11 15:01:12)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6765|Argentina

mikkel wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

mikkel wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

I don't think it's that big of a deal one way or the other.

The pilots have put a lot of their own money and time into the airline, a bottle of water per flight doesn't seem much to ask. I know they have a salary, but why argue over something like this? let them have it.
What about the people who work on the ramp loading bags?  What about the crew scheduler?  Should they all get free bottled water then?
They receive a lot of money for doing what they like to do.  They ain't stuck in a cockpit, they're getting paid for doing what they like the most.  How many people can say the same thing?  Pilots are usually arrogant people and they believe they are like gods.  Believe me I know a few ones.  And yes, they have a great responsibility, but at the same time the job isn't that hard for them.  At the end of the day they only touch a couple of switches and make a few checks on the instruments and that's it, the planes today fly almost by themselves.
If they want some expensive water let them pay for it.  Besides, they get laid with a lot of hot flight attendants.  What a heavy job...
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6558|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Arguments where one side is branded a "cry baby" always make me laugh because it implies the fact of the matter is trivial, which by definition makes both sides petty when argueing their case.

Yes, pilots could bring their own water but does a company really need to be that cheap?  Everywhere I have worked you get certain perks, whether it be a discount or some of the produce.

I have worked in many restaurants and I wonder how the argument would change if it was Restauranters calling time on free lunches for their staff (bring your own food etc).  I'm guessing more would sympathise; my point being that we love to see people with better jobs/more money than us suffer.

Last edited by =OBS= EstebanRey (2008-02-11 15:52:41)

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6750|London

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Arguments where one side is branded a "cry baby" always make me laugh because it implies the fact of the matter is trivial, which by definition makes both sides petty when argueing their case.

Yes, pilots could bring their own water but does a company really need to be that cheap?  Everywhere I have worked you get certain perks, whether it be a discount or some of the produce.

I have worked in many restaurants and I wonder how the argument would change if it was Restauranters calling time on free lunches for their staff (bring your own food etc).  I'm guessing more would sympathise; my point being that we love to see people with better jobs/more money than us suffer.
QFT

Especially the first line. I was going to say something like that before but didn't get round to it.

sergeriver wrote:

They receive a lot of money for doing what they like to do.  They ain't stuck in a cockpit, they're getting paid for doing what they like the most.  How many people can say the same thing?  Pilots are usually arrogant people and they believe they are like gods.  Believe me I know a few ones.  And yes, they have a great responsibility, but at the same time the job isn't that hard for them.  At the end of the day they only touch a couple of switches and make a few checks on the instruments and that's it, the planes today fly almost by themselves.
If they want some expensive water let them pay for it.  Besides, they get laid with a lot of hot flight attendants.  What a heavy job...
They also have to be away from their families/girlfriends for long periods of time (maybe not in this case, I don't know about USM's airline) and have to put a lot of time and money into the company. Not to mention the weight of responsibility that they have.

Sure, they aren't slave labours, but why make things harder for them for the sake of a bottle of water?
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5969|Washington DC
I can see both sides of the issue. Frankly the pilots should just buy some Nalgene bottles or Camelbaks, fill them up at water fountains before flight, and leave it at that. They'd probably make up the cost in an hour of flight, and then some.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-02-11 16:10:38)

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6750|London

After looking at what the first officers make in your airline usm, they really should be allowed to have one bottle of water per flight...

Average FO making approximately $35,000+ per year with 1500 stock options plus an additional 500 based on company performance.
They can make almost double that in Europe.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard