GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644
I love the shit hook!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Anyone know the figures on operating cost/payload carried/distance.
Can it glide/autorotate and make a clean landing in the event of engine failure?
From an engineering standpoint it looks an inherently complex and risky system.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
I have a friend in Iraq who is an Osprey mechanic and he says they are very reliable now...
https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/catbox777/DSCF0136resized.jpg
Love is the answer
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

Dilbert_X wrote:

Can it glide/autorotate and make a clean landing in the event of engine failure?
video game forum...
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
I could ask my friend in Iraq but i wouldn't post any info about it...
Love is the answer
Skorpy-chan
+127|6346|Twyford, UK

Dilbert_X wrote:

If it's in chopper mode and hovering, it can autorotate. If it's flying, it can glide. If it's in chopper mode and moving forwards at a decent speed, it does both.
It IS inherently complex and risky, but it's got longer range than an equivalent helicopter, carries more, and takes off and lands vertically, unlike the nearest model of plane. You can insert a special forces team from a ship over the horizon, without risking attack or political fallout from the ship being in territorial waters.
You can also lug supplies across a country without a runway at either end.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If it's in chopper mode and hovering, it can autorotate. If it's flying, it can glide. If it's in chopper mode and moving forwards at a decent speed, it does both.
But if its flying and gliding it can't land because the props are too big - can it change mode with its engines out?
What happens if one of the two engines fail - is the only option to kill the live engine and land? As I understand it there is no connecting driveshaft.
It looks like a complex solution to a simple problem TBH, apart from the additional range.

usmarine wrote:

video game forum...
Lets just discuss video games then.
Chuy - please close down D&ST
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

But if its flying and gliding it can't land because the props are too big - can it change mode with its engines out?
What happens if one of the two engines fail - is the only option to kill the live engine and land? As I understand it there is no connecting driveshaft.
It looks like a complex solution to a simple problem TBH, apart from the additional range.
It does have a connecting shaft that allows a single engine to drive both propellers.

As for gliding, you only have to worry about the props if you're going to land it...no different than a typical prop-driven plane whose landing gear won't come down.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lets just discuss video games then.
Chuy - please close down D&ST
I acutally agree with you for once.  +1
smartdude992
Keep your head down, smart's got a gun
+30|5932|Georgia, US of A

David.P wrote:

How many insurgents did it kill? And can i have their organs?
I'll fight you for the organs!!!
David.P
Banned
+649|6275

smartdude992 wrote:

David.P wrote:

How many insurgents did it kill? And can i have their organs?
I'll fight you for the organs!!!
Never! I'll rip your testicles off with a 3inch switch blade in my shoe.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6488|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
The Osprey is intended to replace the Marine Corps fleet of aging CH-46 Helicopters. Most of the CH-46's that we have in the Marines are older than the pilots that fly them. We had one supporting us in 1999 that was from Vietnam.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ … -specs.htm

More detailed info on the right.
RECONDO67
+60|6637|miami FL
that thing would had lasted  30 seconds in VIETNAM.
the concept is awesome but what looks good on computer is not the best tool for out soldiers.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6329

Did anybody else have thoughts of the game Splinter Cell when hearing the words Osprey? Man I loved that series, and I think the osprey is pretty damn cool. I think they should paint em all black and make em stealthed (Ya, try making a tilt-rotor prop plane stealthed...)
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6346|Twyford, UK

RECONDO67 wrote:

that thing would had lasted  30 seconds in VIETNAM.
the concept is awesome but what looks good on computer is not the best tool for out soldiers.
Vietnam was littered with the latest in soviet SAMs, fighter jets, and AA guns. Afghanistan is just scattered liberally with MANPADS.

Also, the machines being older than the pilots is the way US support aircraft seem to be going. The B-52 is scheduled for another few decades, the other strategic bombers aren't facing replacements, and with no cold war, funding is slim.
RECONDO67
+60|6637|miami FL
I guess I just hate too retire a good horse thats has been the bone of the corps for over 40 years
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6632|New Hampshire, USA
"Its great...

...Except for that whole crashing thing..." 

I personally love the bird
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT

rdx-fx wrote:

Hallmark of a good System is it exceeds it's design requirements.  If a system works to specification.. good.  If that same system works "in the dirt and mud", after being in the hands of a pissed off Private for a year.. great.

Look at the B-52, the C-130, the AH-1, the UH-1, the H-6 'Littlebird'.
All systems that did their jobs, were more reliable than expected, and were adaptable to missions outside their spec sheet.

As a contrast, the Harrier is a cool plane.  Was supposed to be a good fighter and have VTOL capabilities enabling it to operate from forward bases (like an AH-1).  Instead, it was as delicate as a conventional fighter - and as vulnerable as a helicopter.  Got it's ass handed to it during the 1st gulf war.

Short version: If it's reliable in combat environments, cool, use it.  If it's an unreliable piece of "ooh shiny" that's going to get troops killed - send it back to the proving grounds until it works. Do NOT pull a McNamara and use combat troops as guinea pigs (M-16/Viet Nam)
P-47 should probably be added to that list, no?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT
World War II fighter, which was used just as (or more) effectively as a ground attack aircraft, was still useful in Korea and could have been in the early stages of Vietnam.
Black Amethyst
+1|5939
Hello 2142 GunShips
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It does have a connecting shaft that allows a single engine to drive both propellers.

As for gliding, you only have to worry about the props if you're going to land it...no different than a typical prop-driven plane whose landing gear won't come down.
Thanks for the info. I claim no in depth knowledge on this

If you're gliding you need to land pretty smartly, I guess that thing would glide like a brick?
In the flight position those massive rotors could cause some significant collateral damage when they hit the ground.

As far as inherent safety goes, does it have more or less moving parts than a conventional heli?
Many mechanical failures are survivable in a typical main/tail rotor machine.
It does seem to me any failure on either side and it slams sideways or upside down into the dirt.

Lack of side-guns looks significant also.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I suppose I'd rather sit on that thing than circle around town in a Humvee looking for bombs to blow up in my face.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-02-11 01:00:37)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I suppose I'd rather sit on that thing than circle around town in a Humvee looking for bombs to blow up in my face.
I think the idea is you'd be dropped off to circle around town on foot.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

rdx-fx wrote:

Hallmark of a good System is it exceeds it's design requirements.  If a system works to specification.. good.  If that same system works "in the dirt and mud", after being in the hands of a pissed off Private for a year.. great.

Look at the B-52, the C-130, the AH-1, the UH-1, the H-6 'Littlebird'.
All systems that did their jobs, were more reliable than expected, and were adaptable to missions outside their spec sheet.

As a contrast, the Harrier is a cool plane.  Was supposed to be a good fighter and have VTOL capabilities enabling it to operate from forward bases (like an AH-1).  Instead, it was as delicate as a conventional fighter - and as vulnerable as a helicopter.  Got it's ass handed to it during the 1st gulf war.

Short version: If it's reliable in combat environments, cool, use it.  If it's an unreliable piece of "ooh shiny" that's going to get troops killed - send it back to the proving grounds until it works. Do NOT pull a McNamara and use combat troops as guinea pigs (M-16/Viet Nam)
A-10. To think we were actually going to retire that thing prior to Desert Storm...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard