Ryan
+1,230|6874|Alberta, Canada

I have the following question:

(-3a^5b^-3c^0)^-2

As I'm simplifying, I'm getting 1/9a^-10b^6, and then c^0 to the power of -2 would still remain c^0, meaing it equals 1, or just c, correct? Do I leave it in the equation or get rid of it? I know I still have negative exponents, I'll get rid of them after this.

So should it be 1/9a^-10b^6c^0
or should it be 1/9a^-10b^6 (with no c in the equation)

Thanks to anyone who helps.
colt.45
I use air hacks.
+25|6506|B.C Canada
if you did all your calculations correct i think that anything raised to the power of 0 equals 1. leaving you with your second option 1/9a^-10b^6
Ryan

Another quick question:

Say you have (-3/2)^-2.

If you have a negative base, the answer will always be negative unless it has brackets and an even exponent, which this one does. Meaning it's positive. But then you still have the negative exponent, meaning you reciprocate it to get rid of it. What would he answer be?

4/9, right?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6716|United States of America
Use the motherfucking superscript code.
Ryan

DesertFox- wrote:

Use the motherfucking superscript code.
Too much work. Don't piss me off, I'm pissed off as it is. Either help of gtfo.
trippy982
+34|6429
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6478|Chicago, IL

Ryan wrote:

Another quick question:

Say you have (-3/2)^-2.

If you have a negative base, the answer will always be negative unless it has brackets and an even exponent, which this one does. Meaning it's positive. But then you still have the negative exponent, meaning you reciprocate it to get rid of it. What would he answer be?

4/9, right?
(-3/2)-2 = 1/(-3/2)2 = 1/(9/4) = 4/9
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6355|New Haven, CT

Ryan wrote:

Another quick question:

Say you have (-3/2)^-2.

4/9, right?
Yes.

Look at -3/2 as a variable v.

v-2=1/(v2)

So you have 1/(9/4), which becomes 4/9.
Ryan

Thought so, thanks guys. Karma for both.

One last thing though:

If I have -x-8 over y-2, how do I get them on the same line? Would I just bring the y-2 up to the top and change it to y2? That would make it -x-8y2.

I want it all on one line, not as a fraction anymore.

By bringing the numerator down to the denominator or vice versa, you just change the exponent from positive to negative, or vice versa.

Last edited by Ryan (2008-02-07 17:22:32)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6478|Chicago, IL

Ryan wrote:

One last thing though:

If I have -x-8 over y-2, how do I get them on the same line? Would I just bring the y-2 up to the top and change it to y2? That would make it -x-8y2.

By bringing the numerator down to the denominator or vice versa, you just change the exponent from positive to negative, or vice versa.
yes, just bring Y to the top, although, algebraically speaking, it isn't really simplified, just moved.
Ryan

S.Lythberg wrote:

Ryan wrote:

One last thing though:

yes, just bring Y to the top, although, algebraically speaking, it isn't really simplified, just moved.
Yeah, because then I have to reciprocate it to remove the negative exponent, but that wasn't part of the question. I need it on one line because I'm dividing it by something else.

So just bring y to the top and change the exponent to positive?
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6478|Chicago, IL

Ryan wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Ryan wrote:

One last thing though:

Yeah, because then I have to reciprocate it to remove the negative exponent, but that wasn't part of the question. I need it on one line because I'm dividing it by something else.

So just bring y to the top and change the exponent to positive?
If you flip the other term, it will become a multiplication problem, much easier than division of fractions.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6573|Texas - Bigger than France

trippy982 wrote:

don't you mean "5 with laserbeams"?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard